PDA

View Full Version : Fuzz Stuck to Varnished Oil Painting

Lenore
12-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Hope I'm in the right area. I have a 30x40 painting that I took to be scanned and coming home it seems my dog's car carrier fuzz decided to attach itself to the painting (like the lambswool fuzz on dogs beds). How can I remove the varnish and hopefully the fuzz along with it and revarnish? Is that possible? This was a first in oils for me so I'm not familiar with the tips and tricks and didn't realize varnish stays sticky so long!! Thanks in advance for what I hope will be a miraculous solution!

TWAdair Art
12-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Use Turpentine and gently rub the surface of the painting with a lint free cloth. The varnish should come off but remember if you see color coming off on the cloth, stop.

WFMartin
12-03-2018, 05:36 PM
The solvent that you use to remove the varnish depends upon what sort of varnish it is, to a great extent.

If you have used a natural resin varnish, such as Damar, you will need to use Turpentine, as that is the proper solvent for Damar.

However, if you used a synthetic resin varnish such as GamVar, by Gamblin, you can remove the varnish with Odorless Mineral Spirits.

Of course, either solvent can be used to removed GamVar, but Odorless Mineral Spirits is a great deal more gentle on your painted surface, compared to Turpentine. Your choice of solvent all depends upon what varnish you have used.

Lenore
12-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Oh thank you both so much. I used Damar so will use turpentine. Last question . . . Do I have to take off of the varnish from the whole painting or just where the fuzzy stuff is? Think I am going to try the spot treatment first!??

WFMartin
12-04-2018, 12:00 AM
I think that "spot treating" of varnish is rather risky--especially Damar. It may work provided that once you have removed the varnish in specific areas, that you then apply varnish to the entire painting, rather than only in the spots where you removed it.

With the softer, synthetic resin varnishes, the fresh varnish will easily "meld" with the existing varnish, becoming one homogeneous coating, because the fresh varnish "melts" the existing varnish into it. I'm not sure that will work with Damar.

AnnieA
12-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Jessica, I rethought the info I planned to post here, so please delete this post. Thx.