PDA

View Full Version : Long-term storage of paintings on panels

jackbreakfast
01-11-2019, 02:22 AM
Hello! I have approximately 40 dry oil paintings on hardboard and ACM panels, ranging in size from 5x7 to 16x20. I am trying to find a good way to store them long-term. I wonder if any of you may have some good storage solutions? These are all unvarnished paintings that I may want to work on again someday. In the meantime I would like to keep them dust-free. Thank you truly for your consideration.

Pinguino
01-11-2019, 12:43 PM
For 5x7, you can obtain plastic cases (https://www.containerstore.com/s/collections/photo-storage/iris-6-case-5-x-7--photo-and-craft-storage-box/12d?productId=11000325) intended for storing photographs. There are other sources, as well as the one linked, and they can be purchased individually instead of a set. I use these for transporting wet 5"x7" board and palette, after making internal separator/holder from basswood strips. Punching a few holes for ventilation is advisable. Would easily hold 4 dry boards (1/8 thick each) with small separations, unless you do deep impasto.

I don't know of larger sizes, but there are a variety of storage solutions for this-and-that (not specific to art), so look around.

Remember that, in general, cured oil paint yellows when kept in the dark. Will lighten upon exposure to light.

MrsSellers
01-11-2019, 01:27 PM
I am in the process of making a storage device that consists of vertical dowels glued into holes drilled in a piece of lumber. It isn't finished because I keep running out of dowels. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it after work tonight. I think I got the idea from something I saw on a blog. The drawback is that it wouldn't keep them dust free without modification.

MrsSellers
01-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Here is my home made panel holder holding a 9x12 panel. It has just occurred to me that if I hadn't glued the pegs, it would be adjustable.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2019/2014487-IMG_2137.JPG

jackbreakfast
01-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Well done! Thank you for sharing this!

jackbreakfast
01-12-2019, 01:54 PM
I don't know of larger sizes, but there are a variety of storage solutions for this-and-that (not specific to art), so look around.

Remember that, in general, cured oil paint yellows when kept in the dark. Will lighten upon exposure to light.

Thank you for these suggestions! I've thus far been averse to storing paitings in the dark for that very reason! I feel I should overcome my fears because of course the darkening is completely reversible.

TomMather
01-12-2019, 02:44 PM
This topic is of great interest to me! Keep the ideas coming. I have a large number of paintings to store, many of them on panels, and Iím running out of space. Ideally I could reduce the inventory by selling but that hasnít worked out too well lately.

Iíve currently got a lot of panels leaned up against each other in my studio as well as some stacked in drawers. Others are displayed around the house, and Iíve given away others as gifts.

clearlight
01-14-2019, 04:11 PM
I stack my panels by size with wax paper in between .. make sure they lay flat so they don't warp. Store in dust-proof boxes .. works good.

TomMather
01-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Kate - Thatís a simple solution! I suppose that parchment paper would work as well.