PDA

View Full Version : A new one for me - Scent Dispenser Damages Painting

contumacious
01-02-2019, 12:54 PM
I saw a thread on Facebook in the Painting Best Practices group (sorry, no links allowed) where someones painting was damaged by a scent dispenser. The chemicals in the scent solution dissolved the paint which came off right down to ground, on a rag that was used to wipe the liquid off.

One more thing to add to the "care and feeding" list I provide with each painting.

stapeliad
01-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Yeah that's a crazy thing to happen. Those scent dispensers have so many chemicals in them, some probably have cautions against skin contact. I'm not surprised it took the paint off.

AnnieA
01-02-2019, 01:11 PM
I saw a thread on Facebook in the Painting Best Practices group (sorry, no links allowed) where someones painting was damaged by a scent dispenser. The chemicals in the scent solution dissolved the paint which came off right down to ground, on a rag that was used to wipe the liquid off.

One more thing to add to the "care and feeding" list I provide with each painting.
That's actually quite believable. I had put some clove oil in one of those tiny plastic bottles that samples of Galkyd and Gamsol come in, and the next morning woke to find the bottle had melted like the Wicked Witch of the West! And just recently I had some spike lavender oil completely demolish the rubber bulb on a dropper bottle because it had laid the wrong way in my paint box. Both of these are common ingredients in scent mixes (manufactured fragrances), and the list of other potential ingredients is quite long. These materials are not to mess around with and thanks for the reminder, contumacious.

Raffless
01-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Probably the Alcohol content. Perfume oil is dissolved in alcohol content ranging from 10-90 percent.

Humbaba
01-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Scent Dispenser or Air Freshener?

Who in his right mind would use such a product?, it contains alcohol.

Richard P
01-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Scented oil paintings?

RomanB
01-02-2019, 01:29 PM
It could contain solvent. Very interesting compounds could be sometimes found in cosmetics, for example, EDTA, also known as Trilon B. This compound dissolves several otherwise insoluble pigments. Harmless Barium Sulfate could be transformed to poisonous barium organic salt which is highly soluble in water.

contumacious
01-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Interestingly, Isopropyl alcohol at 90% strength does not dissolve any of my dried oil paints. If it gets through to an acrylic Gesso ground, it can soften that up though. It definitely will soften Acrylics. That is how I test to see if an old painting that was unmarked on the back was done with oils or acrylics if it no longer smells. A Q-Tip with alcohol on it will soften / remove Arcylics but does nothing to fully dried oils.

I think those scents have something a lot stronger than alcohol in them. They all make me sick. Stores and people that use them must not realize that a very large percentage of people have adverse reactions to perfumes. If I sit near someone who drenched themselves with perfume I have to move immediately. A friend of ours was put in the hospital by a reaction to someones perfume at a concert. I read a story around Thanksgiving where an entire office had to be vacated and aired out due to a Pumpkin Spice scent with a number of people getting sick from it.

stapeliad
01-02-2019, 01:58 PM
I think those scents have something a lot stronger than alcohol in them. They all make me sick. Stores and people that use them must not realize that a very large percentage of people have adverse reactions to perfumes. If I sit near someone who drenched themselves with perfume I have to move immediately. A friend of ours was put in the hospital by a reaction to someones perfume at a concert. I read a story around Thanksgiving where an entire office had to be vacated and aired out due to a Pumpkin Spice scent with a number of people getting sick from it.

Off-topic but.......SAME HERE!! I think there are a lot of inhaled chemicals that are really bad for us in our artificially over-scented society. I have had issues with co-workers who slathered the fake scents on... people tell me I'm just too sensitive and don't believe me that strong scents can really cause problems for others. Perfume should be discovered, not announced.

contumacious
01-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Scented oil paintings?

How about a motion sensor that activates a scent that is appropriate for the scene - spraying it out as the viewer approaches. Manure for example, for a pastoral scene with cows and sheep.

Sort of related to that idea, but of course totally off topic - some day I am going to hide a tiny wifi camera inside one of my frames to record the facial expressions and what people say as they stand in front of it. My guess, just from overhearing comments at various art venues, there will be quite a few things said that would not boost my ego!

MrsSellers
01-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Yes, I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that artificially perfumed products are TOO DAMNED STRONG. There's no way all these extraneous chemicals we are unwillingly exposed to are good for our health.

Raffless
01-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Interestingly, Isopropyl alcohol at 90% strength does not dissolve any of my dried oil paints. If it gets through to an acrylic Gesso ground, it can soften that up though. It definitely will soften Acrylics. That is how I test to see if an old painting that was unmarked on the back was done with oils or acrylics if it no longer smells. A Q-Tip with alcohol on it will soften / remove Arcylics but does nothing to fully dried oils.

Perfume contains Ethyl alcohol not Isopropyl. Ethyl alcohol dehydrates much more and will be more destructive.

Pinguino
01-02-2019, 03:22 PM
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
-- Lt. Col. Kilgore, in Apocalypse Now
:eek:

contumacious
01-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Perfume contains Ethyl alcohol not Isopropyl. Ethyl alcohol dehydrates much more and will be more destructive.

Aha! Thanks for that bit of info.

contumacious
01-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Steering this thread even more off topic - why not? - Would it bother you if someone had one of your paintings hanging in the bathroom next to the toilet? I got to experience that treat first hand.

Pinguino
01-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Steering this thread even more off topic - why not? - Would it bother you if someone had one of your paintings hanging in the bathroom next to the toilet? I got to experience that treat first hand.

Good enough for the Roman Empire (https://www.archaeology.org/news/7119-181102-turkey-latrine-mosaic), good enough for you!

What annoys me more: People using cell phone and toilet simultaneously.

Richard P
01-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Personally old paintings that were hung over a fireplace and blackened by soot make me wince.

Ted Bunker
01-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Spike Lavender Oil is a powerful solvent, in addition to being an antioxidant. And it loves to eat plastics, even when just fumes like in a closed stored palette.

ntl
01-04-2019, 11:14 AM

google it:
http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289006-Rubbing-alcohol-is-fine-for-making-perfumes
http://www.basenotes.net/threads/389262-isopropyl-alcohol-is-a-must-have-for-fragrance-sampling

https://ourlittleplace.com/health-risks-of-perfume
"...More than 4,000 chemicals are used in fragrances. Of these, 95% are made from petroleum. No agency regulates the fragrance industry, yet perfume chemicals are as damaging to health as tobacco smoke..."

https://ourlittleplace.com/health-risks-of-perfume/twenty-most-common-chemicals-in-thirty-one-fragrance-products
"...6. ETHANOL (in: perfume, hairspray, shampoo, fabric softener, dishwashing liquid and detergent, laundry detergent, shaving cream, soap, vaseline lotion, air fresheners, nail color and remover, paint and varnish remover)

On EPA Hazardous Waste list; symptoms: "…fatigue; irritating to eyes and upper respiratory tract even in low concentrations…" "Inhalation of ethanol vapors can have effects similar to those characteristic of ingestion. These include an initial stimulatory effect followed by drowsiness, impaired vision, ataxia, stupor…" Causes CNS disorder..." (CNS= Central Nervous System)

Since it melts dried plastics and other items, think what it can do to your body, the bodies if your spouse, kids, pets, friends...

ntl
01-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Would you please tell what all is on your "care and feeding" list?