PDA

View Full Version : Kim Jung Gi "how to become a master"

SeaScapePtr
12-13-2018, 12:20 AM
This is amazing. He's spent his whole life drawing for enormous amounts of time every day. I noticed he uses a "pentel arts color brush pen," not that it matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoqu5SEFqRI

tiago.dagostini
12-13-2018, 04:35 AM
If you do something 16 hours per day.. every day.. for 20+ years.. thriving to improve every day more and more.. you or anyone can become a master.. at almost anything.

I bet he is not half as good as I am at slouching at the sofa while eating potato chips....

pedlars pen
12-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Hadn't heard of this guy so thanks for the post.
He honest about the real secrets of art too -PRACTICE !
Mike

rosta
12-13-2018, 02:37 PM
I bet he is not half as good as I am at slouching at the sofa while eating potato chips....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Batman55
12-13-2018, 11:58 PM
What can I say... I'm envious, dude.

But I also don't have even 1/30th of his discipline and work ethic. Nowadays I draw with a pen almost every day of the week. But it's only at specific times when I can really get into it, most of the time I don't work for more than 2 hours.

I don't like making it into a study, I hate practice for practice's sake. Don't know how to change that. Don't want to, basically.

I still make progress, but not nearly as fast as I'd like. Stupid, stubborn.. take your pick. Probably both!

pedlars pen
12-14-2018, 05:47 AM
I don't like making it into a study, I hate practice for practice's sake. Don't know how to change that. Don't want to, basically.

Hi Batman,
Try a different approach,come in at it from a totally different angle.
Make your drawing sessions more fun ! don't take it as a task but an interesting experience of exploring .
Learn to sketch ,you are NOT making a serious masterpiece you are playfully experimenting with a light heart.
Work FAST & do not perfect ,correct & polish these drawings - LOOSEN UP.
Half the the time you spend on drawing each day if you like ! but enjoy a single ,fast session.
Draw every different subject under the sun- everything!
You don't have to capture every aspect of an objects physical appearance just something about the truth of it to make a successful drawing.
Forget your eraser for now & sketch with a pen , make long, strong & bold confident lines - take the risk that they might turn out to be wrong.
While you might ultimately aspire to work in very thin pen lines use a thick bold line to start with , it'll force you to appreciate line.
Keep the faith ! - in a individual sketch take it far enough to be absolutely certain you have messed it up ! keep going on it with belief - you'll be surprised !
It is better to fill a page in an hour with sketches than painstakingly fill that page over many days.
That is how you open the doors to learning drawing.
Mike

Batman55
12-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Great advice, really. Let us hope it does not fall on deaf ears!