PDA

View Full Version : Blue eye... (oil pastel)

Heartista
11-12-2003, 04:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/30808-BlueEye.jpg

This is an oil pastel from a photo I have taken.
The site is in South Albania. "Blue eye" comes from the fact that the source is named like this, because it appears like an eye with a blue iris (well, kind of cerulean / sky blue).
About 1 km from the source, there is this 'lake' (in fact, it's an artificial lake, there's a dam there, and two small hydro-electrical plants somewhere near).

Now, the paper... it's A4, plain computer paper...
(I took a Canson, looked at it... said to myself... such a beautiful paper should not be wasted like this... let's make a test first... well, here's the result... but the Canson paper is still empty -- the Canson was slightly larger than A4)

As a side note, I checked the poll about Canson paper... hmm.. only about half like it (?) LOL

The Pastels are Van Gogh (most of them, i.e. yellows, ochre, greens, and a bit of the sky blue), while the rest (mainly black, and the blue of the lake) are from a 24 pastel set of Daler-Rowney.

Now, as regards the composition, the lake does not look very good to me, but anyway, that's it, after all it was mostly done for a study...

P.S. Yeah, I like this uploader tool... I use to preview my posts, so, I can also look at the image when I do preview... :)

Dark_Shades
11-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum...... there a quite a few artists that use mainly OP's so Im sure they will be able to comment better than I....... I just thought this was really nice, and liked the way the trees framed the scene and led you into it...... you might like to try it again on Canson..... lol .. despite the poll ;) ... its amazing what different effects other papers have on works

Ol' Don
11-12-2003, 06:11 PM
My subject says it all. And golly, I don't think I've used anything but Canson....:)

Heartista
11-13-2003, 03:24 AM
OP = Oil Pastel

Now, I have not really tried (seriously I mean) soft pastels, except only once when I had a black and a white Rembrandt pastel (if I want to try something, I always buy a black and a white, since you can make a finished painting/drawing with just these two colors - though it will be black and white, and no color of course) :)

Oh, and thank you for the comments.