PDA

View Full Version : Manganese Violet?

bokaba
11-30-2018, 10:21 PM
I am considering adding a violet to my palette. I think dioxazine violet looks nice, but it is a bit saturated for my taste. I like cobalt violet, but it is usually rather expensive. I am considering manganese violet (PV16).

Does anyone have experience with this pigment?

Humbaba
11-30-2018, 10:28 PM
I bought several tubes of Pebeo Cobalt Violet light, not very much use so far, but it is a nice color.

It is composed of PV19-PV23-PW6

Due to the fact that it is made in China, it is quite cheap.

bokaba
11-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Thanks Humbaba. I am not really interested in mixed pigments.

bokaba
11-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Thanks Humbaba. I am not really interested in mixed pigments.

sidbledsoe
11-30-2018, 10:34 PM
It is a very nice mineral violet, more opaque and much less potent than dioxazine which is a like a staining dye, and not as red as cobalt violet.

Gigalot
12-01-2018, 03:39 AM
Manganese Violet is gorgeous and absolutely lightfast color. Useful for everything, from portraits to landscape when trusted lightfastness is necessary.
However, organic pigments convenience mixture of PV23 and PV19 is also useful when less lightfastness is not an issue.

french.painter
12-01-2018, 08:47 AM
I use this pigment. I like it. Subtle color very useful in landscapes. But it cannot replace exactly cobalt violet, because it is more reddish than the usual PV14. Not the same hue. It is also less saturated (lower chroma).
When mixed, it is a weak color : it has a low coloring strength (just like cobalt violet or ultramarine). If dispersed in oil, it can be altered by efflorescence haze a few months / years after drying. This phenomenon looks very similar to "ultramarine disease". So be careful to choose a carefully formulated paint.

JCannon
12-01-2018, 12:43 PM
I agree with french.painter. WN sells Manganese Violet as Permanent Mauve. I have an older tube of that stuff, which I have just now compared to Cobalt Violet Dark and good old Diox. Diox is by far the most powerful of the three (even in a student line); it leans blue. Manganese leans a bit red, though it doesn't take us into magenta territory.

The important thing to keep in mind is that Manganese Violet is low-chroma: Even in masstone, it's less vibrant than other violets. It's also not very powerful when used in tints -- which can be a great benefit, depending on your painting style.

This pigment is a good choice if you want to cool down flesh tones. Be careful when mixing it with (say) Venetian Red, because any powerful pigment will utterly overpower the violet. But if you paint shaded flesh with a warm grey and then invite a little Manganese Violet to the party, magic things can happen.

I still believe that Diox is the violet to get if you're getting only one, because it is cheap, powerful, versatile, and good for glazing effects. It's easily the best violet for painting objects that are actually a bright purple. But it can be more difficult to use when tinting your flesh color.

It all comes down to your style of painting. I might suggest buying the Permanent Mauve on sale and then paying a few extra dollars for a student version of Diox.

Richard P
12-02-2018, 03:26 PM
If you have Ultramarine Blue PB29 and Quinacridone Rose (PR122) can't you mix a colour of the same hue and saturation as these violets (PV23, PV16)?

french.painter
12-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Both of them are very transparent and more saturated. You will be able to imitate PV16 hue, but it will be brighter and considerably less opaque.

Richard P
12-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Then maybe add yellow ochre to dull and add opacity?

french.painter
12-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Too far away in the chromatic circle. It will completely cut the color. I would add Sienna or something like that. (Actually I suggest you try the real PV16 instead of these replacement mixtures. This pigment is a good guy on the palette).