PDA

View Full Version : blockx

wendyv123
09-14-2018, 01:06 PM
What do you think of them ? I am really new to pastels and I own a set of Koh I Noor (soft + hard + pencils), they were really cheap in Prague so bought them for playing around one of these days. I am looking around for a better quality as a Christmas gift. I have read about Blockx watercolour in a Zoltan Zsabo book and I discovered that they make pastels AND that they are a Belgian family company since 1865 and only use the finest pigments. https://www.blockx.be/en/histoire/historique.asp They claim that their pastels are fairly dustfree 'marks on your paper but not on your hand' and I have read that they are really nice and soft. Are they worth a try ?

Donna T
09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Hi Wendy - I've never used this brand of pastel so I'm curious to learn what others may think of them. One person gave them a very good review on the Blick website but I couldn't find them in any of the other art supply stores I use. If they are available where you live it might be worth buying a few open stock colors before you invest in a set - and let us know how you like them, please!

DAK723
09-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Blockx are a nice medium softness pastel. I would say that they are probably a good choice for someone new to pastels as the really soft brands are often a bit harder to control and you can use them up really fast. Blockx has a good reputation in art supplies, and if you are in Belgium, then they would be a good choice!

Don

wendyv123
09-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Blockx are a nice medium softness pastel. I would say that they are probably a good choice for someone new to pastels as the really soft brands are often a bit harder to control and you can use them up really fast. Blockx has a good reputation in art supplies, and if you are in Belgium, then they would be a good choice!

Don

how are they compared to Rembrandt and Schmincke ? I know some artist that really love Schmincke but I dislike the fact that they have colours (pastels, watercolour,...) that have very poor lightfastness. Blockx states 'We do not and never have prepared transient or unstable shades. A classification by degree of stability would, therefore be out of place'

DAK723
09-16-2018, 11:36 PM
Schmincke are one of the softest of the "soft pastels." Rembrandts are one of the hardest of the "soft pastels." Blockx would fall into the medium softness category, in my opinion.

Personally, I do not worry about lightfastness. Pastels are framed under glass and should be kept out of direct sunlight (as all paintings should). The few pigments that have poor lightfastness are not worth worrying about as the vast majority of pigments have lightfastness that is plenty good enough. Again, that's just my opinion.

Don

Amian3d
10-20-2018, 05:48 PM
I personally love them, i also love working with Rembrandt, they are definitely softer than Rembrandt. I have schmincke, and i still prefer for now a bit firmer soft pastel, but that has to do with the way i work of course. The only negative thing in my opinion is that blockx has too few colors to my liking, same as Rembrandt.
They do have lovely range of muted colors, something i gravitated to.
However i've seen the pricing of both brands in North America, quite expensive, but in Europe they are much cheaper, so they are worth the price.

wendyv123
10-21-2018, 07:58 AM
I personally love them, i also love working with Rembrandt, they are definitely softer than Rembrandt. I have schmincke, and i still prefer for now a bit firmer soft pastel, but that has to do with the way i work of course. The only negative thing in my opinion is that blockx has too few colors to my liking, same as Rembrandt.
They do have lovely range of muted colors, something i gravitated to.
However i've seen the pricing of both brands in North America, quite expensive, but in Europe they are much cheaper, so they are worth the price.

thank you, I am going to buy a set of 72 landscape or sky and seasons.... don't know yet ! bedankt voor de info !

Amian3d
10-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Hey, ik heb niet gezien dat je ook van BelgiŽ bent :-)
Gerstaecker doet regelmatig aan promoties, hele set voor tussen 300 Š 400 euro, je moet ze maar in de gaten houden.

wendyv123
10-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Hey, ik heb niet gezien dat je ook van BelgiŽ bent :-)
Gerstaecker doet regelmatig aan promoties, hele set voor tussen 300 Š 400 euro, je moet ze maar in de gaten houden.

:wave: tnx !

I did order a set of 72 landscape colours in a wooden box for 135 Euro. I am new to pastels so I did not want to invest so much money in a medium that I don't know yet. I have started art school (drawing), first year for me :) I hope we get a chance to visit the Blockx factory this year.

Amian3d
10-23-2018, 03:05 PM
:wave: tnx !

I did order a set of 72 landscape colours in a wooden box for 135 Euro. I am new to pastels so I did not want to invest so much money in a medium that I don't know yet. I have started art school (drawing), first year for me :) I hope we get a chance to visit the Blockx factory this year.
I completely understand. That's actually a pretty good deal, where did you purchase it, i might order it myself :-)
That would be cool to visit their factory!
And lots of fun with your first year at the academy.

wendyv123
10-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Ik woon vlak bij de Nederlandse grens en kan mijn bestelling ophalen bij vrienden daar. Gerstaecker Nederland (150 Euro) was al goedkoper dan BelgiŽ (180 Euro) en er was een kortingsbon van 15 Euro voor een bestelwaarde vanaf 150 Euro, dus dit was het moment om ze te bestellen.

wendyv123
10-23-2018, 03:20 PM
I checked out your work, it is stunning !!!

Amian3d
10-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Thanks Wendy! :clap: