PDA

View Full Version : Black Mat

webart
01-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Do any of you frame your ink drawing in a black mat? I have several black mats that my brother talked me into buying years ago and they have been just lying around since I mat my ink art in white/ivory with an inner dark mat.

I do pen and ink pet portraits, is a black mat be appropriate for art?

Scene Chaser
01-03-2019, 10:26 PM
Hi Liz, I have several black mats too, but have not used them. I frame my pen & ink with a black frame in a double mat, white with a black core. I get them at a discount at a Michaels store with a coupon.

If I use the black mat, I think I'd use a gray frame.
Bill

Scene Chaser
01-03-2019, 10:27 PM
A white frame would work too.
Bill

mbankhead
01-04-2019, 11:14 AM
I use Black Mat a lot on my pen and inks, along with black frames or dark wood. I tend to like the look better than when I use white or cream. this is just a personal preference of mine, I feel like it is more of an elegant look. I also tend to use large mat and frame as well. All-in all it really is what catches your eye.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

webart
01-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I myself prefer a light color mat, maybe I'll let the customer decide. If he goes for black that's 1 down and 3 more to go since I have 4 of them.

Joel L
04-22-2019, 12:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2019/211333-BlackMats_sm.jpg

I tried black mats for some prints and I'm not sure I'm in love with them. I like a double mat with withe top and black bottom usually. I'm going to try some grey mats and see if I like those.

Payne's Grey
04-22-2019, 12:43 PM
For simple matting, I've always liked a large black mat. For a more fancy look, I like a double mat, white with a black inner mat, as Bill mentioned. And I prefer thin, black wood frames or brushed silver metal frames.

That's a beautiful display, Joel!

Joel L
04-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Thank you, John. I prefer the whiteish mat over black double mat as well. I just happen to have all the center cuts of the black mats from matting the originals lying around so I thought I use them for some prints. I'm trying to get these to fit into 11x14 frames or make it so a buyer could do so.

I'm starting to think I like black mats. How big (border size) are you talking about when you say big? I think I prefer wide v. narrow borders. But mostly with white. I haven't tried big black mats. But it is interesting hearing other's thoughts on this.

Payne's Grey
04-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Joel, I black-matted an 8x10 in a 14x18 frame that I thought looked nice. With an 11x14, I usually mat them in a 14x18 frame because they're readily available, but I'd prefer maybe a 3" mat around a 11x14. That would be 17x20 which I find difficult to find, and I don't do much work anyway where I would want to expend the money for custom frames.