PDA

View Full Version : Sun Giving Birth to Moon, crow quill/ink (Update/completion @ post #7)

garygackstatter
08-30-2018, 06:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2018/2013362-sun:moon_progress.jpg
Sun Giving Birth to Moon, crow quill pen and ink, in progrress

indraneel
08-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Looks just like a photograph! The rock shadows and painting looks very real!

Is this from imagination, or does the reference have a history and location?

jtomasella
08-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Amazing work as always. It looks like a google earth photo.

laika
08-31-2018, 08:28 AM
Once again, hauntingly good! Looking forward to more.

garygackstatter
09-02-2018, 07:05 AM
Thank you, all.
Answers:
This progress drawing shows my method. First, I draw a grid on an enlarged photo, then transfer the grid onto Bristol paper.
I'm never drawing anything bigger than one square inch. Using the smallest crowquill nibs, i start layering the tiny lines to achieve the detail of each square. It's just a way to honor the subject matter as if doing a portrait.
I've been studying the Pueblo tribes of the American Southwest. Recently, i visited the Wells Petroglyph Preserve near Taos, NM, and got some great photos to draw (also check out Snake Dancer on this site).
Knowing that these images they painstakingly carved are filled with symbolism and spiritual meaning, i am trying to capture that feeling as i draw.
For more of my artwork, please go to garygackstatter.com
Thank you again for your comments!

Boafamily
09-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Nice progress.

garygackstatter
09-08-2018, 08:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2018/2013362-sun_moon_drawing.jpg
New Drawing, crow quill pen and ink
Sun Giving Birth To Moon
Wells Petroglyph Preserve, NM

Right place, right time.
In drawing these petroglyphs, I have had the opportunity to closely study every aspect of the Master Artists who created them.
Using stone tools, they utilized the color and contours of the stone, incorporating cracks in the rock as well as shadows created by the position of the sun at specific times of the year.
I just happened to be there at this precise moment.
There are no accidents, no coincidences...

indraneel
09-09-2018, 02:00 AM
A remarkable piece! I cannot comment on the original, having never seen it, but it is possible that your drawing shows it off better than ordinary photos could.

Charlie's Mum
09-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Superb pen work Gary.

Joel L
09-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the 'behind the scenes' take! Helps to see where the strength comes from!!