PDA

View Full Version : recent fountain pen sketches

vhere
11-16-2018, 07:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2018/53888-autumn_tangle_garden_sailor_fude_pen.jpg

quick sketch out of the window today of the tangled autum leaves and bare branches. Done with a Sailor Fude pen - I love the variety of marks/widths of mark you can get with them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2018/53888-timmy_massacre.jpg

sketch from an old photo of our cat ready to pounce - when I developed the film (taken in b&w film - I was into developing and printing) I noticed the headline on the newspaper :)

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2018/53888-market_harborough_cafe_corner_may_18__crop2.jpg

and a corner shop with watersoluble pens and white pencil on grey S&B nova sketchbook

Charlie's Mum
11-16-2018, 10:53 AM
I like the freshness of the marks, gives an immediacy to the work.
How appropriate a headline for the cat!:lol:
Really lke that corner shop drawing, very nice!

pedlars pen
11-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Very accomplished sketches, just excellent !
I would like to see some more using the Sailor Fude pen if you have any handy.
The pen & wash of the corner shop is very obviously a pen in a painters hand .
I didn't know it could be done quite like that ! (& I've seen a lot) :lol:
Thanks for sharing,
Mike.

vhere
11-17-2018, 06:28 AM
thank you both :) - I like to blur the line between drawing and painting :)

RoadLessTaken
11-17-2018, 06:09 PM
I love how the lines just flow like there was no effort to capture these scenes on paper!
I especially like the corner store and I keep staring at it trying to memorize how your lines indicate that it is on a corner. (I have a lousy eye for angles!)

Excellent!
Sheila

vhere
11-18-2018, 05:05 AM
one of my students told me something to deal with perspective that I was never taught at school or college - she said imagine the line as the hand on a clock - what time is it pointing at.

It's like fighter pilots - 'bandits at 6 o' clock' ! but so visual and easy to use. I just don't think mathematically with x point perspective, I work more instinctively. I now teach that to my students.

A tutor, years ago said 'imagine your brush/pencil is touching the thing being painted' I sort of feel the shape/line, and work fast which keeps the fluidity.

Hope that's helpful

RoadLessTaken
11-18-2018, 01:38 PM
one of my students told me something to deal with perspective that I was never taught at school or college - she said imagine the line as the hand on a clock - what time is it pointing at.

It's like fighter pilots - 'bandits at 6 o' clock' ! but so visual and easy to use. I just don't think mathematically with x point perspective, I work more instinctively. I now teach that to my students.

A tutor, years ago said 'imagine your brush/pencil is touching the thing being painted' I sort of feel the shape/line, and work fast which keeps the fluidity.

Hope that's helpful

VERY helpful! Best way I've ever heard it explained! Thanks so much!
Sheila

vhere
11-19-2018, 02:27 AM
glad it was helpful :)

Boafamily
11-21-2018, 11:24 AM
I like your style.:)

ArtMarkie
11-21-2018, 11:53 AM
The shop has such a nice painterly quality. So loose.

RoadLessTaken
11-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Vhere,
Another question- popped up when I was dreaming about drawing an urban setting. Do you measure the angles to get the same degree when doing the something like the shop? I mean, there is the door at 12 o'clock and then each side going off, we'll say at 3 minutes before 12 and 3 minutes after. In my "less than easy and loose" approach to things I rarely get accurate mirror angles and am wondering if this comes naturally to you or if you have another trick to share?

Thanks!
Sheila

vhere
11-24-2018, 06:18 AM
yes you just judge each line/angle on its own and keep in mind what it's level with above and below so negative spaces and other elements work - I don't really do it often as I'm not bad at perspective, but when it's complex I do.

pedlars pen
11-24-2018, 06:01 PM
One easy method I find useful is to hold a straight edge up (with one eye closed) to get the angle right,a ruler,your pen, whatever is handy.
Often I will hold it in my left hand being right handed & draw it whilst directly observing the straight edge rather than the actual subject , & YES you do get some surprises, can that really be right ? Well yes it must be !
Mike.