PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastels for December

tuscanny
11-30-2018, 12:27 AM
Seasons Greetings for all the artists:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-9x11_mixed_media_craig_johnson_pmp2s.jpg
My earliest childhood memories of Christmas are of a Christmas tree with candles, decorations and presents on Christmas Eve with a record playing Slient Night and church bells.
This made me think of candles and night scenes for my theme. You are welcome to use your own references or use the posted references where you can crop, combine and change at will - artistic license:lol:
Have a wonderful time and enjoy your painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-9879dsc02682edited2_mustcreate_rils.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-hands-1926414_960_720myriamsfotos_pbays.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-cabin-1082058_960_720_free_photos_pbays.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-foggy-545838_960_720werner22brigitte_pbays.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-moose-1793632_960_720_cocoparisienne_pbasy.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-night-3115977_960_720_myriams_fotos_pbays.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-snow-3373432_960_720_jerzy_gorecki_pbays.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2018/1256189-landscape-3715413_960_720_skeeze_pbays.jpg

ministerstwo_grafitu
11-30-2018, 02:18 AM
Seasons Greetings for all the artists:wave:
to you too:)

raizes
11-30-2018, 10:55 AM
These pics are awesome Christel! Seasons Greetings to you as well.

terriks
11-30-2018, 12:31 PM
What a fun selection of images! Seasons greetings to you and all my fellow oil pastel friends. :)

Mira88
12-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Great pictures! I am thinking about painting the last one, with the starry sky... if I dare! :D
But first need to finish my current painting.

Magical December and happy holidays to all of you, guys! ^__^

Christel, maybe later you will tell us (maybe in OP paintings? :)) about how Christmas is celebrated in South Africa. WC says you live there, hope it holds true :)
I mean, it must be hot over there, right? I know that it's also hot in Australia so their Christmas is very different from ours - no snow :D
Though recent years there isn't always snow on Christmas/New Year either...

Btw, you know, for Russians the biggest holiday is not Christmas, but New Year! Besides, our Orthodox Christmas falls on the 7th of January due to a different calendar system used (back in time).
Orthodox Christmas is a holiday and is celebrated, but it's a more religious holiday over here and it's not as big as New Year.

I will try to paint something with Russian New Year flavor if I can handle it ;)

tuscanny
12-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Glad you like my choice of references. Looking forward to seeing your artwork!
December in SA means the following:
school holidays, hot summers, swimming, braaing(barbequeing) , decorative shops and in some places street lights.
Christmas dinners for the workers
Many places close between Christmas and New Year so there's a rush for the beaches
For the church goers, there is a Christmas service on Christmas day and caroling on Christmas Eve
A Christmas tree is put up and on Christmas morning presents are handed out
For the majority Christmas is a time to relax and laze around
The 16th December is also a holiday - Day of the Covenant
New Year's Eve is a party day of eating and reveling and New Years Day a day of rest:lol:

tuscanny
12-01-2018, 11:44 AM
A4 crop
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2018/1256189-a4_ops_pbays.jpg

terriks
12-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Glad you like my choice of references. Looking forward to seeing your artwork!
December in SA means the following:
school holidays, hot summers, swimming, braaing(barbequeing) , decorative shops and in some places street lights.
Christmas dinners for the workers
Many places close between Christmas and New Year so there's a rush for the beaches
For the church goers, there is a Christmas service on Christmas day and caroling on Christmas Eve
A Christmas tree is put up and on Christmas morning presents are handed out
For the majority Christmas is a time to relax and laze around
The 16th December is also a holiday - Day of the Covenant
New Year's Eve is a party day of eating and reveling and New Years Day a day of rest:lol:

Interesting! It's hard for us on the northern hemisphere to wrap our minds around heat & beaches during "the Holidays," which is all tied up with sleighbells and "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." But it also sounds like a great place to visit to run away from the cold!

Love your moose silhouette. The blues and greens in the sky are very peaceful.

raizes
12-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Nice job Christel. I like how you cropped it too.

tuscanny
12-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Thanks Rich!

Mira88
12-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Wow, Christel, your painting turned out great! When I saw this from my mobile phone, I thought you posted the same photo but cropped. I was in doubt if it actually was a painting - looks exactly like the photo! Only from the computer one can see there's a bit more contrast on the reference photo.

I used to have a friend from Brazil and he told me they also spend New Year on the beach :lol: it does sound unbelievable to us, northerners :lol:

rbhatt
12-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Very nice work Christel. The sky looks great.

Raj

tuscanny
12-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Thanks Mira and Raj!

tuscanny
12-03-2018, 08:49 AM
A4 http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2018/1256189-pbay_a4_opss.jpg

terriks
12-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Lovely! I like seeing the extra details in the cabin. Great job on the mist and the creek, too. Nice!

tuscanny
12-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Thanks Terri!

Mira88
12-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Once again a great job, Christel! :)
Love the texture of the cabin and the mysterious feel of the painting. The water also looks great - and soothing for some reason. Makes me want to keep looking and looking at the painting :)
I think I see the white Senns on the water, was my guess right? And what OPs did you paint the work with?

tuscanny
12-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Thanks Mira! My usual mixture of Pentel and Reeves with a little white oils.

raizes
12-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Love the cabin Christel! I like the "ruggedness" look to it!

tuscanny
12-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Thanks Rich!

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-06-2018, 08:08 AM
tuscanny,
personally I like your moose better than the other one:thumbsup:

here is mine painting ~A4

tuscanny
12-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Beautiful!

terriks
12-06-2018, 11:34 AM
That looks terrific, ministerstwo! I love all of that violet. Nice work!

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
thank you both:)

tuscanny
12-08-2018, 01:51 AM
My version of the hands in ops, A4
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2018/1256189-a4_ops_dec_pbay_s.jpg
Here is another version in graphite
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455897&page=2

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-08-2018, 03:01 AM
great :thumbsup: did you paint with op on the top of graphite drawing or just made another one?

