PDA

View Full Version : broken lids on tubes

redneck647
12-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Some of my old tubes of paint have cracked and split lids. The paints in them seem to still be good so i'm not sure what if anything should be done?
Are they safe to leave as is for awhile yet? And if so how long?
If not what should I do to save the paint in these tubes?

budigart
12-11-2018, 09:46 AM
I save "good" paint tube caps for just this problem. I use several brands so in some cases, I have different shaped caps. Nonetheless, the caps that somehow make it through and are still good are cleaned as much as possible and put away for use as "back-ups." Meanwhile, I advise you to somehow cap the tube, or tubes, with cracked caps so the paint doesn't dry out.

cb3
12-11-2018, 01:24 PM
One option: buy empty paint tubes and re-tube the paint. Art supply stores carry them.

Example:
https://www.dickblick.com/products/empty-aluminum-paint-tubes/

savras
12-11-2018, 02:26 PM
You should prevent air from getting into the tubes so that paint inside doesn't oxidize (dry). I'm sure there are myriads of ways to do so better or worse depending on condition of the caps.

If cap has minor crack, you can use some sort of glue or putty rubber to seal the crack or oil leaking through the crack may oxidize and act like glue itself.

DAK723
12-11-2018, 05:13 PM
A few years ago I got extra caps through the mail when I asked for them. Hopefully, some (perhaps most or all) paint makers will send you extra caps if you ask them.

Don

AnnieA
12-11-2018, 08:32 PM
I bought a large lot of old tubes of oil paints about a year ago, and some of them have issues. I still haven't had the time to re-tube most of the ones without caps or with holes in the tubes; lucky for me there aren't that many. So what I did is put the ones that need help in a plastic tub and then put a couple of cotton balls with a drop or two of clove oil on each in the tub. It's only a temporary solution, but it seems to have worked so far.

If you decide to try it, make sure the cotton ball is not in contact with the plastic tub. Clove oil melts plastic!

redneck647
12-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Thanks everyone.

A few years ago I got extra caps through the mail when I asked for them. Hopefully, some (perhaps most or all) paint makers will send you extra caps if you ask them.

Most of my paints are grumbacher so I'll try top look into contacting them first. Getting new lids sounds a lot easier then retubing.