PDA

View Full Version : Alkyd Resin Thickening in Storage

autolisp
01-06-2019, 01:35 PM
Am I correct in thinking that a part used tin of alkyd resin that I stored for about 9 months, with the lid firmly on the tin, that has thickened similar to 'gunge' is only fit to be disposed of and cannot be reconstituted to it's former fluid self?

contumacious
01-06-2019, 02:00 PM
What brand is it? See what is recommended for thinning by the maker of what you own. For example, Galkyd can be thinned with Gamsol. I would test a spoonful first before dumping solvent into the bottle. If adding the recommended thinner to your thickened Alkyd medium doesn't work, then you could try a stronger solvent such as Turpentine or Oil of Spike, again on a small test sample.

A way to keep this from happening in the future is to put glass marbles into the container to keep the level as close to completely full as you can. If it thickens over time, add small amounts of the recommended solvent, mixed in until it is like it was when new. You can also put a small amount of the maker's recommended thinning solvent on top of that surface, not mixing it in, to help keep it from skinning over or thickening. I have several Alkyd mediums that are over 5 years old and they are in the same condition they were when I bought them using the above techniques.

AnnieA
01-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Thanks for asking the question, autolisp, and to you too, contumacious, for those tips. I've had the same problem with thickening, but also my walnut-alykd medium has darkened over time. Gives me pause...

autolisp
01-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Since posting my question I found a possible solution (excuse the pun). I added some to a bottle (it's more like very thick sticky honey than 'gunge'). I then added 20% of 2Butoxyethanol as I wanted to make it a water miscible version. I shook the living daylights out of it for about 5 minutes then left it to settle. It certainly is more fluid, but I will have to see if the added 2Butoxy has affected the drying rate of the alkyd. Thanks for your replies.

contumacious
01-06-2019, 03:46 PM
You are both welcome.

I am interested in seeing how your modifications go with the 2Butoxyethanol.

Thanks for asking the question, autolisp, and to you too, contumacious, for those tips. I've had the same problem with thickening, but also my walnut-alykd medium has darkened over time. Gives me pause...

Try setting the bottle near a window for a while. It might lighten up.

Humbaba
01-06-2019, 07:36 PM
2Butoxyethanol is carcinogenic, it can be absorbed by the skin. Now that you have added to your medium, it could have detrimental effects on your painting.

contumacious
01-07-2019, 10:44 AM
2Butoxyethanol is carcinogenic, it can be absorbed by the skin. Now that you have added to your medium, it could have detrimental effects on your painting.

According to Proposition 65, Titanium Oxide is also carcinogenic....along with Caffeine although popular demand and lobbying from the food industry convinced the State of California to remove Caffeine from their list that is growing more ridiculous every day.

Humbaba
01-07-2019, 11:47 AM
According to Proposition 65, Titanium Oxide is also carcinogenic....along with Caffeine although popular demand and lobbying from the food industry convinced the State of California to remove Caffeine from their list that is growing more ridiculous every day.

Caffeine is a gift from God, anyone talking trash about Caffeine will rot in hell.

Coffee drinker for almost 50 years, just as my Parents, Grandparents and back from the beginning.

autolisp
01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
I have just read all 7 pages of this chemical's Safety Data Sheet. Nowhere does it state that it is a Carcinogen. It does state that it is harmful if swallowed. But as I do not intend to drink my paint or additives I can discount that. As I take sensible safety precautions when dealing with it I am quite happy to continue to use it.

The result of my mixing it with the alkyd resin gave me two advantages.

1. It returned the resin to a 'liquid' form. So I saved some money.

2. Because I think the 'curing process' had partly started resulted in the thickening in the tin. It now dries in 24 hrs instead of 2 - days that was the previous rate.

french.painter
01-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Caffeine is a gift from God, anyone talking trash about Caffeine will rot in hell.

Coffee drinker for almost 50 years, just as my Parents, Grandparents and back from the beginning.
+1
I completely, totally, enthusiastically agree with you. Without caffeine I am not even able to paint. This magical molecule is fuel for my brain.

sidbledsoe
01-07-2019, 10:17 PM
I may rot in hell but here goes,
In 2017, a 16-year-old South Carolina high school student died from consuming too much caffeine He consumed a large McDonald’s latte, a large Mountain Dew, and an unknown energy drink within the two hours proceeding his collapse in the classroom.
In 2011, a 14-year-old girl consumed two 24 ounce cans of Monster (480mg caffeine) before going into cardiac arrest.
just saying 'cause I consume it every single day myself.