Mira88
12-08-2018, 03:13 AM
Great texture and details, Christel!
One minor nitpicking - it seems to me that the candle is a tiny bit tilted, especially on the left side :) maybe it seems so because of the shadows...

btw, I am finally starting a work for the challenge - right now ;)

tuscanny
12-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Thanks Ministrs2 and Mira.
I made another one:)
I don't think I can change that now:angel: Good catch:thumbsup:

laika
12-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Another tonalist masterstroke from m2-g! This is like a mash-up of Albert Ryder Pinkham paintings.

laika
12-08-2018, 03:58 PM
great :thumbsup: did you paint with op on the top of graphite drawing or just made another one?

I made another one:)

Based on the volume of outstanding output spread across various forums here (and who knows where else), I propose that Christel is a powerful AI, or, more than one person.

terriks
12-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Based on the volume of outstanding output spread across various forums here (and who knows where else), I propose that Christel is a powerful AI, or, more than one person. :lol: I think she's a powerful artist, whose skill lets her knock off a lot more paintings and drawings than most of us!
But I like the AI version, too. :angel:

Okay, here is mine. This was my attempt at working FAST! I'm proud to say I forced myself to complete this one in one standing, just to see if I could do a painting in one day (I usually take several days).

I helped speed myself along by using all Senns for the sky and snow, which is rare for me - I typically reserve my Senns for top layers/highlights. But they blended on the Clairefontaine Pastelmat really quickly, no turp needed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2018/2007441-Snow_and_cabin.jpg

I think taking more time here would have resulted in a better painting, but as a speed exercise, this was fun to do.

laika
12-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Well, I like this, speed or not, though I am impressed that you able to knock this out in one go! The deep weight of a long, cold winter night descending really comes through with your gradations in the sky. Makes me think of the soon to come shortest day of the year, and the warm cabin is lit up to defy it! Great job on the variation in snow color too. Very nice!

tuscanny
12-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Thanks Laika!:lol: I work faster now than 2 years ago.
Terri - lovely fast winterscene. Great shades of blue. Time yet for another painting:angel:

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-09-2018, 02:18 AM
Another tonalist masterstroke from m2-g! This is like a mash-up of Albert Ryder Pinkham paintings.

it's because of this:
Ryder used his materials liberally and with little regard for sound technical procedures. His paintings, which he often worked on for ten years or more, were built up of layers of paint, resin, and varnish applied on top of each other. He would often paint into wet varnish, or apply a layer of fast-drying paint over a layer of slow-drying paint.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pinkham_Ryder

and I'm not even joking :evil:

Based on the volume of outstanding output spread across various forums here (and who knows where else), I propose that Christel is a powerful AI, or, more than one person.
she is in fact small special unit of Chinese army (like 40 000 painters) in the process of taking over Western art-world

I think taking more time here would have resulted in a better painting, but as a speed exercise, this was fun to do.:thumbsup: I envy you, for me even simple drawings are more time consuming

Mira88
12-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Haha, Christel as a AI?! :D
Don't forget, guys, that Christel also does her marvellous paintings using student grade OPs only! This is totally unbelievable, right? ;)

Otherwise, yeah, it's great skill :) I am also amazed at how many paintings per month Christel can produce at such quality. I remember reading on Rich's (raizes) instagram that he started finishing paintings in just 2-3 hours. Practice makes not only perfect, but also lightning-fast! :lol:

I can't help giggling when I see how you guys try to come up with an easier nickname for ministerstwo_grafitu :lol: the thing is, Russian and Polish belong to the same language group and I can guess what the nickname stands for. It must be "ministry of graphite" or something like that. So seeing nicknames like ministers2 makes me crack with laughter :lol: sorry, ministerstwo_graphitu, for revealing the secret behind your nickname :angel: maybe you can give us some shorter version which you find suitable ;)

Mira88
12-09-2018, 05:55 AM
Terri - really nice winter landscape! It brings me memories of the old wall calendar from my childhood with very, very similar scene. Agree with laika's impressions, it's definitely December close to Christmas time, looking with cosy because of the lit house. Is that A4? :)
Hmm, I assume Senns never require any turpentine, I thought turpentine is only used for cheaper brands, isn't it?
But the snow surface is very smooth indeed and the colors look deep. How many different colors did you have to use for the snow? :)

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-09-2018, 08:19 AM
I can't help giggling when I see how you guys try to come up with an easier nickname for ministerstwo_grafitu :lol: the thing is, Russian and Polish belong to the same language group and I can guess what the nickname stands for. It must be "ministry of graphite" or something like that. So seeing nicknames like ministers2 makes me crack with laughter :lol: sorry, ministerstwo_graphitu, for revealing the secret behind your nickname :angel: maybe you can give us some shorter version which you find suitable ;)
it means "ministry of graphite" indeed but that's no secret :) it is in my signature: department of graphite
I upload on wetcanvas mostly photos of oil pastels works however:confused:

everyone may use shorter version he/she like, I got used to ministers2 :)

Mira88
12-09-2018, 03:46 PM
it means "ministry of graphite" indeed but that's no secret :) it is in my signature: department of graphite
I upload on wetcanvas mostly photos of oil pastels works however:confused:

everyone may use shorter version he/she like, I got used to ministers2 :)

Just joking about "revealing the secrect behind the name" :D
Oh yes, I forgot about your signature.
Please, keep posting your oil pastel works instead of graphite ones: this part of forum needs more people! =D

Btw, forgot to comment on your work in this thread. I also had a thought that it looks like tonalism ;) it has a mysterious feel about it ;)

terriks
12-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Lamar, Christel, M2-G, and Mira for your comments! You're very kind.

