PDA

View Full Version : OP paper question

@teulis
09-28-2018, 02:20 AM
:wave: I believe related questions have been asked before, but I mostly find threads from about 10 years ago. With the changes and new products that come about in a decade I'm hoping to gather more current info.

I'm looking for papers that will take numerous layers of OP well. So far I've only tried Mi-Teintes. I would think sanded papers take many more layers but do they devour the OPs? Is there a certain grit or brand that has the happy medium between tooth and not-eating the pastel?

I'm eyeing the Dakota pastel paper sampler - it offers a very nice array. Only the shipping is half the price of the pkg. Are there any other places to get a nice sampling of different papers?

Any information will be much appreciated.

raizes
09-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Hello Teulis,

I've used several different brands of paper and other surfaces for oil pastel. I think we all have our favs depending on technique or style. My number one favorite paper right now is Clairefontaine Pastelmat. Only place I can find it is Amazon. My next favorite is Arches Cold Press Oil paper, which I found in Oil painting section at an art store.

The pastelmat is 170lb thickness and the Arches is 140lb. I prefer a thick, durable paper. Compared to 80lb mitientes or the strathmore. I blend heavily and really move and push the OP into the paper. The thicker the better for that type of style. Both can take many layers.

Canvas, cork, wood,...I've tried those too. If you are looking for a hard panel, then I think DaVinci Pro Panels (medium or grit texture) are really nice. I find those at Jerry's artarama dot com.

@teulis
09-28-2018, 04:27 PM
I thought the sanded papers were more for soft pastels. I'm going to be trying out some different sanded papers for the soft pastels so I'll try the ops on them all as well. I've currently only used Mi-Teintes.

I wasn't aware of the Arches oil paper. Sounds interesting. You find that it has enough tooth to hold many layers? Or do you apply a primer? I see Blicks has the Arches oil paper and it doesn't seem too expensive.

I'll be trying out the oil paper as well as Pastelmat and a few other sanded papers. I'll try the oil paper for oils as well. Thanks Raizes!

raizes
09-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Yeah the Arches has good texture. I really like the layering and amount of blending it can take. I don't use primer. But I do use sennelier's colorless blender, which is essentially extra oil/wax. Helps extend, cover and blend easier.

Pastelmat is still though my favorite surface. I can get tighter details with it. Paper is softer to touch than the arches....feels better when blending.

Dcam
09-29-2018, 01:00 PM
I have quite a few paintings on Arches Oil.
I like it and if too rough for a certain subject, you can always gesso it.

Jess1958
12-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Hi All,
Has anyone tried painting OPs over oil paint?

tuscanny
12-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Hi Jess. Yes op's work very well over dry oils.