PDA

View Full Version : painting on thick plastic

artlover55
12-03-2018, 11:22 PM
I need a little advise for a project I am doing. I accepted an invitation to do one of the eggs that the town of Egg Harbor will have on their streets for the next summer season. These eggs are 2" x 1' 4" and are made of a heavy resin plastic. They will sit outdoors on steel metal stands. I want to create an oil painting on this egg. I'm not sure what I should prime this with before painting it. Once it dries through the winter and spring I was going to apply a marine varnish to it so it will hold up in the weather. Any help would really be appreciated.

Brian

Richard P
12-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Maybe sand them all over with a fine sandpaper will create a good mechanical tooth. You could always email Golden Support as they have done tests on adhesion on different materials.

contumacious
12-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Your idea of sealing it with a marine varnish is a good one. You might look at epoxy finishes. They will hold up for several years outdoors.

The weak point as I see it will be the initial bond between the plastic and the oil paints. I would sand or sandblast it to give it some decent tooth then prime it with a primer that specifically says it bonds to plastics. If possible, find out what kind of plastic it is and ask the folks who make the chosen primer if they recommend their product for that plastic. Ideally, if this is an important project that needs to stay nice looking for a long time, a test sample of the plastic would be ideal.

This is the best over the counter bonder / primer I have tried:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/xim/bonders/advanced-technology-uma-white/

DickHutchings
12-04-2018, 08:44 AM
That's a mighty long egg!!

artlover55
12-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Goofed on the size. Meant to say 2' x 1' 4".
Thanks much for the advise. I really appreciate the help.

Brian