I think Lamar's shortened version, "M2-G" is perfect! Easier to type out. ;)

Hmm, I assume Senns never require any turpentine, I thought turpentine is only used for cheaper brands, isn't it?
But the snow surface is very smooth indeed and the colors look deep. How many different colors did you have to use for the snow?
I think turpentine is something that can be used with any OP, to help spread a light coating or to help fill in the flecks when using textured papers.

More seasoned users may correct me, but I think caution in using turp is less about the turpentine and more about the paper we're using. I selected Senns to lay out almost this whole painting because they blend so easily (and quickly!) and, following this particular ref photo, thought those varying gradients of blue had to be really smooth. So Senns + Pastelmat paper seemed a good match. I blended with clay shapers as well as my fingers, afer laying down a few layers of the Senns. It went very quickly.

If I'd selected Arches oil paper, I likely would have laid down the same colors using Mungyos or even Cray-Pas Expressionists, and used turp to help with the blending. I've read that Pastelmat does NOT like to get wet, or it curls badly. Arches oil paper takes turp (and lots of other abuse!) with no issues. But using turp would have taken longer, so for my experiment of speed, I went with a better OP/paper combination for a "dry" method of blending.

The main colors in the snow were aquamarine blue and Neopastel white. The sky was Senns charcoal blue, midnight blue, with lots of Neopastel white along the horizon to lighten it up. I alternated between finger/tortillon blending since it took several layers before it decided to "glide" for me.

Hope all that makes sense! :lol:

laika
12-09-2018, 07:12 PM
I think Lamar's shortened version, "M2-G" is perfect! Easier to type out. ;)

And I was just about to settle on "MofG" based on Mira88's unpacking of the meaning for us :) I guess I've been ignorantly anglicizing that "two."

Well, anyway, now I'm convinced that "Christel" must be an acronym that might point us to the identity of the art collective that is Christel. Will they drop a manifesto on us one day, or is the message in the medium?

terriks
12-09-2018, 10:07 PM
:lol:

tuscanny
12-09-2018, 10:36 PM
Aww shucks, you're very kind. I haven't managed to get a painting a day finished yet:lol: I even managed to paint a landscape in oils that took me 7days!:angel: :lol:
Mira - Pentel, Reeves, Rolfes, Staedtler are the cheaper brands, harder than Senneliers and do well with blending with turps
M2-G - I like that abbreviation.

Mira88
12-10-2018, 06:55 AM
I think turpentine is something that can be used with any OP, to help spread a light coating or to help fill in the flecks when using textured papers.

More seasoned users may correct me, but I think caution in using turp is less about the turpentine and more about the paper we're using.

I had this impression of turp and cheaper brands cause 90% of articles on OPs claim "OPs don't really blend, so use some turp" - so I assumed turp is only needed with the cheaper ones.
But what you say makes sense! :)

Thanks for telling more about your work - that was an interesting experiment! ;)

Mira88
12-10-2018, 06:57 AM
I even managed to paint a landscape in oils that took me 7days!:angel: :lol:
Mira - Pentel, Reeves, Rolfes, Staedtler are the cheaper brands, harder than Senneliers and do well with blending with turps

I have never worked with oils but I assume a painting in oils takes longer :angel:

Yeah, though I think I read somewhere on WC that you don't use turps. How do you manage to make the blending so smooth then?

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-10-2018, 07:39 AM
you can call me M2-G then:)

Mira,
you can use various things for blending not only turpentine. I used mineral oil for that purple painting

tuscanny
12-10-2018, 11:38 AM
I do use turps now and then, but mostly I use tortilions and fingers for large areas.

Mira88
12-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Mira,
you can use various things for blending not only turpentine. I used mineral oil for that purple painting

Yeah, I've heard there are some other things as well like white-spirit and even baby oil... but they say oils yellow, baby oil, linseed oil does, perhaps mineral oil does too.

btw, how did you manage to creative convincing dark areas in your purple painting? I have finished mine today, and everything below the sky sucks!! Could you please tell me what colors you used for the rails of the bridge?

Mira88
12-10-2018, 01:22 PM
I do use turps now and then, but mostly I use tortilions and fingers for large areas.

Oh! I see. Maybe I read that in some old threads :)

Btw, I have finally finished my work for this challenge. The beginning was promising cause they sky turned out nice, but the rest is screwed up. The dark areas are harder to handle than I thought! I also went for the wrong hues.
Sorry for the picture quality, the right part is darker than it really is because of my small desk lamp. Too bad we only have 6 hours of daylight in my city in December :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2018/2115959-h3by9Sa5vVc.jpg

terriks
12-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Oh, Mira! Don't be so critical of yourself. There's a lot to like here in this painting. :clap: Your sky is terrific, for starters. How did you apply your stars? Did you dot them in with the OP stick, or use tortillons? The effect is lovely.

I also really like your horizon line, as well as the trees. The leading lines of the bridge look great, too.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

tuscanny
12-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Great going, Mira! The sky is beautiful. Night landscapes aren't easy and you did well.
Some time ago I had a tip on one of my paintings - a downward slope of the land leads the eye out of the painting. To stop the eye from exiting isn't always easy but it does bring a new challenge to composing.

tuscanny
12-10-2018, 11:53 PM
A4 My daughter says it looks spooky:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2018/1256189-pbay_a4_dec_ops_s.jpg

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I've heard there are some other things as well like white-spirit and even baby oil... but they say oils yellow, baby oil, linseed oil does, perhaps mineral oil does too.

linseed oil yellows for sure, I wouldn't use baby oil except for ops like Pentel or other kids' pastels. I don't know if mineral oil yellows though I've never heard of it. maybe it doesn't

btw, how did you manage to creative convincing dark areas in your purple painting?
I did everything black except white area in the sky and the bridge, blended it with oil and went from dark to light

I have finished mine today, and everything below the sky sucks!!
I'm over-critical of my works too lol You are doing fine but what I've noticed you should work more in layers for instance the bridge looks like you painted the rails first and grass background at the bottom later. Go from background to foreground instead.

