PDA

View Full Version : cottage

webLes
09-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Just finished a sketch made with 2 Micron pens size1 and .05.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2018/863132-cottage2.jpeg

It was done on HP watercolour paper . As I get older my hand is not as steady as it once was , but I try to keep my hand in, you know the saying "Use it or lose it "

Comments welcome

Les

Yorky
09-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Super sketch Les.

Doug

laika
09-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Very nice! It looks very homey.

I don't see evidence of an unsteady hand, and there's plenty of fine detail in your drawing. But by all means, use it, use it, use it, so you'll never lose it! My neurologist told me just yesterday that brain plasticity is very real and that drawing and painting are excellent occupations for the aging (and in my case, stroke-addled) brain :)

painterbear
09-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Beautiful drawing of a beautiful home, Les. It would be right at home in our little city where so many of the homes here were built in that style...including my own. :D

Sylvia

New Gamboge
09-13-2018, 02:45 PM
Beautifully done, Les. Wish my hand was that steady! Betty

Charlie's Mum
09-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Pretty little cottage ... nice drawing Les .... and a reduction in our motor skills as we age is so very frustrating ... I know!!!

Scene Chaser
09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
I think this looks great, Les. Keep on drawing.
Bill

pedlars pen
09-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Nicely done Les,maybe a few darker/heavier tones would have really made this sing.
I'm only talking about 5 minutes work at most, still using the same well chosen pen sizes.

Everyone - PLEASE consider at least that all this this motor skills & steadiness talk may well be misplaced !
If art is all about making a craft statement then you are indeed sunk !
But if you believe art is about making work that communicates with others using subtle & appealing devices such as suggestion & cutting out the superfluous embroidery of show off egocentric ie. craft, then in restricting yourself to the brief essential stimulants to the imagination might you not improve your artistic expression rather than limit it ?
I propose that you boldly adapt & embrace the wisdom of aging artistically speaking,at least.
Mike

CharM
09-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Mike, discussing the challenges of impugned motor skills, eyesight and/or health issues of any kind is absolutely what should be talked about. It offers positive examples to everyone who may be facing these very problems. Furthermore, craft can indeed be considered artful.

Les, your beautiful painting is proof of managing to adapt to your changing physical abilities and I admire what you've done. It's definitely art! I love that big tree on the extreme right that seems to almost embrace the home!

LynnM
09-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Beautifully done Les!

Charlie's Mum
09-14-2018, 08:42 AM
This YouTube video is worth listening too - Phil Hansen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrZTho_o_is).

We all have limitations - we just work with them!

webLes
09-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Thank you for all the comments folks . They give one encouragement

Les

laudesan
09-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Lovely sketch Les. I have a friend who deliberately draws with a shakey line, and it look fabulous!

laika
09-15-2018, 12:14 AM
This YouTube video is worth listening too - Phil Hansen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrZTho_o_is).

We all have limitations - we just work with them!

Oh, my gosh, Maureen, that is such an inspiring video! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Watercolour lover
09-16-2018, 01:45 PM
As a grand old man of 92, I know what you mean Les. I'm lucky in that my hand is still pretty steady but for close-up detail work, I need lots of light plus my portable studio magnifying glass with its surrounding light. I'm finding my choice of subject matter changes to match my ageing system and plein air is simply beyond me now. Your cottage is nicely done, and maybe you feel as I do, that small pen and ink projects are less stressful than large acrylics or watercolour. Pen and ink is unforgiving of course; not much room for modifying after the nib hits the paper. Here's to many more years of projects Les.
John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2018/87783-Bar3.jpg
www.watercoloursforfun.com

Boafamily
09-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Les it looks wonderful and the hand is doing just fine my friend.