PDA

View Full Version : Pet Portrait - is there much of a market for it ?

bridgette1967
11-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Im after your opinion - do you think the pet portrait market is a small niche or is it an area that is becoming bigger and bigger ?

Pthalo White
11-02-2018, 05:50 PM
My opinion is if you're doing it for money, you're wasting your time. I have a friend who was doing pet portraits for her friends as gifts. They loved it, and said, "Oh, Lisa, you should do this as a business!" So she was referred to other friends and acquaintances. Funny thing was, suddenly, the pet portraits weren't so wonderful. People are very, very picky about their pets and how they're portrayed. Add to that, the money involved, many wouldn't pay. It was a bad business.

So unless you have great references and a great portfolio, I'd rethink it.

bridgette1967
11-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Advice duly noted and taken on board - thanks. Latest idea is drone pilot and photography - I didnt realise you have to be licenced though....

Merriweather
11-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Im after your opinion - do you think the pet portrait market is a small niche or is it an area that is becoming bigger and bigger ?

I have a friend who makes a living from pet portraits. She is well established and I think that is the key. !

I don't know if its a niche market anymore, although possibly when she began many years ago, it may have been the right time to begin.

I do know ' Colour in your life' promoted an Aussie artist who is also making pet portraits. I am awfully sorry, I don't recall the artists name, therefore I don't have a link to add.