Could you please tell me what colors you used for the rails of the bridge?
burnt umber, raw umber, light yellow, white, grey, violet, rose pink

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-11-2018, 01:59 AM
tuscanny,
now, that's what I call tonalism :) minimal number of colours with different tones

My daughter says it looks spooky:lol:
you did good work then because it should :thumbsup:

Mira88
12-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Oh, Mira! Don't be so critical of yourself. There's a lot to like here in this painting. :clap: Your sky is terrific, for starters. How did you apply your stars? Did you dot them in with the OP stick, or use tortillons? The effect is lovely.

I also really like your horizon line, as well as the trees. The leading lines of the bridge look great, too.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the support, Terri! :cat:
I love starry skies so I did my best to make this sky beautiful :)
I tried applying the stars with the stick, but the spots were too big, so I took a toothpick and applied the white Senn on it, then pressed against the paper with light and very light pressure. It took a while, but the stars are the right size this way ;) though the top of the Sennelier stick did suffer :lol:

Mira88
12-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Great going, Mira! The sky is beautiful. Night landscapes aren't easy and you did well.
Some time ago I had a tip on one of my paintings - a downward slope of the land leads the eye out of the painting. To stop the eye from exiting isn't always easy but it does bring a new challenge to composing.

Thank you Christel! Yeah, this is my first night landscape and now I know why they are tough :D
Thanks for the tip too! I will keep that in mind :)

Your new painting does look spooky but the reference photo did too! :lol:

Mira88
12-11-2018, 07:18 AM
I did everything black except white area in the sky and the bridge, blended it with oil and went from dark to light

Thank you for explaining it to me! I wouldn't guess to go from dark to light - I did so on one of the slopes but didn't think it would give such a great effect on the bridge too! I love how smooth and muted your values are, all the colors are in harmony in your work!

By the way, what OPs do you use? 

I'm over-critical of my works too lol You are doing fine but what I've noticed you should work more in layers for instance the bridge looks like you painted the rails first and grass background at the bottom later. Go from background to foreground instead.

Thank you for the tips! Actually you are right, I did the rails first... next time I will know better! :)

tuscanny
12-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Thanks M2G and Mira!
Wrt the use of oil as blending medium, I tried out the baby oil which is a mineral oil, and it took months to dry out. Of course I took too much, but I also worked on canvas.
The linseed may turn yellow, but I leave my paintings, usually oils, in the SA sun and that takes away the yellow. The time needed to bleach the yellow depends on the amount of yellowing and how hot it is during the day.
Mira - in case you find you've started with the wrong color, you can scrape back or seal the layer and add more op's.

terriks
12-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Mira: You can also try one of the blending sticks that come with some sets of OP's. I have blending OP sticks from Senns, and Cray-Pas Specialist, I believe...these colorless sticks add some oil/wax to help facilitate blending and mixing without changing colors. I've only used the one from Senns, and a little goes a long way. But if you're hesitant to use blending oils or turpentine, it's another option. :)

terriks
12-11-2018, 01:17 PM
A4 My daughter says it looks spooky:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2018/1256189-pbay_a4_dec_ops_s.jpg

Oh! I almost missed this. It's very lovely and haunting, Christel, even mysterious. I understand why your daughter says spooky. Great softness in the light as well as the trees.

Edited to add: I also think you've made the image stronger by making it vertical. :thumbsup:

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-11-2018, 04:16 PM
By the way, what OPs do you use?
Van Gogh and Maimeri Classico

tuscanny
12-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Thanks Terri!

rbhatt
12-11-2018, 11:51 PM
My take on the moonlit cabin.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2018/2012918-Moonlit_Cabin1.jpg
Used CrayPas Expressionists for the first layer and Mungyo on top. Size is 8x10 inches and paper is Strathmore drawing paper (80 lbs).

I simplified the rocks and their textures in my painting. I borrowed a stencil from my son to create the perfect round shape of the moon. It turned out little bit smaller than in the reference picture. That's the maximum size of the circle the stencil had. Because the palette was limited, mostly cool colors, I found it challenging to replicate the atmosphere in the reference picture, but I enjoyed painting this.

All comments are welcome.

Raj

rbhatt
12-12-2018, 12:06 AM
My version of the hands in ops, A4
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2018/1256189-a4_ops_dec_pbay_s.jpg
Here is another version in graphite
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455897&page=2
Details are very impressive! Great job, Christel.

Raj

rbhatt
12-12-2018, 12:09 AM
tuscanny,
personally I like your moose better than the other one:thumbsup:

here is mine painting ~A4
Wow, I love your galaxy night sky.

Raj

rbhatt
12-12-2018, 12:12 AM
:lol: I think she's a powerful artist, whose skill lets her knock off a lot more paintings and drawings than most of us!
But I like the AI version, too. :angel:

Okay, here is mine. This was my attempt at working FAST! I'm proud to say I forced myself to complete this one in one standing, just to see if I could do a painting in one day (I usually take several days).

I helped speed myself along by using all Senns for the sky and snow, which is rare for me - I typically reserve my Senns for top layers/highlights. But they blended on the Clairefontaine Pastelmat really quickly, no turp needed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2018/2007441-Snow_and_cabin.jpg

I think taking more time here would have resulted in a better painting, but as a speed exercise, this was fun to do.

Congratulations Terri for finishing it in one standing. It turned out beautiful. I like the contrast and gradient in your painting.

Raj

rbhatt
12-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Oh! I see. Maybe I read that in some old threads :)

Btw, I have finally finished my work for this challenge. The beginning was promising cause they sky turned out nice, but the rest is screwed up. The dark areas are harder to handle than I thought! I also went for the wrong hues.
Sorry for the picture quality, the right part is darker than it really is because of my small desk lamp. Too bad we only have 6 hours of daylight in my city in December :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2018/2115959-h3by9Sa5vVc.jpg
Beautiful night sky, love those purples. The trees are done well too. As Christel said, you might need to re-work on the grassy slope areas a little bit. You can also consider darkening the distant hills and trees so that you will have more contrast and depth.

