PDA

View Full Version : Iguana using WC Photo Reference

CIvA45
08-08-2018, 08:02 PM
I had asked my boyfriend yesterday what his suggestion for a drawing, seemingly random response was "iguana"...so I checked out the photo reference page on WC and found a nice shot (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=175291) by Theodorablau that I really like. He has an interesting glare and also wasn't the "whole" iggy so I knew I would be happy doing a version of it.

I used a 03 and 005 micron...and just had a good time! Really enjoying attempting new ways and subjects. I'm kinda want to do a wash of light blue water color (as I drew on a mixed media paper) butttt I'm not sure yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2018/2085890-IMG_20180808_172017.jpg

Charlie's Mum
08-09-2018, 07:00 AM
What a beautiful drawing CI - very creful work, well organised scales and nicely drawn leaves, good 'difference' in treatment.

If you want to add colour, I'd suggest one of the following first -

use an image programme to add a wash where you want it, see what you think -
OR-
Print a b'w version and add the colour to that - then you'll know before touching the original!:)

CIvA45
08-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Thank you <3 and I appreciate the advice! I've decided to keep this one B&W and when I have an opportunity have print made on watercolor grade paper so I can add some colors to it :)

laika
08-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Oh, that's one fine-looking iguana! Very nice work.

I like Maaureen's idea about trying some digital coloring. If you're at familiar with that kind of thing, it would fun to scan it into the computer and maybe play around with some transparent layering in different areas.

CIvA45
08-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Any suggestions for a program? (free? XD )

laika
08-13-2018, 02:00 AM

I use the Gimp, which is free. I've played with it for years, but a lot of people say there's a steep learning curve to it. I also have Autodesk Sketchbook on my phone (Android), which I found easy to use. Can't remember if it's free, but if not, it's not expensive. Sketchbook would probably be a lot of on a tablet.

artnlife
08-17-2018, 02:12 AM
Wow CIvA45, looking very nice and detailed :thumbsup:
Would have loved to see it up close, have you used pointillism or scribbling technique for shaded areas ??

CIvA45
08-17-2018, 01:38 PM
I just the other day realized I have access to a scanner XD So I can stop attempting to take photos with the low quality camera phone XD

I have tried some pointillism, but honestly don't know quite how to skillfully go about it... and scribbles I've only really used for background leaves n such...Seems silly, I feel more "in control" with lines...but really it doesn't always look best. like the chin area.

Here's a scan of it :) Thank you for your kind words.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2018/2085890-Iggy.jpeg

jtomasella
08-17-2018, 02:17 PM

I like Krita for free digital drawing. I just got a tablet to try out the digital world of art and the program is relatively easy to use. WAY easier than Gimp. Lots of video tutorials too.

CIvA45
08-17-2018, 03:30 PM

KareBear94
09-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Your iguana is really nice. Lots of patience with those scales :thumbsup:

Boafamily
09-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Nice lizard.

Kemical Reaxion
09-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Very nice iguana! The amount of detail is incredible. All those tiny scales!

I use the Gimp, which is free. I've played with it for years, but a lot of people say there's a steep learning curve to it. I also have Autodesk Sketchbook on my phone (Android), which I found easy to use. Can't remember if it's free, but if not, it's not expensive. Sketchbook would probably be a lot of on a tablet.

I use Autodesk Sketchbook on my Android tablet. At first, the free version only gave you the basic features, but recently they changed it so that the full version is now completely free. I've found it very easy to use, as I'm new to doing digital art on the tablet and have been trying to learn. (I had previously been using an extremely old version of Photoshop on my PC, with a mouse....not easy at all! I wouldn't recommend it. :) )

pedlars pen
09-19-2018, 06:14 PM
If you've got a tablet,the programs are so cheap that you haven't really got a problem.
Even if you don't want to spend one penny still, there are some decent options.
The one essential minimum requirement for a digital program would be that it had "layers"in it.
If you are not familiar with digital work I would suggest "Artrage" as it is user friendly & akin to using real paint in it's usage & results but you will have to pay 5 though.