PDA

View Full Version : Brush cleaner

Pogo-76
10-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Hi.

I have a question about what to use to clean your brushes after inking.
I was thinking of getting the 'Masters Brush Cleaner & Preserver' which many seem to recommend but I thought maybe artists with a lot of experience have some other advice, like maybe simple soap.

I use Da Vinci Maestro sable water color brushes for my inking.

pedlars pen
10-27-2018, 10:58 AM
See Black & white's current post here- http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1456013 for dried ink :eek:.

Otherwise for less drastic cleaning a normal dish washing detergent does the job fine.
Cleaning brushes is perhaps the most damaging time for them because we tend to stab their finely shaped points mindlessly into our hand or a container - Be gentle & delicate & roll the tip between your thumb & fore finger with the detergent on.Only ever use cold water.
In use - Don't dip up to or past the metal ferrule when loading them with ink 3/4 of the length of the bristles will load it to 100%- any more & you shorten brush life.
If a brush is getting tired - a quick condition with hair conditioner can help.

If a brush is misshapen & losing it's pointed tip - after cleaning use hand soap (the stuff which comes in bars) & rub in with your fingers with water - shape it by hand & leave it to dry,leave a few days or weeks. A quick rinse & it will hold on to it's memory of it's tidy like new shape.
Mike