Raj

Mira88
12-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Mira - in case you find you've started with the wrong color, you can scrape back or seal the layer and add more op's.

For some reason I got a problem with this... When I try to scrape back, I can only get to the base color, not to the surface. In this work I too late realized the little path going outward is the wrong hue, scraped back but the base color wouldn't go away! It just gets kind of soaked up in the paper... it shouldn't be this way, right?

Mira88
12-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Mira: You can also try one of the blending sticks that come with some sets of OP's. I have blending OP sticks from Senns, and Cray-Pas Specialist, I believe...these colorless sticks add some oil/wax to help facilitate blending and mixing without changing colors. I've only used the one from Senns, and a little goes a long way. But if you're hesitant to use blending oils or turpentine, it's another option. :)

Thanks Terri :) Unfortunately my set doesn't have any blending sticks, but I do plan to order the Senn colorless blender when I make an order on Amazon :)

Mira88
12-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Van Gogh and Maimeri Classico

Oh, Maimeri Classico! Couldn't find any reviews on this brand, even here on WC.
Could you share your opinion about it? Is it possible to blend Maimeri sticks without solvents?
And which one is softer, Van Gogh or Maimeri?

Mira88
12-12-2018, 11:55 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2018/2012918-Moonlit_Cabin1.jpg
Used CrayPas Expressionists for the first layer and Mungyo on top. Size is 8x10 inches and paper is Strathmore drawing paper (80 lbs).

I simplified the rocks and their textures in my painting. I borrowed a stencil from my son to create the perfect round shape of the moon. It turned out little bit smaller than in the reference picture. That's the maximum size of the circle the stencil had. Because the palette was limited, mostly cool colors, I found it challenging to replicate the atmosphere in the reference picture, but I enjoyed painting this.

Raj

Awesome painting, Raj! I love the way you painted the mist and lots of details on the cabin! Great mysterious atmosphere!
I would assume the cabin wouldn't be lit so brightly cause it's night, but the picture looks harmonious even if there is more light than should be (which I am not very sure of :))

Mira88
12-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Beautiful night sky, love those purples. The trees are done well too. As Christel said, you might need to re-work on the grassy slope areas a little bit. You can also consider darkening the distant hills and trees so that you will have more contrast and depth.

Raj

Thank you Raj!
I have decided to leave it as is, but I will definitely consider all the tips in the future! :)

raizes
12-12-2018, 12:20 PM
So much awesome work to look at everyone! Love the participation this month. Christel, you're like a machine! Love them all. Your attention to details is outstanding

Ministers-Love the low light. night sky is fantastic.

Terri- The warmth of the cabin is wonderful and love those blues!

Mira-Your night starry sky is amazing. Also love the whimsical feel and look.

Raj- Amazing details and clarity on the cabin. Really helps bring it forward and looks amazing against the various blues. Also love that moon. Very believable!

raizes
12-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Here's my take on the hands. I'm calling it "This little light of mine". 12x16 inches. on Pastelmat. Mostly Mungyo's and Senns for top layers.

I used a "block in" method to render this. I first blocked in the negative space (dark area around the hands). I used prussian blue and medium/dark brown, blended together with sennelier OP colorless blender.. Blended those two and then a dark blue Senn over the top and blended in to get it really dark. I set the outline of the hands with the dark value.. Then blocked in hands with a couple pinks. Each layer getting more detailed. Fun challenge!

terriks
12-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Raj

Thanks for the kind words on my submission, Raj. :)

This new painting is gorgeous - beautiful mist, movement in the water, and those far-back trees have just the right amount of detail. Those rocks look good to me (I still struggle with them). Love the detail in the cabin itself.

I always like your control over the Expressionists with the Mungyos, too - not easy to blend, but you always pull it off. Beautiful painting!

terriks
12-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Here's my take on the hands. I'm calling it "This little light of mine". 12x16 inches. on Pastelmat. Mostly Mungyo's and Senns for top layers.

I used a "block in" method to render this. I first blocked in the negative space (dark area around the hands). I used prussian blue and medium/dark brown, blended together with sennelier OP colorless blender.. Blended those two and then a dark blue Senn over the top and blended in to get it really dark. I set the outline of the hands with the dark value.. Then blocked in hands with a couple pinks. Each layer getting more detailed. Fun challenge!

Gracious, this has a real "old Masters" feel to it. Stunning work with the hand detail. :eek:

Thanks for the description of the block in method - I don't think I've heard of that before. The corners do look dark, evenly blended - a perfect background to the warm hands and of course, the light from the candle. The way you painted the candle's glow has a distinct van Gogh feel to it - well done! :clap:

tuscanny
12-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Raj - well done on your cabin! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Rich - great work. Love the palette.
Mira - when you scrape back, you should get down to the first layer of op. This means you can start adding more op's over that layer as it will take it again.

Mira88
12-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Thank you for explaining us about the method in this painting, Rich!

Impressive darks and the details on the hand!

and then a dark blue Senn over the top and blended in to get it really dark.

Did you miss a word here: "blended in ... (?) to get it really dark."? or you just meant you blended in the dark blue Senn?

Mira88
12-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Mira - when you scrape back, you should get down to the first layer of op. This means you can start adding more op's over that layer as it will take it again.
I got you! I had thought that I should be able to scrape back right to the surface, didn't realize you always scrape back to the first layer. Thanks for explaining that to me :)

raizes
12-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Thank you for explaining us about the method in this painting, Rich!

Impressive darks and the details on the hand!

Did you miss a word here: "blended in ... (?) to get it really dark."? or you just meant you blended in the dark blue Senn?

