PDA

View Full Version : Drawing from Life - our December challenge.

Charlie's Mum
12-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Welcome to our forum challenge for December in which we continue our encouragement to Draw from Life!

Let's capture our own personal and individual moments and share them here on this thread!

All suggestions/subjects/themes come from those who participate!:lol:

**NOW – here’s where you do your part – as well as your drawing, of course!
As you post your own drawing in this thread, please then also suggest ONE subject/topic for next month. One entry = One suggestion for the following month .... another entry? - another suggestion!:)

By the end of the month we should have a range of ideas from which you can choose – and please do feel free to discuss any of the suggestions raised: who knows, you may even start keeping your own private list for future ideas!**

One important rule -Entries must be at least 75% pen and ink in any colour - and wash or colour may be added.

Your topics for this month are .....

Rain!

Something beginning with 'G'

Hands

Garden furniture

Something that makes you smile

Celebration

Fractals

Chocolate

As an addition because of the season, why not add a seasonal touch to your drawing?

Have fun!

rosta
12-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Crikey! Its the 13th and no-one has posted yet.

Here's my entry for hand(s). It's done with a mix of good old Uni-Pins, black, grey and light grey plus a Kuretake grey pen in an S & B Alpha sketchbook.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2018/2076281-IMG_20181213_0001.jpg

.....and before anyone asks - No, I didn't trace round my hand. :lol:

laika
12-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Nice work! Good use of the grays.

And I'll bet that Charlie's Mum willed be thrilled to see some action jn the December thread :)

rosta
12-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Here's the other half of "Hands" - my Right Hand drawn left handed :(

I've also included something beginning with G and the glass contains some festive cheer. :lol:

Once I had got the pencil outline right it was surprisingly easy, though I couldn't make it as detailed as the left hand and the lines are a bit wobbly.

I can recommend practicing with the non-dominant hand, its a fun exercise.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2018/2076281-IMG_20181214_0001.jpg

My suggestion for next month is the cutlery drawer (knives, forks spoons etc).

Charlie's Mum
12-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Yippee! Yippee!! Yippee!!! - some drawings at last!!!!!!!

Yes, Lamar, I'm delighted and later I'll raise a glass of that festive cheer and than Ron for these contributions! :lol:

That's an excellent drawing of your hand ron - and the difference between flesh and metal textures - great!
. and a superb try at drawing with your non-dominant hand too - good observation where fingers hold glass ..... well done, and THANK YOU! :lol:

monarch
12-14-2018, 03:00 PM
A drawing of a Bargue hand. I had completely forgotten that it was supposed to be drawing from life...:angel:

Ron, nice hands, I especially like the first one. The skin texture on the thumb and back of the wrist is great.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2018/70654-bargue_hand_2-1_copy.jpg

RoadLessTaken
12-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Rosta,
Wow! That left hand is amazing!
I tried drawing hands in the past and they have all looked like children's drawings of turkeys! Your hand is amazing!

I must practice!

Sheila

Charlie's Mum
12-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Whew - so glad you didn't cut off a hand for this!!!!!!!!! ;):lol:
Nevertheless, a good shape and nice clean lines.:)

Have you bee following a course by Bargue?

monarch
12-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Whew - so glad you didn't cut off a hand for this!!!!!!!!! ;):lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the grace and precision of Bargue's drawings, so I hope to draw more of them, although I'm not following an actual course.

Charlie's Mum
12-17-2018, 07:34 AM
I had to look it up, of course! - but I can see what you mean so I might delve further for interest.:)

artastic
12-17-2018, 05:16 PM
that is a fabulous hand drawing Ron, and also the one holding the glass

I have a couple drawings

the first that starts with "G"
one of my gargoyles
(and I finished off another sketch book)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2018/104250-dec_Gargoyle.jpg

and a 4x6 card with a dish of Lindor Lindt chocolates, all in colored ink (with a brush) and a touch of pen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2018/104250-dec-chocolate.jpg

laika
12-17-2018, 10:54 PM
the first that starts with "G"
one of my gargoyles
(and I finished off another sketch book)

Nice work on both, Bonnie!

