PDA

View Full Version : what kind of paint should i buy?

haley
09-08-2000, 08:53 AM
hi, i run an art club at my college, and i am wondering what kind of watercolor paint i should buy with my limited funds.
i have been using a set of good child's pans, but i'm thinking that perhaps i should upgrade for my club and personal purposes. what do you think?

DebAnnWea
09-08-2000, 09:25 AM
winsor&newton cotman watercolors are good for beginners.that's what I have. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

VictoriaS
09-08-2000, 11:55 AM
The books I've read all say that it's best to avoid student grade watercolors because the colors are not as brilliant (more fillers and more pigment mixes to make them cheaper), and more prone to fading. So I've never used them.

I like Daniel Smith's artist quality watercolors a lot, and they're less expensive than most of the national brands (but still way more expensive than a child's set). If you're on a tight budget, maybe you could just buy two or three tubes a month or so until you have all the colors you need.

Dennis
09-08-2000, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't buy student grade water colors. Give Maimeri a try at Cheap Joes. Many are about $3.50 a tube. They have a trial set available at RexArt for about $15. Good luck, Dennis

msue
09-08-2000, 02:01 PM
For an example of how student grade paints can look see the paintings titled "Gator", "Snug In Master's Bed" and "The Pistol" on my watercolor page. All of these were done using a combination of Cotman and Grumbracher student grade paints. This might give you an idea of what direction to go. Daniel Smith is currently my favorite brand.

msue.artistnation.com

Lynda Mortensen
09-08-2000, 08:03 PM
Maimeri are good value for artists quality paints, but the best students quality paints I've come across are Grumbacher Academy - much better than either Cotman or Rowney Georgian in my opinion, nice and translucent and very concentrated. Buy cheap plastic palettes and squeeze a little paint in each well, allow to dry out and let your 'students' use these - they can be topped up as necessary and will be far more cost-effective than pans. I had a similar problem when I was asked to do a watercolour workshop for my local Church - no-one had their own supplies and I was on a VERY limited budget (about $15 for the whole caboodle), as the workshop was to be a 'one-off' and they didn't want to pay out for equipment they would probably never use again. I used disposable plastic plates for palettes, a 'limited palette' of 4 or 5 colours and cheap 'hair' brushes (we were doing wet-in-wet, so detail wasn't a problem!). The only thing I didn't skimp on too much was the paper, I used a student quality rough 300gsm and pre-stretched it myself onto pieces of hardboard I found in my Dad's shed! If your students decide to carry on though, they should purchase their own supplies and you could type up 2 or 3 lists of varying price bands, perhaps securing a discount on a complete package from your local art shop?

[This message has been edited by Lynda Coles (edited September 08, 2000).]

sassybird
09-09-2000, 05:35 PM
I have a set of Pelikan full pan watercolors (18) that I have really enjoyed. I do use a lot of tube watercolors also. My Pelikan set ran me $33. The colors are pure and bright.

PS There is open stock available on these also.

------------------
sass

[This message has been edited by sassybird (edited September 09, 2000).]

rapolina
09-11-2000, 03:25 AM
I use winsor&newton artist's watercolors; i bought them after using the Cotman ones, as i was not satisfied of that type, generaly for students. Artist's WN are surely more expensive, but results are very much greater!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif ciao, rapolina.

[This message has been edited by rapolina (edited September 11, 2000).]