PDA

View Full Version : Gemline Aluminum Panels

Oil Can Boyd
12-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Has anyone here tried painting on the Gemline "Ready to Paint" Aluminum Panels? I've been using the birch cradled panels from Rex Art. I really like them, but I'm looking for a panel that is already primed. I really hate working with gesso. I do it, and get a nice smooth surface, usually giving it about 8 very thin coats, but this is time consuming, occasionally a little messy, and just generally a pain in the ass. If it's possible to find a good quality panel that is primed well, that would be great. Just saw these Gemline panels on Blick and thought they seemed interesting. Was going to just go ahead and order some but thought I'd check here for opinions first. ;)

contumacious
12-27-2018, 10:11 AM
I have not tried any yet but here is my first impression based on what I can see on Blick's website. If you want a free floating look - which I quite like - those would probably work well. On the other hand if you want to put them into a frame, the cradling on the back might be problematic, making the complete framed package too deep causing the piece to protrude too far from the wall.

These panels from Jerry's might be better if you want to frame them.

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/canvas-surfaces/panels/primed-and-gessoed-panels/ny-central-gessoed-alumacomp-panels

The Gemline offerings appear to be solid aluminum so the edges will be bare metal. You could either leave it silver or rough it up and paint the edges the desired color if displaying them unframed. When I do a free floating setup with ACM panels, I sand the edges smooth before I start painting and clean off any paint that ends up on the edges, as I paint so they are solid black with the thin silver metal layers on the front and the back when finished, which looks quite good to me unframed. I think I would also like a solid silver edge which is what you would end up with on the Gemline panels. You may or may not need to clean up the edges. From what I can see in the photos, my guess is they could stand a little sanding as they look a bit rough.

If you end up trying some, please let us know what you think.

Oil Can Boyd
12-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the informative reply, contumacious! I had seen those Alumacomp panels too and may just go with those. While I like the floating look, I imagine whoever ultimately buys the paintings should decide what to do with them frame-wise. Easier to glue an inset cradle on the back than to pry one the Gemline ones off, I suppose! And that way there would be more options available to the buyer. Looking forward to working on the aluminum surface for a new multi-painting project I'm about to start. I may pick up a few of the Gemline panels too, just to try. Thanks again!

contumacious
12-27-2018, 02:41 PM
You are welcome. I am anxious to see how you like either or both of them.

After using ACM panels for a while now I much prefer metal to wood based panels. I have to talk myself into using the stack of tempered hardboard panels I already have...

My long term project for the next 8-18 months is to do some landscapes on full 4x8 sheets of 6mm ACM panel that is float mounted from the back. I plan to finely polish the edges so it looks like ebony sandwiched between the thin silver lines created by the aluminum surfaces on the front and back.

Oil Can Boyd
12-27-2018, 03:49 PM
That sounds like a fun/ambitious project. I hope to see pics of it when it's done. I'll let you know how I like the Alumacomp. Just ordered a four pack of those, so we'll see how they work for me. I'll update the thread when I have an idea. :)