PDA

View Full Version : Any tutorials on drawing Comics?

Provis
05-09-2000, 10:49 AM
Hi! Is there a tutorial that teaches the bascis of drawing comics? I remembered there was a sister site somewhere but I've lost the URL.

THanks

MichaelRH
05-09-2000, 11:58 AM
Hello Provis..keep an eye on the Drawing Forum, there may be some helpful hints there from time to time.
Many good books on the market that deal with this area. Tutorials on line that discuss this area..I'm sorry, I've not seen any that I can send you to.
There is a post in the Drawing Forum from a member who wanted information on how to make his figures less "stiff". I found it very helpful just to copy the work of comic artists whose style I really liked. It was good practice.

sgtaylor
05-09-2000, 02:16 PM
I'm afraid I don't know of any web sites either. I have a number of good books on the subject. I will post titles and authors later tonight, when I get back to the studio.

MichaelRH can give you far better advice on drawing than I can - try to post some of your work on the drawing forum for his critique.

If you are looking for specific information on preparing comic book art (format, inking, coloring, submitting, etc.) just leave your questions here. I have done some of this work in the past and can give you the nickel tour.

Good luck, and have fun.

LarrySeiler
05-10-2000, 10:26 AM
If we could get my son in Chicago to join our Wetcanvas group here, sure he would be a welcome addition! He has a two page comic strip in an international magazine published down there bi-monthly. Also a member of a national caricature network organization. Hey...his name is Jason Seiler, look up his name at the National Caracature network, and email him telling him his dad said he should come and do a lesson sometime at Wetcanvas! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

here's that url- http://www.caricature.org/

Larry

------------------
"Art attacks can skill!"

sgtaylor
06-01-2000, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by sgtaylor:
I have a number of good books on the subject. I will post titles and authors later tonight, when I get back to the studio.

Yeah, yeah. Promises, promises. Has anybody noticed that this sgtaylor guy's all talk?

I just found a good one...

How to Draw Comic Book Heroes and Villans by Christopher Hart. Probably the best one I've seen on comic book figure drawing.

Another good one is How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way edited by Stan Lee. Not as good as the Hart one though.

If there is a comics shop near you, look for the Marvel Try-Out Book. There are actually two of them. The first one was put out years ago as a contest, and the contest is over. If you can find the old one, it's very good. The new one is on-going and for anyone wanting to make submissions to Marvel Comics. I don't think it is as good as the older one, but it does address some new issues. Coloring is now mostly done with computers - no information in the old try-out book on this.

I hope you're still out there, and that this is of some help.

(I'll probably be late for my own funeral...)

[This message has been edited by sgtaylor (edited June 01, 2000).]

Rod
06-03-2000, 03:47 AM
Could you give the exact title Sandi, would like to see if available in New Zealand,
Rod

Rod
06-03-2000, 03:49 PM
Wow, cool,
That will keep me busy for quite a while,
Thanks for the url's
Rod http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/cool.gif