PDA

View Full Version : Oiling out lint free application material

E.Culver
12-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Good evening, new here and have searched here as well as other places, but could never find suitable information on this topic.
I've oiled out several paintings in recent years, just did another today. I've read and seen videos on using lint free clothes, lint free Scott paper rags, and I've been using a chamois recently. All these methods still leave worn off material behind on the painting, especially noticeable in the darker areas. Today I spent over an hour wiping away little leather "lint" pieces with my hands. Does anyone have a preferred proven method to rub the oil in without leaving bits of rag behind?

Antonin
12-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Good evening, new here and have searched here as well as other places, but could never find suitable information on this topic.
I've oiled out several paintings in recent years, just did another today. I've read and seen videos on using lint free clothes, lint free Scott paper rags, and I've been using a chamois recently. All these methods still leave worn off material behind on the painting, especially noticeable in the darker areas. Today I spent over an hour wiping away little leather "lint" pieces with my hands. Does anyone have a preferred proven method to rub the oil in without leaving bits of rag behind?

Go to a fabric store and buy polyester satin. The wedding dress type. There are usually some garish colors on sale. It is virtually lint free - but keep the cut edges away from the painting, unless you apply a bit of polymer medium [that you let dry] to the cut edges to prevent any frayed threads from loosening. You don't have to use a large piece of fabric. A 6"or 7" square should be fine for the average painting. Shake the piece off first to dislodge any fluff that might have settled on it. Satin is also good for wiping off unwanted areas of fresh paint, too. It can be folded into a very precise pointed shape to remove small parts of paint.

Apply the oiling out stuff with a clean make-up sponge (cheap at Target) . Then remove excess with the larger piece of satin.

E.Culver
12-07-2018, 09:13 PM
great, thanks!