PDA

View Full Version : Gamvar on oil painting with silver leaf

neo2403
01-03-2019, 03:37 PM
At First Happy New Year. :clap: .
I want to use gamvar gloss on my oilpainting with silver leaf. is it possible to use it in this combination? Has anyone experience. Thanks for your help.

contumacious
01-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Do you have a sealing coat over the silver leaf? What is it stuck down with?

neo2403
01-03-2019, 03:59 PM
No. Can I use use gamvar as sealer coat? Should I use shellac on the silver leaf. And go after this with gamvar?

Pinguino
01-03-2019, 04:23 PM
No experience with silver leaf. However, I suggest that you create a separate test area (on another canvas) with the silver leaf. Then apply Gamvar or another coating. What happens?

I assume that your silver leaf is actually silver leaf paint, rather than pure metallic silver without paint. Either way, it will probably be damaged if you brush on any kind of coating. You may be able to apply a spray finish.

Your best bet is to ask at the manufacturer of the silver leaf.

neo2403
01-03-2019, 04:33 PM
It is no paint . It is true silver leaf. So silverleaf has the tendence to oxidize, gold leaf or fake metal leaf does not oxidize, (in-house) that’s the reason why I should seal or use to varnish it. I hope any had this experience... parallel i‘ve wrote an email to gamblin. But it can take a month for a reply... and I have no experience when the silver takes to oxidize...

Pinguino
01-03-2019, 05:54 PM
It is no paint . It is true silver leaf. So silverleaf has the tendence to oxidize, gold leaf or fake metal leaf does not oxidize, (in-house) that’s the reason why I should seal or use to varnish it. I hope any had this experience... parallel i‘ve wrote an email to gamblin. But it can take a month for a reply... and I have no experience when the silver takes to oxidize...

While you wait for the reply from Gamblin... It is my understanding that Gamvar is partially porous to Oxygen.

contumacious
01-03-2019, 08:17 PM
I would try sealing some test swatches with Galkyd Lite or perhaps a permanent polyurethane varnish. Once that is dry you can apply the removable Gamvar without worrying as much about disturbing it. Gamvar won't darken over time like natural resin varnishes.

Pat Ryan
01-04-2019, 08:48 AM
I work with metal leaf and oils (https://www.pbryanart.com/large-multi-view/Above%20and%20Below/3276886-1-257357/Above%20and%20Below.html), too, and I feel your pain. :confused: Your best course of action, IMHO, is to apply one or more coats of Minwax Polycrylic spray, followed by the Gamvar. Even if the Gamvar allows air through, the Polycrylic will seal the leaf and prevent oxidation.

You can also use the Polycrylic to seal the metal leaf before painting over it with a glaze or whatever, or applying other layers of leaf. It's possible an alkyd would work as well, but I've always used the Polycrylic, on the advice of someone who has long experience of it for this purpose, and it's great.

Good luck!

Tirawen
02-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Oh dear. I hate to say this, but be prepared for that leaf to tarnish. It can turn a golden colour before it progresses. It happened to me within a few weeks and I had to completely re-do an intricate section that had taken me days to do. Sealing it might not help as it will probably slow down the tarnish but not stop it. Because the surface then has a layer in the form of varnish, you won't be able to clean or polish off the tarnish either (which might be a bad idea anyway as the leaf will be very fragile. That's why artists use white gold, which can tarnish as well, but less so. I really hope it works out for you, but the best alternative is pure aluminium leaf.