PDA

View Full Version : The Little Boat that could...Corsica

sun_merman
07-15-2001, 04:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2001/Boatmen2.jpg

Well, here's another in the series on Italy...I think this one is done, but as always, I welcome your comments!

Javier
07-15-2001, 04:21 PM
Sun_Merman, I like this painting, "The Little Boat That Could ...Corsica", because it has elements of things that I like with watercolor paintings -- rocks, the sea, and a boat. And I like your color choices.

The Best,

Studio224
07-15-2001, 05:21 PM
Sun Merman,

Best parts of your painting are your rocks and your water! Something is bothering me about the boat but I can't find what exactly.

Anne-Claire

taghera
07-15-2001, 05:59 PM
Very nice, i think what anne-claire means about the boat is that its all one tone, try to vary the tones more, have the bottom of the boat darker, and also have a light and dark side to the cabin as well. :)

sun_merman
07-15-2001, 06:36 PM
Thanks Javier, anne-claire & taghera.

Just for comparison, here's the photo I took that I did the watercolor from.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2001/Boat1.jpg

majaya
07-15-2001, 09:54 PM
Your water is amazing: great colour, a lot of movement...it really appears to be churning. One thing that I noticed is that you have a line of the water's colour under the red box on the cabin. It seems to flatten the boat against the water at that point. The crevice in the rock at the top I find distracting. It is pulling my eye away from the boat. I think it is because it is directly in the centre of the piece. But again the water is super, great technique here. Mary

Rosebud
07-16-2001, 09:41 AM
Sun,

Great:clap:

Wonderful rocks.
And your water looks fabulous !! I struggle with water.
Your technique ? Wet...or lots of layers of color ?

Overall a BEAUTIFUL painting. Well done:D

Rose

sun_merman
07-16-2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Rosebud
Sun,

Great:clap:

Wonderful rocks.
And your water looks fabulous !! I struggle with water.
Your technique ? Wet...or lots of layers of color ?
Lots of layers of color.

Overall a BEAUTIFUL painting. Well done:D

Rose

Thanks for your comments

sun_merman
07-16-2001, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by majaya
Your water is amazing: great colour, a lot of movement...it really appears to be churning. One thing that I noticed is that you have a line of the water's colour It doesn't show very well in the posted image, but the color is actually the same color as the rear portion of the boat. under the red box on the cabin. It seems to flatten the boat against the water at that point. The crevice in the rock at the top I find distracting. It is pulling my eye away from the boat. I think it is because it is directly in the centre of the piece. But again the water is super, great technique here. Mary

Thank you very much for your comments.

Rosemarie
07-16-2001, 01:49 PM
Yes, you have a lot of colours in your paintings too!
I need sunglasses:cool: to look at the water. To me it looks like tke water and the boat has the same colors and values (I hope I use the right words..) so either tone down the water, for example with a thin layer of indigo, something that is not as yellow in the tone or darken/saturete the boat. Also I would like darker shadows on the boat.
I think I would work on the baot because I love the water, it looks so clear and I know the the Mediterrainian water is not that good.

Leaflin
07-16-2001, 04:36 PM
Vibrant colours :)
Time to put a frame on it.

rsmak
07-16-2001, 08:52 PM
very nice,I especially like the water!
rosanna

cheapciggies
07-18-2001, 09:04 AM
Hiya, would like to say i love the sea effect you have created, looks to me like the boat is caught up in a churning swell, but not to life threatening!

T-Rex
07-18-2001, 02:06 PM
hiya SM,

I like the little boat as is:D ...Karen

ameliajordan
07-18-2001, 02:15 PM
Nice painting. I like your water color better than that in photo but think you need to lighten the dark crevice because such a dark value at the edge pulls the eye right out of the painting. In the photo the foreground water is also a very dark value like the inside of the boat cabin and the crevice. Just because you changed the value of one doesn't mean you should change the others but in this case I think it would help.