PDA

View Full Version : D. Paramore, my dad

AGArt
08-18-2018, 06:16 PM
My father, WC member dougmaryp, passed away on Thursday, August 16. He was not active in the forums but he learned a lot from the wonderful artists here. You see, Daddy had been a photographer by hobby and trade for most of his life. At the age of 72, he had to have his left arm amputated after years of fighting a cancerous bone tumor. He could no longer carry his equipment around and was a bit lost without his favorite outlets of photography and also of playing the fiddle.

So he taught himself to paint. His favorite medium was acrylics, and he spent a lot of time reading the forums here, watching recommended videos, and following the advice of all of you. Typing on the computer was frustrating for him, a former journalist, with only one hand, and he rarely interected on here. But I wanted you to know that WC was there for my dad when he was forced to take up a new hobby in his 70s, and he painted until a couple of months ago at the age of 80. My mother's walls in their home are filled with his paintings, and she and my siblings and I will treasure them along with our memories.

Thank you to everyone at WC for teaching an old dog new tricks that made him happy until the end.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2018/2014330-20180816_113424-640x480.jpg

LoganArt
08-18-2018, 07:03 PM
What a beautiful homage to your dad. I am glad he found joy on WC and was able to pick up a new hobby. As a fellow fiddler it is hard to put down your fiddle.

Yorky
08-19-2018, 01:08 AM
How lovely that your father was able to turn to painting despite his physical trauma.

Condolences on your loss.

Doug

cliftonprince
08-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Oh my friend, deepest condolences for your loss.

vmrs
08-19-2018, 08:20 PM
What a beautifully worded homage. I'm so sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences to your family and friends.

KreativeK
08-20-2018, 09:49 AM
April, so sorry for your loss, and happy to see his artistic spirit endured despite a physical handicap. Such an inspiration to us all. His work is beautiful.

AGArt
08-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Thank you, all, for the condolences. He will be greatly missed, but I am glad my mother, siblings, and I have his paintings and photographs to cnerish.

Sarah Rose
08-22-2018, 06:59 PM
That is a wonderful story. I truly believe art makes life bearable, especially during times of difficulty. My father was not an artist, but he passed away on August 7th at 79, so I know what you are going through because I am going through it too. Thank you for coming here and sharing this about him!

AGArt
08-26-2018, 12:46 AM
That is a wonderful story. I truly believe art makes life bearable, especially during times of difficulty. My father was not an artist, but he passed away on August 7th at 79, so I know what you are going through because I am going through it too. Thank you for coming here and sharing this about him!

I'm sorry for your loss, as well. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

PaintBoss
08-27-2018, 10:39 PM
My sincere condolences to you and your family April. ((HUGS))
So glad your father was able to find another artistic challenge, and get so much pleasure from it.🙂
How wonderful to have his paintings to remember him by.