PDA

View Full Version : Warm night of Toronto

Eugene Kabrun
09-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Acrylic & insulation foam on canvas
36x48
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2018/2095985-EEE6F5C3-F105-42C6-A751-7171DF3FE34E.jpeg

AnnieA
09-14-2018, 12:28 AM
Lovely! The colors are perfect for the lights of the city at night. Why/how do you use insulation foam, and is it archival? Nicely painted.

Eugene Kabrun
09-14-2018, 12:59 AM
Lovely! The colors are perfect for the lights of the city at night. Why/how do you use insulation foam, and is it archival? Nicely painted.
Thanks for the comment. My English is not perfect, and I did not understand the question about the archive.
To use foam in this way is my idea, and now I'm trying to patent it. It's very difficult to work with foam. For the first time I used foam for aquarium design 20 years ago. A year and a half ago I began to draw, and decided to use foam for the structural of the canvas or the selection of some of the closest details.

KreativeK
10-31-2018, 03:39 PM
That's a beautiful scene, Eugene!

floblue
11-08-2018, 10:40 PM
There is an artist in our guild who also used foam for most of his artwork. He paints on it but then he sculpts it too. They become very three dimensional. Your work is very nice.

Cherylkanuck
11-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Very cool. Drew me in. I love the cool contrast of the buildings against the warm night sky. And it has a very interesting textured feel with the foam.

Eugene Kabrun
11-18-2018, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the comments. Indeed, most of my work is done using foam. So far, few people know about this technique, which I invented quite recently. I just started to present my work at various exhibitions in Winnipeg. Many are very surprised by this unusual technique. This is a combination of bas-relief and classical painting. Some canvases are completely covered with foam, and in some paintings, foam is used only to highlight some details, or in the middle plan. But the foam gives a very large opportunity to structure the image. For myself, I called this technique "New Realism"....
Working with foam is very difficult. It dries almost instantly, and you need to carefully think through the composition before you start to do something. This is a very unstable material. If you make a mistake, you need to tear off or cut off the excess, process it with emery paper ... Sometimes you need to cover it with foam in several layers to achieve the desired effect. I worked with foam for many years when I was designing aquariums. Then I got the idea to use foam for painting.

theBongolian
11-18-2018, 03:14 PM
how did you use foam for aquarium design - was it for faux rocks, castles etc. to go inside the aquariums?

Do you have photos illustrating your process?

Eugene Kabrun
11-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately, I was engaged in aquariums 12 years ago, and then did not photograph anything. Foam quickly collapses in the water, so I figured out how to do it differently. I made rocks and hung on the wall behind the aquarium on a dark blue splash screen. The aquarium moved a little away from the wall. Above the cliffs and grottoes of foam, I installed a small lamp. And the lamp created the illusion of the light of the sun breaking through the water. These grottoes and rocks can be changed in shape and size.

Eugene Kabrun
11-19-2018, 08:15 PM
There is an artist in our guild who also used foam for most of his artwork. He paints on it but then he sculpts it too. They become very three dimensional. Your work is very nice.
Interesting. Is there any way I can see some of their art?
I was sure I was the only one who used insulation foam, as I've been doing so for 20 years.

floblue
11-25-2018, 08:00 PM
I will ask if itís okay to show you some of his art. It is really cool. He makes flowers and people with it.

Eugene Kabrun
11-27-2018, 03:38 AM
I will ask if itís okay to show you some of his art. It is really cool. He makes flowers and people with it.
Thanks!