PDA

View Full Version : Steinmeier 1854-1857 Plein Air Sketch

Herb
08-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Hi, all. Inked my pen again after a few months working with oil pastel. Spent an enjoyable hour on this plein air sketch. Should have made more use of the soft nib: the line quality is monotonous, I think. Still, I was making marks, which canít be all bad. Ha!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2018/71766-03FEFC4A-7C6B-4A25-8111-DA5FCA79D491.jpeg

pedlars pen
08-12-2018, 05:32 AM
Nice Herb, I don't find the line quality "monotonous" at all, I think in using the short ,varied & lively strokes judiciously as you have, it is a sensitive & lively line.
Now you've put that carbon black in you'll have to draw every day so it doesn't clog that expensive pen up ! I look forward to seeing the results.
Mike

Charlie's Mum
08-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Nothing monotonous at all, about any of this!
It's a very nice drawing ftom life with a pleasing composition.
I like the variation of emphasis from the light entry bottom right to the centre of activity.
Keep drawing!:)

Joel L
08-12-2018, 10:49 PM
I agree! Nothing monotonous to me! I love the variety of tone! Actually I like it all.

laika
08-13-2018, 02:20 AM
Nice, Herb! I've admired your stuff over at the OP Studio forum. Handy with OPs, handy with the pen, too :) Yeah, this is a very nice drawing and I agree that there's not a problem with monotony. I hope to see more of your pen work.

I'm very curious about the ink you're using. I wish one of the stores had a tiny sampler bottle or a cartridge for my Platinum Preppy.

Herb
08-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone. I appreciate it!

Hey, Lamar. Have you looked at www.jetpens.com? I bought the 60 ml bottle of Platinum Carbon Black but I believe they sell four-packs of cartridges as well. I don't know if the cartridges will fit your pen, but the folks there are very helpful and I'm sure they could help you figure it out.

laika
08-15-2018, 11:11 PM
Hey, Lamar. Have you looked at www.jetpens.com? I bought the 60 ml bottle of Platinum Carbon Black but I believe they sell four-packs of cartridges as well.

Thanks f9r the tip, Herb! According to reviews, the cartridges will fit the inexpensive but amazing Platinum Preppy.