I meant to say that using the dark blue senn over the dark area (brown and prussian blue )makes it darker.

By itself, the dark blue senn is transparent. When applied over an already dark area, makes that area darker.

raizes
12-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Thank you Christel, Terri and Mira.

Here's my version of the snowy winter cabin. 12x16 inches senns/mungyos on pastelmat. This a tough one to get an accurate photo from. Pretty close...Lots of blue.

I also got a gopro couple days ago. I created timelapse of this one on my instagram. Condenses about 2 hours down to 6 minutes!!!! Once I get good at recording video, I'll be using the gopro to make youtube videos. And it will be in 4k, or at least 1080p!! Coming soon in 2019!

rbhatt
12-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Awesome painting, Raj! I love the way you painted the mist and lots of details on the cabin! Great mysterious atmosphere!
I would assume the cabin wouldn't be lit so brightly cause it's night, but the picture looks harmonious even if there is more light than should be (which I am not very sure of :))
Thank you Christel, Terri, Mira, and Rich.

I agree with Mira that compared to the reference picture, my painting has more illumination at night, but I am happy with the outcome.

Raj

tuscanny
12-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Rich - beautiful!:thumbsup:

terriks
12-13-2018, 10:48 PM
Beautiful job, Rich! I really like the texture you put into the snow here. Your blues are luscious.

Congrats on getting the gopro! This is something I know you've been thinking about for awhile now. It's amazing that you did such great work in 2 hours - how cool that this gopro can condense this to 6 minutes. Wow!

Mira88
12-14-2018, 12:15 PM
I meant to say that using the dark blue senn over the dark area (brown and prussian blue )makes it darker.

By itself, the dark blue senn is transparent. When applied over an already dark area, makes that area darker.

Okey, now I get it :) just wanted to make sure I got it right.
Cool! I planned to buy a dark blue Senn, now I am convinced it's a must! :D

Thank you Christel, Terri and Mira.

Here's my version of the snowy winter cabin. 12x16 inches senns/mungyos on pastelmat. This a tough one to get an accurate photo from. Pretty close...Lots of blue.

I also got a gopro couple days ago. I created timelapse of this one on my instagram. Condenses about 2 hours down to 6 minutes!!!! Once I get good at recording video, I'll be using the gopro to make youtube videos. And it will be in 4k, or at least 1080p!! Coming soon in 2019!

That is BEAUTIFUL!!! I don't think it matters how accurate it is to the original reference photo - the main thing is that you pictured the great mood! It is a wonderful painting, very cosy indeed! Love the light in the cabin and the rich blue color of the snow. Though I don't understand why it looks more pale on your instagram page... is it that intense blue or is it actually lighter?

Congrats on your new purchase! Great stuff, they say ;)
Looking forward to your Youtube videos - that's gonna be my fave Youtube channel for sure :D

Mira88
12-14-2018, 12:18 PM
I agree with Mira that compared to the reference picture, my painting has more illumination at night, but I am happy with the outcome.

Raj

I don't think there is any reason not to be happy with the outcome cause your painting actually looks even better than the reference photo! ;) The mood is a bit different, and I like that your painting let one see lots of the details on the cabin. Being creative with reference pictures is cool! ;)

raizes
12-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Christel and Terri, Thank you so much!

Mira - Thank you...I have a grand senn dark blue, because of how often I use it. I changed composition to make the cabin and it's light the main focus surrounded by a cold blue environment. The instagram version was taken at night with just my easel lights. This picture here was taken mid-day with lots of daylight coming through the windows. The real color of this painting is closer to this one , but not as blue. Hope that makes sense. I find that some paintings, especially blue dominant are just difficult to get accurate photo.

I'll let you all know when I get my youtube up and going. I'm not a teacher so please bare with me. There are some parts during the process where I don't know what to do, or how I'm gonna render something I've never drawn before, and so you'll see how I get through it. I make mistakes and such and guess wrong sometimes, so you'll see that too. :)

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-15-2018, 04:09 AM
Oh, Maimeri Classico! Couldn't find any reviews on this brand, even here on WC.
Could you share your opinion about it? Is it possible to blend Maimeri sticks without solvents?
And which one is softer, Van Gogh or Maimeri?

well, the difference between the two is van goghs are more sticky and maimeri are more slick. I suspect they contain more oil. My impression is they work even better without solvents or with slight amount. Its like turpentine dissolve them completely and they smear
I can't compare them to mungyos or senneliers in terms of softness etc

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-15-2018, 04:17 AM
raizes,
great:thumbsup: snow made with scratching is amazing

Mira88
12-16-2018, 06:41 AM
The instagram version was taken at night with just my easel lights. This picture here was taken mid-day with lots of daylight coming through the windows. The real color of this painting is closer to this one , but not as blue. Hope that makes sense. I find that some paintings, especially blue dominant are just difficult to get accurate photo.

I'll let you all know when I get my youtube up and going. I'm not a teacher so please bare with me. There are some parts during the process where I don't know what to do, or how I'm gonna render something I've never drawn before, and so you'll see how I get through it. I make mistakes and such and guess wrong sometimes, so you'll see that too. :)

Okay, now I see they were two different pictures! =D
It's good that this one is close to the real color cause I really like your blues in this painting ;)

Oh, come on, even if you make some minor mistakes (I bet quite many people cannot notice them :P), there is a lot to learn from you! So it will definitely be very, very useful videos! =D
Moreover, it's always interesting to see someone getting even better ;)

Mira88
12-16-2018, 06:43 AM
well, the difference between the two is van goghs are more sticky and maimeri are more slick. I suspect they contain more oil. My impression is they work even better without solvents or with slight amount. Its like turpentine dissolve them completely and they smear
I can't compare them to mungyos or senneliers in terms of softness etc

Thank you very much for this info! One can buy Maimeri here where I live, but looking at a rather low price I was not sure how good they are. They claim to be of artist quality, but are rather inexpensive.
If you plan to get some other oil pastels later on, please let us know about the comparisons ;)

Mira88
12-16-2018, 06:47 AM
It's also a place to chat, right? :)
So I got a question to everybody.

