PDA

View Full Version : Best tripod for a Sienna Pochade box

Moises Menendez
07-11-2018, 09:48 AM
I am planning to use my unused Sienna Pochade medium box soon. Although I have several tripods handy I would like to purchase one with the ball head but I am not sure what kind. So I wonder if someone with experience could tell me what would be the best tripod for the price. The Sienna tripod which is sold with the Sienna box is rather expensive and one of the reviews stated that it was too pricy.

stapeliad
07-11-2018, 03:52 PM
This is an awesome tripod that should suit your plein air needs:

https://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531335443&sr=8-3&keywords=dolica+tripod

Moises Menendez
07-11-2018, 10:34 PM
Thank you for the information.
If I get this tripod, and then get the Sienna supply box that is attached to the legs of the Sienna tripod, would I be able to attach this box?

bartc
08-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the information.
If I get this tripod, and then get the Sienna supply box that is attached to the legs of the Sienna tripod, would I be able to attach this box?
Probably. The answer is that your tripod legs would need to be far enough apart. If you're sitting down that might make the point of attachment too low (I'm guessing), but if you're standing it's highly likely that will work.

Here's the catch: The weight and torque on the tripod head. I wrote you the same on another board here.

I have a version of this Dolica and the tripod itself is quite good, especially for the price. I sit to paint, so if you stand, you'd have to judge how a higher stance would work. But if you get a tall and sturdy enough Dolica, it should work fine for leg stability.

My issue was with the pan/tilt head, which I prefer over the ball head. It simply wasn't made for the weight and torque on the pochade. This is a camera tripod for much lower weight and you are likely to find the same with the ball heads on camera tripods.

Fortunately, my Dolica was designed to replace the head and I found a great truly heavy duty pan/tilt head that fit also inexpensively on Amazon. The combo is perfect for my needs. YMMV

Moises Menendez
08-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Thank you Bart. Yes, it is important to assess the weight of the Pochade box and its contents, so it has to be a tripod that could stand the heavy load of the box.