PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump it? Crop it?

Studio224
07-15-2001, 05:14 PM
I don't know what to do with it. I did a first version (before) and the colors on the right mingled and formed an awful greyish, muddish spot... I wasn't patient and worked wet in wet and yuk...

So I washed the damn spot and painted it again (after). But... still it seems bad to me. Should I dump it and forget it? Should I crop it? I am confused....

Anne-Claire

taghera
07-15-2001, 05:50 PM
Wow Anne-claire, theres a lot going on in this one, i think if you quietened down the foreground you would have an nice picture. :) :)

sun_merman
07-15-2001, 06:48 PM
Hey Anne-Claire...

I wouldn't dump it...perhaps a crop along the lines that taghera mentioned?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2001/Toscane1.jpg

Just a suggestion.

Javier
07-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Anne-Claire, I love the remote village scenes like the one you painted here in, "Should I dump it? Crop it?". I think you might be well served to follow Taghera's, who is a fine artist, advice and then frame it.

I think it would look great hanging on your studio wall.

The Best,

majaya
07-15-2001, 09:30 PM
this is a lovely folk interpretation of the scene. I prefer it with the foreground however I would go along with Hugh's suggestion and tone it down. Don't give up on it i really like it. Mary

Rich Parman
07-15-2001, 10:25 PM
Crop it . don't destroy all that beautiful work!

caro
07-16-2001, 03:31 AM
no, don't dump it! crop it!!!

ameliajordan
07-16-2001, 07:37 AM
crop it for sure. It will be a good painting

NorahT
07-16-2001, 08:39 AM
This a beautiful warm sunny painting. Crop it and frame it :)

Rosebud
07-16-2001, 09:24 AM
I concur...crop and frame !
Beautiful:clap:

Rose

Studio224
07-16-2001, 11:22 AM
Thank you to everyone that answered.... Ok I will not dump it, because I like too much this lighted houses... however let me impose once more on you....

I have manipulated my painting in Photoshop and came with 3 options: which one would be better?
1- toned down foreground
2- cropped on the right
3 - foreground cropped

Now that should be interesting! I have one favorite here, let's see if everybody agrees or if there is discussion...

Anne-Claire

Rosebud
07-16-2001, 11:32 AM
I'm leaning toward #1 with #3 a close second.

I like the work on the right side...leads the eye right in to the town...directional. Therefore #2 would not be an option for me.

Rosebud

Astur
07-16-2001, 11:57 AM
I like the whole composition of #1, but the foreground colors of #2.

Just an opinion from somone that can not do ANY paint as good as all of this are!!!

taghera
07-16-2001, 12:03 PM
Hi Anne-claire, no1 for me with the foreground even quieter than that, i think the cropped version (no3) takes away some of the depth to the painting, no2 to me just dosn't work for the reasons Rosebud has stated. :) :)

RuthT
07-16-2001, 01:01 PM
This is a lovely painting Anne-Claire.

I would go with no.3. IMHO dulling the foreground takes away from the sunny atmosphere of the painting, and I agree with Rosebud about leading the eye to the town, so no.2 would not be my choice either.

Which ever one you choose would look great hanging on the wall :)

swan
07-16-2001, 02:25 PM
Crop out the foreground for a stronger comp...the road leading in to the picture unites the foreground and the background.
You do not need the flowers.....perhaps create some interest in the blues of the skies to balance out the valley.

here is a pastel drawing I did, and also used photoshop to correct....I can figure out what I did wrong but the actual drawing is getting overworked.

I find that I have made the same mistake......too much info.....the hardest thing to do is keep to the essential....should edit out the flowers in the foreground.

Studio224
07-16-2001, 02:35 PM
Swan,

I see what you mean! Sometimes it's much easier to see the problems in someone else painting. We know our own so much, that we can't really see it anymore. I agree with you, your flowers int the foreground should be edited out. Can you do that in pastel? (I don't know zip about pastel...)

And about mine... I think I shall first tone done the foregroud, and then... if I don't like it, I can still crop the foreground (nš2).

Anne-Claire

Leaflin
07-16-2001, 04:48 PM
Anne-Claire
This has been an interesting thread and I have enjoyed all of the advice you have received.
I like choice number one the best :)

NorahT
07-16-2001, 05:43 PM
Hi 224 - one of the things I like especially about this painting is the warm sunny feel - so #1 is out for me. My vote would be very strongly for #3. Whatever version you decide on - I would definitely frame it.

iyoung
07-16-2001, 07:32 PM
This is a very attractive painting, bright and nicely painted. I think the problem you're having with your first version is that it's too static. The composition is balanced and has no movement to it. I think if you perhaps put a small focal point off-center -like someone going up the road, you'd like it better. Try it on an overlay and see if you like it.

As to the crop, that seems to work, but perhaps less balanced so there'd be more movement in the composition? This one I'm going to try to upload has the foreground cropped a little closer to give the clear emphasis to the sky and buildings and to let the darker values form a quicker sort of streak vertically across the composition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2001/tos3.jpg

All your versions are nice, though. It's a win win situation.

Ilene

majaya
07-16-2001, 10:54 PM
I'm for #1 but however you need to add more variation in your darks to add some depth here . As it is the foreground looks washed out. Mary

yogi
07-16-2001, 11:52 PM
Add a lake in solution #3? Hope you don't mind. I took your #3 pic into Photoshop to add a lake. How it could be done in watercolor, I haven't a clue. Just an idea you might want to ponder, though.

I love the buildings.

Studio224
07-17-2001, 03:16 AM
Just wanted to let you know that the "toning down" the foreground has started... We are go for nš1. If it doesn't work out, we'll go to nš 3.

And I say "we" because everyone has helped me a lot!

