PDA

View Full Version : I made a wood pallet

DickHutchings
12-29-2018, 11:25 AM
After watching a video how to prepare and use a wood pallet, I decided to make my own. I've applied the first of ten coats of boiled linseed oil to it. I hope i can get through all 10 before i use it.

The reason for this is that i don't like my eyes to stay too far from my focus. I had tried a plastic one and threw it away. I'm hoping the wood will be more satisfying.

contumacious
12-29-2018, 11:59 AM
That looks great! :clap:

I have tried everything there is from glass to plastic as well as disposable palette sheets. I always come back to wood. I prefer the way it feels under my knife. It won't break if I drop it and it is lighter for plein air use.

My dream palette would be one made from Apple Ply, but I can't find any locally and shipping a large sheet of plywood is too expensive. I may settle for some maple plywood with a multi ply maple or other hardwood core for my next palette build. In the past I have coated them with three coats of rubbed in Galkyd which produced a very durable finish that resists scratches and wipes clean easily. Of course, never use a razor blade on a wood palette and be careful with sharp edged palette knives as they will gouge the surface. On my next one I am going to use Tung Oil as it gives a rock hard surface once fully cured.

bhindi
12-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Nice job! Now make another one for me! :)

sidbledsoe
12-29-2018, 12:58 PM
nice kidney!

DickHutchings
12-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Sorry but I won't be going into the pallet making business. They are the easiest thing to make if you have jigsaw. I have bandsaw and used that for the shape, I glanced at a photo of one and drew something similar and 5 minutes later I was done with the shape. I spent another 20 minutes making the thumb hole, a filing the edges and putting th first coat of BLO on.

french.painter
12-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Beautiful tool.
I prefer darker wood, since I often paint on brown/red ocher or grey grounds, and it is easier to set lights and darks if the pallet wood is in the same range of value than the canvas ground.
You paint on white prepared canvases?

MagicMike
12-30-2018, 12:46 AM
Looks good I have been pondering making my own, what kind of wood did you use? Is it plywood?

sidbledsoe
12-30-2018, 05:07 AM
also, did you replace tuners on a guitar with new Schallers?

DickHutchings
12-30-2018, 05:55 AM
I used birch plywood for this. If I make another, I have some mahogany I'd like to try.

I sometimes paint straight onto a white canvas, I'm experimenting with toning my canvas but I really haven't painted enough to settle on any one method.

I've built a few F5 mandolins and few necks for other instruments. I'm not sure what is in that box you saw. Now I'm curious.

sidbledsoe
12-30-2018, 06:10 AM
neat, I have built a couple of guitars and a ukulele.

DickHutchings
12-30-2018, 06:15 AM
I was in the guitar building mode when art suddenly bit me hard. I have an HD28 in process but I have an easel on my bench right now.