PDA

View Full Version : Mary Rose and a sketch

Wasp2016
12-22-2018, 05:58 AM
Here are 2 recent pen and ink drawings. One is a copy of a watercolour of the Mary Rose, and the other is a very quick sketch of a ship in a storm.

Charlie's Mum
12-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Meticulous work in the first Wasp - but lots of angry storm in the second - well done!

Wasp2016
12-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Thanks! Sadly the low res picture seems to mush up the picture detail. I have attached a cut out of a higher res image.

The Mary Rose piece was drawn more as a practice for a larger work I have in mind. I have seen a Dutch master that did massive pen drawings of sea battles and I will have a go at doing my version of one. I still need to work on sky rendering and some other bits.

This is done on A4 airbrush Bristol Board. I used a 0.05mm Unipin liner. I also found a local shop selling 0.03mm Unipin fine liners, so I did a lot of small details with these. The 0.03mm nib is great for detail, but I noticed the nib wears out fairly quickly. The background is done with a dip pen and diluted indian ink.

Please note, there is a login issue with your website, it says your site is insecure when typing into the login box, maybe your SSL certificate has expired?

laika
12-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Wow! That's some serious attention to detail on the Mary Rose! Great job on the ship and the water; a very impressive rendering overall.

edit: I also get that insecure login warning from one of my browsers.