PDA

View Full Version : Wrong to use walnut alkyd medium and linseed on same painting?

regina0123
01-02-2019, 04:52 PM
If I am asking this question in the wrong place, please let me know. I've been a member for about a decade, but have yet to figure out how to post a question.

I've been a pastel artist for 20 years, now in the oil painter learning curve.

I'm doing a large 30 x 40 oil painting, and have been using walnut alkyd medium up to this point. Should I stick with that, or is it okay to try linseed oil on the rest of the painting?

Thanks for any help!

french.painter
01-02-2019, 05:37 PM
The few times I have ground pigments in a mix walnut + linseed oils, everything went perfect.
So I don't see why your walnut alkyd medium would go wrong with linseed oil paints.

Pinguino
01-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Just by way of clarifying your question: You mean one portion walnut/alkyd, one portion linseed, rather than layers or mixtures?

Raffless
01-02-2019, 05:59 PM
If I am asking this question in the wrong place, please let me know. I've been a member for about a decade, but have yet to figure out how to post a question.

I've been a pastel artist for 20 years, now in the oil painter learning curve.

I'm doing a large 30 x 40 oil painting, and have been using walnut alkyd medium up to this point. Should I stick with that, or is it okay to try linseed oil on the rest of the painting?

Thanks for any help!

It doesn't make any difference.

regina0123
01-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll stick with the walnut alkyd medium for this painting, but it's good to know there won't be a chemical reaction of some kind if I do use them both. Doubt that I will now, just need to experiment more.

I sure appreciate your advice!

Seaside Artist
01-03-2019, 02:49 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll stick with the walnut alkyd medium for this painting, but it's good to know there won't be a chemical reaction of some kind if I do use them both. Doubt that I will now, just need to experiment more.

If you are using "oils" there is probably linseed oil already in the paint unless otherwise noted on the label.

DAK723
01-03-2019, 08:25 AM

It is perfectly OK to mix various of the painting drying oils (linseed, walnut, safflower), but the usual recommendation from paint makers (and most painters from the pre-internet era) would be to use the same medium throughout an individual painting. This keeps the chemistry simpler - and oils drying chemistry is very complex, so any time you can make it simpler, it is less likely to cause any problems. This is especially true when using an alkyd medium, as alkyds have different drying properties than oil mediums (they dry faster).

Don

regina0123
01-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Great (and logical) advice - thanks so much!