PDA

View Full Version : Artisan Fast Drying Medium

Armadillobelly
12-30-2018, 09:51 AM
How do you use something like Winsor Newton Artisan fast drying medium (or equivalent)? Do you:

A) Rub it into a new layer and paint on top of it? Do you:
B) Use a dropper and put a drop in every color on your palette so that it's evenly distributed throughout?
C) Keep it in a cup and dip your brush in it every time you pick up some color from the palette?
D) Only add the fast drying medium to the pile of white paint since it then goes into most (but not all) color mixtures?

I'm a bit at a loss with this product and any insight would be appreciated.

Ron Francis
12-30-2018, 05:14 PM
I don't know anything about that medium, but generally for any medium, I would use method A or B. (Possibly both.)
If rubbing onto the canvas, you should use as little as possible, just enough to make the surface slippery.

bethanyt
12-30-2018, 05:18 PM
I use "Archival" brand lean medium.
http://chromaonline.com/media_library/images/archival_oils/layout/archival_lean_medium
It is odourless- which I need.
It speeds drying, thins the paint and keeps the paint flexible even when dry (to prevent cracking)
I have a small double paint dipper near my palette. One side for odourless solvent (also Archival brand), the other for the lean medium. I only use the solvent for the first block-in.
I only use a tiny amount of the lean medium when I paint- usually dip my brush in. I use synthetic brushes and like my paint to be a bit loose.
Even when I use a palette knife, I use a small amount of the lean medium to speed the drying.
Recently I used a white-mix on a section of a painting and forgot to use the lean medium to mix in. It took weeks to dry!