PDA

View Full Version : liquid white

Rossfan74
12-03-2018, 03:07 PM
:wave: hello! I have been landscape painting for a few years, getting a little better each time. I have a question about wet on wet technique. I have been making my own liquid white, a mixture of 50% titanium white, 50% linseed oil. is this right? the other day I read that its supposed to be the white + paint thinner. is there a difference? which is it? thanks for the help!

WFMartin
12-03-2018, 06:11 PM
:wave: hello! I have been landscape painting for a few years, getting a little better each time. I have a question about wet on wet technique. I have been making my own liquid white, a mixture of 50% titanium white, 50% linseed oil. is this right? the other day I read that its supposed to be the white + paint thinner. is there a difference? which is it? thanks for the help!

The chief characteristic of Bob Ross' Liquid White is that it remains wet, and workable throughout the duration of the painting session.

It is for this reason you would avoid using a solvent to liquify the paint, as solvent is a fast drier. Turpentine dries much faster than Odorless Mineral Spirits, but each of them makes the paint set up faster than without it.

Your choice of Titanium White paint, and Linseed Oil, in equal portions is a rather good choice, in my opinion, as this would dry quite slowly (a GOOD thing). And, trading the Linseed Oil for Walnut Oil would create a Liquid White whose characteristic would be a bit more "slippery", allowing your paint to glide on smoothly, while drying even slower than Linseed Oil.

If you appreciate the painting method of Bob Ross, you should seek out Kevin Hill on Youtube videos. He uses the methods of Bob Ross, but he brings them to another level in terms of quality.:thumbsup:

DAK723
12-04-2018, 08:40 AM
The purpose of starting with a thin layer of paint or medium is to make your canvas surface more suitable for painting. It allows you to move and blend paint as you add more to the canvas. Using white paint is popular since it is likely that you would normally be adding white as you mix colors on the palette - now you are mixing on the canvas. You could use a color other than white - or no color at all, just medium. So there are many ways to use or create a "liquid white" - no one way, or correct way. Bob Ross's Liquid White did not include a solvent, so your mix of white paint plus oil is definitely a good choice. "Magic White" - which was Bill Alexander's original wet on wet white paint did include a solvent in the mix, but was still slow drying.

In other words, use what works.

Don