PDA

View Full Version : NOVEMBER Pen and Ink Challenge

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2018, 08:37 AM
We're continuing our Drawing from Life challenge in Pen and Ink and hope many will join us!

Inktober was so inspiring! I hope many of those who valiantly made daily drawing for 31 days will join us this month - for even one drawing - in our November challenge.

Let's capture our own personal and individual moments and share them here on this thread!

All suggestions/subjects/themes come from those who participate!:lol:

*********NOW – here’s where you do your part – as well as your drawing, of course!
As you post your own drawing in this thread, please then also suggest ONE subject/topic for next month. One entry = One suggestion for September .... another entry? - another suggestion!:)
By the end of the month we should have a range of ideas from which you can choose – and please do feel free to discuss any of the suggestions raised: who knows, you may even start keeping your own private list for future ideas!***********

One important rule -Entries must be at least 75% pen and ink in any colour - and wash or colour may be added.

Your suggestions for November:

...to do with cooking

autumn (or spring) scene

Dried leaves or plant

something to wear

a winter scene (northern hemisphere) or spring (southern Hemisphere)

RoadLessTaken
11-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Thanks Charlie's Mum!
I'm going to try to do a small sketch a night so I get back into the swing of things.
These are tiny Alder Cones. I buy bunches of them dried to lower the pH in the fish tank. I thought they'd be a quick easy beginning.
I used my RoTring Artpen with a definite leaky cartridge! (Paper is in a Staedler Watercolor Art Journal)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2018/183686-AlderConesResized.jpg

They looked quite good until I put my glasses on!

*Edit- suggestion for next month's challenge- Your favorite form of transportation.

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

Charlie's Mum
11-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Sheila - all offers gratefully accepted, however small, rushed, leaky-penned or not!!!:lol:

I didn't know such cones lowered the pH level for the fish - see? - a learning thread too!

Thank you for starting us off.

VanAndrew
11-03-2018, 02:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2018/1987562-camosun-600.jpg

A local urban bog, a surprisingly pleasant escape from the surrounding city. Micron and brush pen, in black and grey ink.

Looking out my window, I can make a suggestion for a theme: rain. :rolleyes:

Charlie's Mum
11-03-2018, 05:07 PM
What a lovely, fresh drawing - and that little figure adding a sense of scale - nice!

Charlie's Mum
11-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Suggestions for December:

Your favorite form of transportation.

Rain!

pedlars pen
11-03-2018, 07:24 PM
A lovely piece of brush work Van Andrew.
I wish I could use a brush but despite experimentation I just can't draw without feedback from the tool !
I feel like looking at the mark I'm making when using a brush rather than the scene I'm drawing is essential .
It's a very different skill to using a pen but I can sure appreciate it when I see it done so well.
Mike

RoadLessTaken
11-03-2018, 11:36 PM
As usual, I can't see what I've drawn until I look at it through the eye of a camera. After the first photo I realized I was seeing more than I was putting in the drawing (not always a bad ting!) And by the third I realized how many shapes are actually made by their own shadows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2018/183686-Oakleaf1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2018/183686-Oakleaf2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2018/183686-Oakleaf3.jpg

Copic pen, Zebra brush pen, soft pastel.

Suggestion- Things that begin with the letter "G".

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

VanAndrew
11-03-2018, 11:46 PM
I wish I could use a brush but despite experimentation I just can't draw without feedback from the tool !

Hah I know exactly what you mean, it really can feel like drawing on air! My favorite ink drawing implement is a stick I have carved into a chisel point, it's a very "muscular" way to draw with lots of feedback.

rosta
11-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Nice drawings Sheila.
VanAndrew - that's a lovely clean image.

I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms after Inktober, so here's my fix - something to do with cooking.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2018/2076281-IMG_20181104_0001.jpg

... or is it something out of Star Wars? Drawing it at kitchen counter level definitely made it look more interesting.

Drawn in S & B Alpha sketchbook, using black and grey(!) Uni-pins, Kuretake black and grey inks.

rosta
11-04-2018, 08:04 AM
PS forgot to suggest something for next month - garden furniture.

Jo Castillo
11-04-2018, 09:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2018/57688-wc563weed.jpg

My Scavenger Hunt sketch fits here. Plant. Pilot fountain pen in coffee table size sketchbook. Freehand.

Sheila, great leaf w/shadows. I like the strokes on the Alder cones.

Rosta, love the angle on the kitchen machine.

VanAndrew - I like the landscape and reflections.

