PDA

View Full Version : Sarnath

Blah
11-06-2018, 08:12 AM
This is a pen, ink, and watercolour wash sketch on khadi watercolour paper using a photograph taken by my wife as reference. Sarnath is located a few miles outside Benares/Kashi or Varanasi as it is now called. This was a deer park when Gautama Buddha was seeking enlightenment, and is the place where he gave his first sermon to five disciples after he attaining enlightenment. This site is also of importance to Jains

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2018/31572-Sarnath,_pen,_ink_and_colour_wash.jpg

My sketch shows the Dhamek Stupa on the left and Sri Digambar Jain Temple on the right. The stupa marks the spot where Buddha delivered his first sermon and the structure is said to be 1500 years old. This structure replaced another one at the same spot which was build around 750 years earlier by Emperor Asoka.

Charlie's Mum
11-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Lovely sketch Balaji - soft colouring and very nice handling of the foliage.

pedlars pen
11-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Gorgeous Balaji ,like Maureen I too appreciate the soft colouring,a beautiful picture depicting the light so very well.
Like the truth these monuments celebrate not just beautiful but energised too.Special.
Mike