PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about Shrink wrap

djbuds
10-20-2018, 07:25 PM
My friend bought duck prints and the postage stamps to match, her and her hubby matted and framed them themselves now she wants to take them out of the frames and put them on a display stand, I told her I could mount them on rag acid free foam broad and than shrink wrap them. I didnít worry about the shrink wrap touching the artwork because of the Matt board that surrounds it it would keep it away from the artwork.... but she wants the stamp on the Matt board so I got this clear archival polyester photo corners (main use photos and art). Hereís my question will the corners thatíll go around the stamps be enough thickness to keep the shrink wrap from damageing or fading the stamps? Would the shrink wrap or corner even damage the art or stamps?

djbuds
10-21-2018, 12:12 PM
After reading what I wrote I think it is as clear as mud so here is a visual explanation of my guestion. :rolleyes: (forgot they do want to use the same mattboard)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2018/1180676-1AC05F2D-1DDD-4871-B45A-3F0DF3AA8A9D.jpeg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2018/1180676-9E23C99C-12C7-4ED7-BAE6-67EE57CCF212.jpeg

KreativeK
10-23-2018, 10:50 AM
The corners should protect and provide enough lift so the wrap will not damage the stamps; been using SW for over 20 years w/ no problems.

skappy
10-23-2018, 04:18 PM
Seems ok to me I m using roll of cellophane enveloppes available here to wrap art work I bet theyre available by you too and they re so cheap

djbuds
10-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Thank you so much Kay and Robert for your input.

Kay, dose the shrink wrap get to old to use? I got the machine and the wrap years ago, got a really good deal but I am having a little trouble with the wrap getting holes when I heat it. The heat gun is on low and I stay the same distance away from the wrap. The worst part each time that the hole appears I am almost finish wrapping it. Eventually I got it wrapped...but I have 29 more to do :eek: Got any suggestions?

KreativeK
10-23-2018, 09:51 PM
Donna, the custom framer who trained me said it does get old after several years. Mine is getting old but still is usable w/ the heat gun, performing okay.

djbuds
10-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Kay,
Well I guess that's why it's going it, it is pretty old. I really didn't think that there was that much of a difference in shrink wrap, basically I thought if it was acid free it was good to use....thinking I may have to buy more I didn't know that there was difference in shrink wrap. Dick Blick sells economy which it looks like you have to buy the kit along with the wrap. Then they have archival shrink wrap bags.... they are 10 bags in a pack size 12 x 24 for $37.69 and higher, to me that is a little pricey and I really don't want bags I like the rolls. No one showed how to wrap my prints it was trail and error... Did I make a mistake with this kind of shrink wrap? Man..... I hope I didn't screw up.