This inspires me; I've been trying to find time to draw my gargoyle, Tim, before December is out.

Charlie's Mum
12-18-2018, 05:33 AM
Two nice pieces Bonnie ..... and oh! choccies!:)

artastic
12-19-2018, 05:51 AM
forgot to add a subject for January
statuary
your pet

Charlie's Mum
12-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Suggestions for January ...

The cutlery drawer

Statuary

Your pet

a hat

a treasure

what you got for Christmas

a dessert

your neighbours' house

camera?

foot/feet?

your zombie-apocalypse weapon of choice?

camping gear?

train car/engine?

at the airport?

at your place of employment

Light with lampshade and light on!

I do understand the pressures of these challenges in the run-up to Christmas so thank you very much for these (and any more) drawings!

For those checking in - Happy Christmas!:)

artastic
12-20-2018, 07:50 AM
ideas:

a hat
a treasure
what you got for christmas
a dessert
your neighbours house

Charlie's Mum
12-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Thanks Bonnie - I'll add them:)

laika
12-20-2018, 04:14 PM
camera?

foot/feet?

your zombie-apocalypse weapon of choice?

camping gear?

train car/engine?

at the airport?

at your place of employment?

Charlie's Mum
12-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Lamar, thanks, I'll keep this list for later, there are quite a few already!:):)

laika
12-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Lamar, thanks, I'll keep this list for later, there are quite a few already!:):)

No problem, Maureen! Just thought I'd throw some stuff out there and see if anything stuck :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Payne's Grey
12-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Here's one for the "hands" category that I've been playing with. Microns on 9"x12" Bristol. I should note this is based on a magazine photo, and I'm not sure if that's OK or not...

I see you have plenty of suggestions for January, but I'll second "camera."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2018/2120925-Let_Me_Out.jpg

ronsu18
12-25-2018, 11:11 AM
two flies: a Glass and chocolates. 😃
neopiko pens 2.0, 0.8 and 0.1 on some generic hobby aquarelle paper, quite nice actually.

next month... lamp with lampshade with light on. is it one or two? spices! Happy Holidays!

Charlie's Mum
12-26-2018, 04:54 PM
Payne's G ... we'll accept it! Thank you .... we know it's not zlwzys convenient to draw from life if trying to fit work in to limited time! An expressive interpretation of an imprixoned hand!

Ronsu, that's a beautifully drawn glass and chocolates, very delicate. Thanks for joining us!.

ronsu18
12-29-2018, 06:47 AM
thank you Charlie's Mum and thank you for hosting!
one last real quick doodle for the year, fresh out of gargoyles so it's the classic garlic.
and the (foreboding) january spices... scratch that. cylinders!

neopiko pens 2.0, 0.8, 0.1 on hobby wc paper, 15x17cm, "fragrant still"
😌

Happy New Year!

Potterspink
12-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Hello All, I found this thread over the Christmas Holiday and have drawn from a little sculpture of a sheep I bought from a local artist, it always makes me smile when I look at it.
Happy New Year

laika
12-30-2018, 12:09 AM
I can understand why the sheep makes you smile, Potterspink :) I like your drawing, and the subtle coloring.

A Happy New Year to you as well! Hope to see more of your drawings.

LENGERT
12-30-2018, 09:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2018/78307-IMG_1138.JPG
Very quick drawing from life. Chocolates and candy.
Happy New Year everyone.

Charlie's Mum
01-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Excellent garlic Ronsu ... nice clean lines!

Yes, Potterspink, definitely an amusing sheep figure, makes me smile too!
Welcome here .... alll ink artists are very welcome so look out for January's thread as soon as I get the chance to post from the computer, not this tablet!!

Sandra, very seasonsl choice .... are the chocs still in their wrappers? :lol: