PDA

View Full Version : Cholamandal Centre for Contemporary Art

Blah
09-23-2018, 06:22 AM
My wife, daughter, and I are members of a local sketching group. We sketch on location on Sunday mornings. Today's venue, the Matsya Narayana Temple, did not pan out. Several of us got there and were told that no sketching was permitted on the premises. Fortunately the Cholamandal Artists Village (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholamandal_Artists%27_Village) was located nearby and we were welcomed there. I was able to find a well shaded spot and spent around an hour on this sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2018/31572-Cholamandal_Centre_for_Contemporary_Art.jpg

indraneel
09-23-2018, 07:44 AM
That's a well thought out plein air sketch! I guess the shaded spot helped with that!

Several of us got there and were told that no sketching was permitted on the premises.

I've never heard that before. Maybe it had to do with too many sketchers? Usually, some temples don't like it if the visitors stray off the beaten path... [...which, in hindsight, is probably what religion is all about...]

Charlie's Mum
09-23-2018, 09:03 AM
......and were told that no sketching was permitted on the premises.
How sad! But maybe their loss was our gain because this is a really lovely sketch.
Your tonal distribution gives a real sense of sunlight and shade and your viewpoint invites us in. Thank you!

Watercolour lover
09-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Very nice. A suggestion? I would have made the background foliage darker to form negative painting and allow the foreground foliage to stand out. Mind you, plein air pen and ink means quick decisions and time is often running short. Well done.
John

Triduana
09-23-2018, 12:32 PM
A lovely scene, I like how the scene is framed by the trees and the path leads us in.

pedlars pen
09-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Very nice Blah ! I hope people can see the sheer life , vigour & expression that a dip pen can give in the hands of an experienced pen artist.
This IS pen drawing !
Mike

Blah
09-25-2018, 08:39 AM
That's a well thought out plein air sketch! I guess the shaded spot helped with that!

I've never heard that before. Maybe it had to do with too many sketchers? Usually, some temples don't like it if the visitors stray off the beaten path... [...which, in hindsight, is probably what religion is all about...]

Thank you Indraneel. Yes, the shaded spot was certainly very welcome.

There was no crowd at the temple. We were about half a dozen sketchers at that point in time and there were only another three or four visitors present then. But apparently at this particular temple one has to get prior permission to sketch from their central office located around 25 km away. And it could not be done over the phone.

Blah
09-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Maureen, John, Kay, Mike...Thank you.
John...That is a good point to keep in mind the next time I do such a subject.