Yogi: I don't think I could manage to add a lake now. I would have to wipe out the paint but the paper would never be white again, and I am afraid the lake would be muddy... But that would be an option in another version!

Anne-Claire

daydreamer
07-17-2001, 11:19 AM
I like the composition the way it is...uncropped.

However, I wouldn't "tone down" the foreground as much as I would to to an extreme dark value. That would have the effect of framing the village and pushing the eye up into it.

To me, with the foreground in, it adds a nice balance to the village. With it cropped, the village is in the middle, not in an area of 3rds. It's too centered.

I really liked the scene with the foreground. Adds nice depth. I think your village would pop even more if you darkened the foreground.

IMHO.

Sandi
07-17-2001, 02:02 PM
<~~ echo's Daydreamer.

Ruth
07-18-2001, 06:12 AM
Before you crop, consider the impact you can gain from more value contrast:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2001/tosc.jpg

I moved the tower over a little because it was very close to center.

A very good teacher (Alex Powers) told me to try to have a path of light through a painting. Let the light come in from somewhere, go somewhere, and exit somewhere. Put your darkest dark and lightest light together at the most important point in the painting, and that's where the viewer's eye will go. Let the path of light lead you to it.

Ruth

daydreamer
07-18-2001, 07:50 AM
:D

fabulous application of value. Wonderful!

Studio224
07-18-2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Ruth
Before you crop, consider the impact you can gain from more value contrast:

I moved the tower over a little because it was very close to center.

A very good teacher (Alex Powers) told me to try to have a path of light through a painting. Let the light come in from somewhere, go somewhere, and exit somewhere. Put your darkest dark and lightest light together at the most important point in the painting, and that's where the viewer's eye will go. Let the path of light lead you to it.

Ruth

Oh yes, I see what you mean... my values are very close one to another. Maybe I should do that one all over again, I am a bit scared of ruining it. Although I don't like to do the same things over and over.
I have learned a lot with this thread however and I will apply it in another painting.

Anne-Claire

mli_wpg
07-18-2001, 02:32 PM
I'm a bit late in the game here... great painting. I just love the colours... they are so vibrant. My vote goes to # 3, crop a bit of the foreground out. Keep up the great work.

ameliajordan
07-19-2001, 03:07 PM
I'll be looking for the final version. My favorite cropping is Iyoung's.

Studio224
07-22-2001, 10:04 AM
I am back, I toned down the foreground, somehow I feel I must stop here, I don't want to "mud" these greens. I am inclined to stop now, I think too much more and this painting would loose its "naive" quality.

To the ones that suggested cropping... I don't think I will, somehow this foreground explains why the village is there (these plants are vines... this village produces wine and at the same time they are spiritual people (the church up there), and all theses houses looking down at their plantations and also looking at the sky). At least that's what I wanted to imply in this painting... (by the way this is a real village in Italy).

Ruth: I haven't had the guts to do what you suggested here. I think it makes sense but I have been scared to ruin it... I will however bear in mind this "path of light" concept in my next paintings: this is a strong concept...

Thanks to everyone that took the time to look at my little village and expressed an opinion: I learned a lot from you!

Anne-Claire

PS: to simplify the viewing, I join here version 1 and version 2... and the big one is the one... :)

NorahT
07-22-2001, 10:33 AM
I would happily hang this on my wall :) :)

Studio224
07-23-2001, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by NorahT
I would happily hang this on my wall :) :)

Norah, Thank you!

Anne-Claire

mclaughlin
07-23-2001, 05:40 AM
Please, don't dump it. It's a beautyful piece of Art.

Reye
07-25-2001, 03:04 PM
Anne-Claire
Hey...do not dump anything you do!!! I like it ...as always.
Jerry

Studio224
07-25-2001, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Reye
Anne-Claire
Hey...do not dump anything you do!!! I like it ...as always.
Jerry

Jerry,

thank you... I think this one is going to be framed...

Anne-Claire

T-Rex
07-25-2001, 08:33 PM
Hi Anne-Claire,

It turned out great:clap: Real learning experience, thanks for sharing....Karen

Masterartworks
07-26-2001, 11:17 AM
If you are not sure about cropping it, you might want to try cutting an old mat (that is larger than the painting) in half at two diagonal corners, leaving you with two corner pieces. Then experiment with the composition, moving the corners in and out, up and down, ect... It might help you decide whether to crop it, or not. Or help you see what would have made a better composition, and keep this in mind on you next painting. Also, keep in mind-as far as color is concerned that warm colors comes forward and cools go back, just as raw colors comes forward and gray colors back.

Lei

VictoriaS
07-26-2001, 05:54 PM
[i]I think this one is going to be framed...[/B]

It deserves it, Anne-Claire. What is the size?

Victoria

Studio224
07-26-2001, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by VictoriaS

It deserves it, Anne-Claire. What is the size?

Victoria

Thank you Victoria :)

The painting is small, about 8.2'' x 11.8''

Right now I have a painter painting the rooms of my house... When he is finished, I'll start framing some of my paintings... It's going to be strange seeing my own paintings on my own walls...

Anne-Claire

TeAnne
07-27-2001, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by sun_merman
Hey Anne-Claire...

I wouldn't dump it...perhaps a crop along the lines that taghera mentioned?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2001/Toscane1.jpg

Just a suggestion. I love this cropped to this one.

Studio224
07-27-2001, 03:24 AM
TeAnne, the problem here is that I have many paintings in one painting, but no, I won't crop it (neither dump it! that option already died!) :D

Anne-Claire

david ward
08-17-2001, 06:52 PM
All I can say is "wish I was there" and that's what does it for me. If it lifts my imagination it's got to be good and it does. Well done