When I watch movies or even beautiful videos, I often get the idea that I should just put it on pause and make a sketch for the potential painting.

Do you think it is a good idea? One cannot use other people photos without permission, but I assume it's okay to use video references totally legally? If yes, there are lots of opportunities to get inspired and lots of fantastic views to paint!

I think it should be okay.

Mira88
12-16-2018, 07:11 AM
And yes, by the way... I would like to recommend you to check out one interesting site to order OPs.
I found out that I can order Erengi (inexpensive, but artist quality; Robert Sloan called them "the workhorse for artists") and Sakura Specialist both cheap and with FREE SHIPPING on a very popular website. Russians use it a lot, it offers free shipping for nearly everything.

It is the international version of the Chinese giant Ali Baba (Tao Bao), called Aliexpress. You get the goods as cheap as possible and usually with free shipping.
I couldn't check the version for English speakers though cause it sees I am from Russia and automatically shows me the price and shipping options for Russia. But I can assume it should be free shipping to Europe and the US too...

You might be interested to check it out: aliexpress.com
Some of you say Mungyos or Cray-Pas or Erengi or other brands are not available in your country, so it might be the chance.
I haven't ordered the OPs from there yet cause I just made a small order on Amazon :) but I have plans to get both Erengi and the Specialist in the future. It will only cost me around $45 for a small set of the Specialist and 36 pcs set of Erengi! :)

PS: There are no Holbeins though.

tuscanny
12-16-2018, 09:29 AM
It's also a place to chat, right? :)
So I got a question to everybody.

When I watch movies or even beautiful videos, I often get the idea that I should just put it on pause and make a sketch for the potential painting.

Do you think it is a good idea? One cannot use other people photos without permission, but I assume it's okay to use video references totally legally? If yes, there are lots of opportunities to get inspired and lots of fantastic views to paint!

I think it should be okay.
I've often watched videos of how to paint and they do inspire me to try their way, to improve on my own techniques. I watch the subtle tricks they use to get their end result and then I apply it to my own painting of my own reference. If you do decide to take their painting as reference, please do something to your own painting to make it uniquely yours, eg a hue change or add an animal to it or make a crop etc.

Mira88
12-16-2018, 09:43 AM
I've often watched videos of how to paint and they do inspire me to try their way, to improve on my own techniques. I watch the subtle tricks they use to get their end result and then I apply it to my own painting of my own reference. If you do decide to take their painting as reference, please do something to your own painting to make it uniquely yours, eg a hue change or add an animal to it or make a crop etc.

Oh, no, I didn't mean videos of paintings. I only meant usual movies or an inspiring commercials for example. Sometimes you can see beautiful scenery there (though not only scenery; actors do pose great!) and I thought I could put on a pause when I see like a castle with great view, for example, and try to paint it :)

raizes
12-16-2018, 06:34 PM
I've done that Mira, but I always change it up. So it's not a duplicate at all. I'll change color, remove things, composition, light..maybe add other things...etc.

Another idea is video games. Some of these games look like the real thing and can provide a nice reference also.

tuscanny
12-16-2018, 10:20 PM
That's a good question, a copyright lawyer in your area would know for sure but you could also ask for opinions in the Legal Corner of the Business forum.

tuscanny
12-17-2018, 12:26 PM
This is what Ken - Sparrowhawk has to say about copyright:

"Copyright can be a nightmare of confusion. And although it is generally the same everywhere, there can be differences from one country to another. There are some other gray areas as well. For instance, we all have the right to our image unless we are photographed in a crowd in a public place. That's why photographers carry releases with them for subjects to sign if they take their photo. It is a litigious society.

As far as I know as an artist, I now avoid using any photo unless it is in the public domain. Photos of stars or stills from a movie would all be covered by copyright by the photographer or the movie production company - and some of them can be aggressive in protecting their rights. We never see Disney characters any other place then a Disney production because they are notorious for litigation.

Technically the fair use clause is a means for artists to lawfully draw someone as it is a learning thing. Selling such a work though would be illegal without written permission from the actual copyright holder. And the clause is not always acceptable. I had a friend some years ago who wanted to draw a person on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She wrote to SI asking permission as she only wanted to study drawing. Their legal department sent her a very threatening letter that if she were to do so she would be sued. One could argue that they would never find out but they felt it was their right to take that position.

So I now only draw images in the public domain or photos I take myself because I not only sell them at times but I also enter them in competitions - some of which will not accept anything with copyright held by someone other than the artist. So to my way of thinking, better safe than sorry."

Mira88
12-18-2018, 06:27 AM
I've done that Mira, but I always change it up. So it's not a duplicate at all. I'll change color, remove things, composition, light..maybe add other things...etc.

Another idea is video games. Some of these games look like the real thing and can provide a nice reference also.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rich! I will try to learn to change things too. I am pretty good at copying, but very bad at bringing up new ideas to the existing composition and details. Need to practice that more!

Absolutely agree! Though I don't play videogames, when I see my husband playing them I am often surprised at some fantastic views and always think to myself, what a great inspiration! :)
Even children cartoons are sometimes very inspiring in this regard ;)

Mira88
12-18-2018, 06:35 AM
Thanks a lot for this really valuable info, Christel!!! Now I think I understand it much better. Agree with the author, better safe than sorry...

I am painting a card for the wedding aniversary of my husband and me now, and the reference photo is a photo from Samsun promoting their new tablet or phone with a great camera. I was doubting if I should post it here - now I am sure I better not post it anywhere! :D but it's so lovely and suits great for my anniversary greeting card that I simply couldn't resist the urge to copy it. Alright then, it will be just "home use", won't appear online.