Suggestion for next
Hands

Charlie's Mum
11-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Sheila - how nice to show your thought process here!Thank you!

Ron - I looked at this before scrolling further and seeing the rest of your comment!:lol: - it really does look like a vehicle for space travel! Maybe you should turn to film prop design!
Good drawing!
PS - draw each day and post if you're feeling those withdrawal symptoms still :evil: :lol:

Jo - glad you posted here too - nice drawing showing the character of the plant.

Charlie's Mum
11-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Rain!

Something beginning with 'G'

Hands

Garden furniture

Something that makes you smile

Ron - we need your suggestion!:D

rosta
11-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your kind comments Maureen.

My suggestion for next month is garden furniture.

pedlars pen
11-04-2018, 06:36 PM
That's nice Ron, indeed you might put an exclamation mark after "grey" :eek: :lol: :lol:
But more seriously - yes undoubtedly using grey does kind of make the shadow look more realistic but in equal measure using grey takes away from both the sheer power & abstraction inherent in a pure black & white drawing.
Of course it is a matter of personal judgement & taste,I'm an old school admirer of black & white for depicting shade but I still do wonder sometimes.:)
Mike.

Charlie's Mum
11-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Thanks Ron - suggestion added.:)

monarch
11-05-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm missing Inktober! :lol: I had really enjoyed checking the thread each day to see the new treasures that awaited.

Here's my autumn scene, a magpie on a leafless branch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2018/70654-Magpie_ink-1_copy.jpg

Suggestion for next month: something that makes you smile

Maureen, thank you for hosting!

Shelia, cute pine cones and I especially like your leaf

VanA, nice bog scene and very interesting, since we don't have bogs where I live

Jo, I like the way you did the leaves on your plant

Mike, your comment regarding using gray is interesting. I'm curious about colored ink. Is only black ink encouraged in old-school purist pen and ink drawings? Or is the preference just any ONE color of ink?

Ron, nice perspective on the food processor and I can see how it could look at first glance like some sort of space machine ... or even my granddaughter's Paw Patrol toy! ;) :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2018/70654-paw_patrol_vehicle.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Ah! That maggie makes me smile Monarch! ..... even though I chase them from the garden because they raid the nests of smaller birds!
Lovely drawing .... I do like your style!

RoadLessTaken
11-05-2018, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry I'm not commenting on each drawing but I've grown so accustomed to clicking "like" on Facebook and "Twitter" and moving on I'm no longer using my memory (or notes!) to remember names.

I also like playing with different ink colors and especially waterproof inks and inks that "run" when wet so I can create a lighter shade. I have bottles of inks I have yet to open awaiting that wonderful resource called "time". We have so much of it when we don't want it and so little of it when we need it most!
Thanks everyone for teaching me.

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

monarch
11-08-2018, 01:17 AM
Thank you so much, Maureen! :wave:

Here's my entry for something to wear. I made parts of it darker than I'd planned, but there are no do-overs in ink! :lol:

My suggestion for next month is celebration.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2018/70654-November_ink-1_copy.jpg

Nterjosh
11-08-2018, 11:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2018/973432-Tree-5.jpg

Trees/Leaves in my back yard. Im cursed with always seeing faces in things/nature.

Next Month: Fractals

Charlie's Mum
11-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Good baseball cap Monarch - not too heavy at all - decribes the structure well!:)

I can think of worse curses Josh!!!!!!!
What an interesting drawing this is! :thumbsup:

I'll update the choces for next month - thank you.

Charlie's Mum
11-08-2018, 12:38 PM

Rain!

Hands

Garden furniture

Celebration

Fractals

pedlars pen
11-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Mike, your comment regarding using gray is interesting. I'm curious about colored ink. Is only black ink encouraged in old-school purist pen and ink drawings? Or is the preference just any ONE color of ink?

Umm...... just using one colour ultimately compels you to use the depths of pen technique yet in the past black was the colour of ink- period.
It's just that in the past black ink was what was available - so that is what was used 99% of the time, therefore that became "the tradition". (even those gorgeous browns of the renaisance & Rrembrand etc. are the result of the black oak gaul ink degrading over the centuries !:eek:
Additionally black on white was the only option for printing right up to the 1930's .
Whether by force of circumstance (that's all they had !) being limited to black alone lead to a concentration on the use black ink alone & that has lead to the many different drawing techniques & stylistic approches we see today.

