PDA

View Full Version : Silver Dollar club

skipstah70
08-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Hi There. I just fired up a new painting that is an homage to a Toronto night club around the corner from me that recently closed. This Silver Dollar was a bit of a landmark on the Toronto night club scene with a ton of blues music history. This painting is 24"x24" and blocked in acrylic. I'm now hitting it with the first oil pass. I'm still a little undecided about the figure arrangment. I think I'll play with that more with that as I go along. I'd like to get that crazy night life lighting and feel to this (hopefully).

Any C&C most welcome.

Thanks for lookin' MIke. :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2018/69629-20180831_173952_lo.jpg

skipstah70
09-01-2018, 02:37 AM
A bit more progress and a better pic with different camera. :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2018/69629-Silver_Dollar_05_lo_lo.jpg

Jon
09-01-2018, 11:47 AM
I like this!

KreativeK
09-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Mike, you definitely have the mood and spirit of the place down perfectly. Without ever having been there I can imagine its history and charm. Love the single man standing outside that the viewer can make up their own story.

skipstah70
09-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I like this!

cheers Jon!

Mike, you definitely have the mood and spirit of the place down perfectly. Without ever having been there I can imagine its history and charm. Love the single man standing outside that the viewer can make up their own story.

Thanks Kay. This place had quite a cool look at night. I hope my grungy style captures it. I'm still undecided if I'll add another figure, it kind of does say something with just one figure standing there... kind of desolate. The photo ref had quite a few peeps in it, but it really says something different when you add a crowd. Maybe one more figure this guy is talking to would make sense.Thanks for the reaction.

MIke

skipstah70
09-03-2018, 08:41 PM
A bit more progress from today. A few of the street lines need perspective correction, but other than that, I think I'm good with the colour scheme etc. Just have to render it out. Everything getting a little flat.. I'll have to hit the whole thing with a thin layer of galkyd lite tommow to bring up the dark areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2018/69629-Silver_Dollar_06_lo_lo.jpg

floblue
09-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Nice. Iíve never used alkyd lite. What does it do and what do you use it for?

skipstah70
09-07-2018, 08:32 PM
Nice. Iíve never used alkyd lite. What does it do and what do you use it for?

Thnx Flo. Galkyd and Galkyd lite are alkyd resins made by Gamblin. They speed up the drying time of oils and help keep the sheen of the darker values when they dry. Great stuff!

AnnieA
09-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Very nice! I love the color scheme and composition and the brushwork enhances the old grungy feel of the place. It's so sad that these old iconic music clubs are disappearing so quickly, along with so much of our historic built environment.