Photos of stars or stills from a movie would all be covered by copyright by the photographer or the movie production company - and some of them can be aggressive in protecting their rights.

Oh! I thought stars photos were okay to use because there are street artists everywhere (at least in Russia) who draw your portrait and they always put up celebrities' portraits as examples of their works.
Actually many artists do that, I think... I've seen some do it for comissions, for example. Not sure what one should do in this case - that's a tricky situation indeed!

Mira88
12-18-2018, 07:08 AM
I have another question :)
I am doing lightfastness tests for my Mungyos and was wondering if the surface matters... I used some cheap watercolor paper and plan to keep it stuck to the window until August or until the colors start fading. We don't have much sunlight in my city (and choosing mid December for starting such a test is funny), but fortunately I have windows facing south, so... I think spring and summer light will be enough to trust the test :)
Hoping this cheap paper won't influence the results :angel:

tuscanny
12-18-2018, 11:48 AM
I haven't done this test myself yet. Why not try paper, sandpaper and canvas at the same time for comparison?
If you can look up the manufacturer of your specific brand of op, you should be able to get a list of available colors with the degree of light fastness of each one.

terriks
12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Here is my version of the boardwalk. This time I worked over a few days instead of trying again to get something done in one sitting. I'm just not there yet. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2018/2007441-Boardwalk_at_night.jpg

This was done on 9x12" Mi teintes colored paper. I used Senns black and prussian blue for the hillside, which unfortunately, has a lot of reflected light when trying to photograph it. Oh well.

tuscanny
12-18-2018, 10:43 PM
Terri - love it! I like how you've lightened the foreground. Lovely sky.

raizes
12-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Nicely done Terri. The sky is awesome, along with the silhouette of trees. Looks great!

Photo looks good and I know how hard it is to get the darks to look right. Well done.

terriks
12-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Thanks so much, Christel and Rich!

laika
12-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Well done, Terri! So many night and low-light scenes done well this month, and this is a fine addition. That sky couldn't have been easy, but it looks great.

Hey, off topic, but Terri, I have a cyanotype photo over in the Pen and Ink forum sketchbook thread; probably still on the last page of the thread.

ministerstwo_grafitu
12-21-2018, 01:14 PM
terriks,
great:thumbsup: I wish I could do straight lines like this in oil pastels:eek:

Mira88
12-21-2018, 01:28 PM
I haven't done this test myself yet. Why not try paper, sandpaper and canvas at the same time for comparison?
If you can look up the manufacturer of your specific brand of op, you should be able to get a list of available colors with the degree of light fastness of each one.

That's an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that :)
Oh, Mungyo has been keeping silent about the lightfastness of the artist grade OPs... so I have to find it out with my own tests :P

Mira88
12-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Terri, very nice and deep sky! Seems like there is mist over the hills, it adds mystery to the picture :)

terriks
12-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Well done, Terri! So many night and low-light scenes done well this month, and this is a fine addition. That sky couldn't have been easy, but it looks great.

Hey, off topic, but Terri, I have a cyanotype photo over in the Pen and Ink forum sketchbook thread; probably still on the last page of the thread.
Thanks, Lamar! I did a lot of blending in the sky, except at the top, where I let the texture of the paper peep through for added stars.

I looked over in the Pen and Ink sketchbook thread - are you referring to the beautiful blue cat drawing? I love it!

I'm afraid of ink, I freely admit. :D. Too permanent. I like being able to correct my many mistakes! A lot of impressive work over there, including yours.

terriks
12-21-2018, 06:20 PM
M2-G, Mira - thank you both for the comments! :)

laika
12-21-2018, 11:01 PM
looked over in the Pen and Ink sketchbook thread - are you referring to the beautiful blue cat drawing?

Terri, no, not the blue cat. In my post on the last page in that thread there's a stippled pen-and-ink drawing of a man standing in water. I remembered that I h ad a cyanotype photograph that the old drawing was based on, so I added the photo in the bottom of the same post.

It's one of the very few alt-process photos that I've made in my life.

EDIT: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391832&page=38 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391832&page=38)
Post number 570, IIRC.
(http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391832&page=38)

terriks
12-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Oh, thanks for the link! I was way off. :lol:

This is a proper cyanotype, beautifully executed. You achieved very deep tonality here. I agree with your comment about the haunting nature of the subject matter. It's intriguing! Having water in the image makes the cyanotype process a natural fit, too, which doesn't always happen.

Great job, and I'm so happy you shared this!

Btw, your stippled ink technique looks great, too. I've always enjoyed playing with the same negative or photo, using different photographic techniques. It's amazing how they can change their character, isn't it? :)

laika
12-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Thanks for looking, Terri :) Glad you liked it. I made a digital negative from the original 4x6 photo. Any quality you see there is beginner's luck.

Apologies to others for going off topic.

JenieJo
12-24-2018, 04:35 AM
Nice collection, but don't think I'll get one finished tonight.

Have to see what I can do in the New Year

Mira88
12-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Merry Christmas to everyone! Hope you had a nice day :)

I got a very timely present (even if we Russians don't celebrate Christmas on this day) - my Amazon order arrived yesterday, it's Ken Leslie's "Oil Pastels" book and a 12 pcs set of Neopastels! :clap:
I'm very happy cause Neopastels cost almost twice as much in Russia and the book is just impossible to get. Awesome Christmas/New Year present :cat:

I have one more Christmas-style work coming - hopefully can finish it till December 31st :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2018/2115959-1057;1085;1080;1084;1086;1082;.JPG

tuscanny
12-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Yay! Congratulations on your op's and book. Enjoy yourself!

terriks
12-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Hooray for new stuff! I hope you enjoy the book and find a few useful tips and tricks. :) Have fun!!

Mira88
12-28-2018, 03:23 AM
Christel and Terri - thank you! :) I definitely will ;)