For me personally to my old fashioned viewpoint ! Grey looks fine to my eye yet it does deny the various subtle & abstact ways of depicting shadow, such as hatching in the same colour ink or using a varied weight of outline or wash etc.
However when people use lot's of colour blocks outlined in ink - I feel they disrespect both the ink & the paint as mediums.
Mike

monarch
11-09-2018, 08:42 PM
I appreciate the info, Mike. :thumbsup:

RoadLessTaken
11-13-2018, 11:25 PM
However when people use lot's of colour blocks outlined in ink - I feel they disrespect both the ink & the paint as mediums.
Mike

I do a lot of commissioned pet portraits. My style has been to do the entire thing in black and white with the exception to the most striking attribute of the pet, done in color- most usually it's the eyes. (Or a big slobbery tongue!)

But when people are paying me they request "color". Few recognize that real ink doesn't offer a huge variety of color. (Ugh, do NOT mention gel pens!) I have suggested requesting a different artist but they "know me." I do have some very expensive pens that are actually alcohol markers which come in a wide variety of color but I like black, sepia, and gray.

Some of my most "embarrassing works" hang proudly over mantels. To me, they look like coloring book pages but to each their own!

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

pedlars pen
11-14-2018, 07:09 PM
I do a lot of commissioned pet portraits. My style has been to do the entire thing in black and white with the exception to the most striking attribute of the pet, done in color- most usually it's the eyes. (Or a big slobbery tongue!)

But when people are paying me they request "color". Few recognize that real ink doesn't offer a huge variety of color. (Ugh, do NOT mention gel pens!) I have suggested requesting a different artist but they "know me." I do have some very expensive pens that are actually alcohol markers which come in a wide variety of color but I like black, sepia, and gray.
Some of my most "embarrassing works" hang proudly over mantels. To me, they look like coloring book pages but to each their own!
Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

:lol::lol::lol: I totally get that Sheila !
I suppose you cannot expect your average Joe to have developed the degree of aesthetic judgement of a committed artist in their chosen medium !
For myself I find that telling customers that B&W will fit into any colour scheme even if they change the soft furniture, works well ! ;).
Slightly more serious if you are forced to use colour, you might like to try the "Derwent inktense pencils" if you haven't already. To my eye the uniform flat colour they give when used with ink does marry well with the line work & also offers a massive range of colours considering you can mix the already large range of colours available.
DO check the lightfastness though as a few are very low scoring on this.
Mike

Jo Castillo
11-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Thanks, all.

monarch, great gesture and form on the magpie. Excellent. I like the cap. Great shape and hatching. Doesn't look too dark unless it was a white cap. Evil grin.

Nterjosh, Aww, I like those faces in the plants. Clever and fun to see.

I've been doing a watercolor class. I'm a glutton for punishment. Hope to get more done for here.

RoadLessTaken
11-23-2018, 08:23 PM
:lol::lol::lol: I totally get that Sheila !
Slightly more serious if you are forced to use colour, you might like to try the "Derwent inktense pencils" if you haven't already. To my eye the uniform flat colour they give when used with ink does marry well with the line work & also offers a massive range of colours considering you can mix the already large range of colours available.
DO check the lightfastness though as a few are very low scoring on this.
Mike

Thanks Mike although I just returned from a "cheap trip" to Blick, I'll look for for these Derwent pencils next time. I get out of the store much less poor if I don't create a "list" before going although I do buy paper, paper, and more paper! (I'm terrified I'm going to be infirm someday with billions of pens and no good watercolor paper! And it's too expensive to convince any non-artsy person that it's a necessity with ink drawings!)

I've been doing a bunch of boring volunteer artwork signs for a local park. The signs hand in an encased bulletin board but every ink fades (last ones were done 4 years ago so I shouldn't be complaining!) I "accidentally" purchased the mother load of Sharpie marks on "Prime Day" from Amazon. I hate the lack of subtlety with the colors but they are work horses in the world of outdoor inks. If I ever decide to go "hippy" Sharpies may be my choice!

Sheila

artastic
11-24-2018, 12:43 PM
well my post went completely AWOL
I posted last week and it is GONE
I love those tree faces josh

great drawings everyone

this I did last week of my winter back yard,
my new bird condo and winter trees

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2018/104250-outdoor_winter_trees.jpg

suggestion for next month is CHOCOLATE

Charlie's Mum
11-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Bonnie - a delightful drawing .. sensitive work on those tree branches and a such a great bird-motel!

Charlie's Mum
11-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Rain!

Hands

Garden furniture

Celebration

Fractals

Chocolate