PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

mbankhead
08-20-2018, 04:22 PM
So I just finished this Eagle and no matter how much I stare at it I'm just not sold on it. I think it turned out just fine for the method and medium that I chose, I just think it needs something else. I want to do a water color wash on it to make it pop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2018/1975842-Bald_Eagle_v0.1.jpg

what do you all think?
Image is 6"X6" 005 micron pen with brush pen BG. it's on 100lb. Canson Smooth paper.

It seems I little close up in this pic.

C&C would be very much appreciated... have at it please. :) :)

toowoomba sketcher
08-20-2018, 10:50 PM
High quality work and linework and the gaze of the eagle is commanding, very successful piece.

You could use a coloured wash and that would work but the black ink marks will get lost or at the very least muted, speaking from experience this is a certainty.

In my opinion you need to adress something else first. The head of the bird and all the white parts are popping out of the pages, there is some disconnection with the bottom feathers and the darker area below. There are no mid tones and the contrast between dark and light areas is too much.

Depending on how you want the light to play I suggest some mid tones, definately at the bottom of the lighter feathers and even some darker areas amongst the lighter areas away from the light source. Break the rules even, this is art.

All the above advice is in good faith and with the best intentions :)

indraneel
08-20-2018, 11:32 PM
The eagle is excellent! The background has become too dark. If you're not scared of ruining the piece, I would suggest more contrast for the eagle head, to offset the darker body and background. I doubt a watercolor wash will look good on this, as it will reduce contrast even more.

mbankhead
08-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Thank you for the feed back, I can see where all of this will work. I may end up relegating this one to the archive. I'm learning every time I put pen on paper so mistakes are always an option. Mike,( Peddlerspen) and everyone, thank you for the in-put I really do appreciate it. This is what keeps me coming back to this Forum. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jtomasella
08-21-2018, 03:12 PM
I really like this piece. I think stippling is one of my favorite shading techniques for pen and ink. I love all the constructive criticism on this forum. It only helps to make the artist better. Forums can get pretty mean but being art I think keeps this one civil.

Watercolour lover
08-24-2018, 01:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I think this is excellent, but a little more contrast everywhere would help make this pop out. I assume your original paper was white, and your piece was too big to scan into your computer, so the colour was changed when you photographed this for us? Iíve taken the liberty of scene grabbing this and removing the ďcolourĒ and boosting the contrast a bit. Only an indication I admit, but if you were to go back in and re-work your beautiful stippling, I think it would pop out nicely. I think your signature block is quite intrusive too. With a solid black background, the stark white detracts from your project. I would definitely recommend against tinkering with watercolour (and Iím a watercolour enthusiast!) as this is a nearly perfect example of pen and ink technique. Mat and frame it. Donít hide it under the bed!
John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2018/87783-eagle_edited-2.jpg

indraneel
08-26-2018, 03:11 AM
That sure looks good! I agree, get rid of the body, make the background all black, make the contrast on the head (particularly beak and eyes) much stronger (so it pops forward). Sign it in white on black background, matt and frame it.

KareBear94
09-01-2018, 06:49 AM
Like this, stronger contrasts will make it better, overall great P&I work!
Stippling is very time consuming, but makes for excellent work

Boafamily
09-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Powerful image

Charlie's Mum
09-09-2018, 11:16 AM
I agree with the others Mark - the drawing is fine, it's the tonal balance and distribution that needs work!:)

Joel L
09-09-2018, 10:07 PM
I agree with the others as well. The eyes and beak are very powerful indeed!! Beautiful!