PDA

View Full Version : Life begins at 60, near enough

Mikey
11-09-2003, 10:26 PM
It happens to nearly all of us at some point in our lives: the passing of our nearest and dearest, divorce, unemployment, financial ruin and many other things. We have a period of bereavement when life comes to a standstill, a time when we too often become isolated, and if others come to help they will do so by weeping with us.

Yet we know that time is the great healer, we accept the situation and eventually find ourselves ready to start our lives again. So often at this point there does not seem to be any way forward, especially after a certain age. We may not have money, and even if we do know that it can all too easily get blown away by the wind.

This is the time to find a restoration in the power of dreams, those desires, which need to be fulfilled. We can all fantasise, possibly about unrealistic things. It might be as well to realise there is a price to be paid for dreams, which come true. Yet this is the time when dreams become possibilities. When the dream becomes real to us, we begin to believe it will happen, and things conspire to make it so. Events begin working in our lives so that openings occur. Letís not allow them to pass us bye.

So what do you think? How many can tell us they hit rock bottom, but had a dream so powerful in their mind it came to pass?

JoyJoyJoy
11-10-2003, 09:17 AM
I began painting at age 5 and I have always wanted to paint full-time. But, as my life unfolded, so many things got in the way... such as having to make a living! (I have spent half my adult life single and self-supporting.) I thought that dream of painting full-time would never happen... or possibly when I retired at age 72 or so. However, a blessing entered my life, disguised as a crisis.

At age 36, I began having serious health problems. Six years later, I almost died as a result of these problems. That, in a nutshell, was my "rock bottom".... alone, with no supportive people around me, lost for years in an inadequate health system, living in some kind of black pit that was eventually diagnosed as a complex group of diagnoses... including bipolar (manic-depression), major depression, panic disorder, and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I am now 50, and each day is a trial of balancing my moods, fatique, stress, and sedative medications. I am unable to hold down even a part-time job.

Now, I have the time to paint whenever I want. I have a home studio that I wander into every day, with a canvas always on the easel. I have paints and brushes and books, and no responsibilities to bend my time around. And, I have been also blessed by a wonderful husband of two years, who understands both my health issues and my artistic passion.

So, now I have my dream. I believe that dreams have great power... they do transcend even life events that are beyond our worst nightmare. And, when we do have even the smallest amount of belief, or take the tiniest step towards that dream, so many things come into our lives to help us acheive the dream. The Chinese character for "crisis" means both "danger" and "opportunity." Sometimes we need a great, overwhelming crisis to stretch us... to push us more towards what we were meant to be and to point us towards our dreams.

Nance

pampe
11-10-2003, 10:53 AM
yes

been there

and the resulting consciousness and awareness have changed my life

and now I am an artist

Lorijo
11-10-2003, 02:33 PM
I have worked on some sort of art all my life, jumping from one type to another, batiking, various types of painting, pastels, wood carving etc.

Some of my close relatives passed away, I got hit with a autoimmune combination of diseases. Interstitial Pulmonary Fibrosis, Rhuematoid Arthritis and Lupus. The doctors said usual life span is 2 to 5 years. This was 11 years ago:D, I fooled them!
I was a wreck for almost a year, lost 45 pounds, joints swollen, large lumps and bumps here and there (nodules from the RA), fevers every day, red rash from the lupus. Slept almost all the time, all the above diseases give unreal fatigue. Could hardly get up, needed help with dressing and baths. Total wreck.

Finally found a doctor who knew what he was doing, and other than getting fat from medications I am doing pretty well.

I did decide to stick to one thing though, painting. This has helped me improve more than jumping around from one thing to another. Plus its something I enjoy, I am glad to be here, life is short and we need to do things for us that are fun. Now I am selling my art, which was one of my dreams. I also am happy with how more of my paintings turn out, I still have flops but I am improving which is nice. Lorijo

Mikey
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
After the 2nd World War life wasnít easy in England, but special memories still survive. Every year Iíd be taken to the pantomine. The magic of the stage scenery and larger than life charismatic characters encouraged my desire to escape boring suburbia for a world of my imagination. My ambition was to be a scenery painter. Later, my parents took me The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square, where I saw students copying the great masters. What I saw of those exquisite paintings, together with the smell of turps and linseed oil gave me to next lasting impression. The one thing I desired was to be an artist of some kind. Tom Eckersley the commercial artist was my Hero. Looking at some of his work, I can see just how much my youthful impressions have affected me. When I passed the 13 plus exam for better schooling my parents wouldnít allow me to go to an art school, so I ended up in engineering.

Every so often the question of being an artists would arise, but it seemed to me that it would never be possible to make a living from it. Everybody I knew thought the idea most unwise. So, I compromised and went into the photographic trade. Yet throughout my life there always seemed to be things getting in the way of success. I worked hard, yet there was always something going wrong. I had my dreams and have had some measure of success. My repeated failures and limited successes were hard to understand, what was wrong.

It is only now that I understand. Circumstances were not conspiring against me; they were trying to make me see the way I should go in life. The dream planted within me, as a child was so strong that anything else getting in its way was doomed to failure. It is regrettable; maybe I would have been a better artist, who can say. Now I am putting the past where it belongs and moving into the wealth of my childhood dream. Whatís going to happen now? We shall see. I have a dream and Iíve learnt that nothing, absolutely nothing is going to get in its way.

Mikey

Borum
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
And yet the compensations of calamity are made apparent to the understanding also, after long intervals of time. A fever, a mutilation, a cruel disappointment, a loss of wealth, a loss of friends, seems at the moment unpaid loss, and unpayable. But the sure years reveal the deep remedial force that underlies all facts. The death of a dear friend, wife, brother, lover, which seemed nothing but privation, somewhat later assumes the aspect of a guide or genius; for it commonly operates revolutions in our way of life, terminates an epoch of infancy or of youth which was waiting to be closed, breaks up a wonted occupation, or a household, or style of living, and allows the formation of new ones more friendly to the growth of character. It permits or constrains the formation of new acquaintances, and the reception of new influences that prove of the first importance to the next years; and the man or woman who would have remained a sunny garden-flower, with no room for its roots and too much sunshine for its head, by the falling of the walls and the neglect of the gardener, is made the banian of the forest, yielding shade and fruit to wide neighbourhoods of men. R.W.Emerson

Good Luck....

pampe
11-11-2003, 08:49 PM
what a wonderful statement

amen

ArtistOz
11-11-2003, 09:21 PM
I am still on that downhill spiral so haven't hit rock bottom yet must be close to it by now I do hope so. In the midst of my own difficulties I have taken on the challenge of figure drawing.

Mikey
11-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ArtistOz
I am still on that downhill spiral so haven't hit rock bottom yet must be close to it by now I do hope so. In the midst of my own difficulties I have taken on the challenge of figure drawing.

Oz, I'll keep you in mind.

Mikey

Lorijo
11-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Bill, your work is beautiful, I looked at your web site. I see no downward spiral there! And your figure drawing is lovely too. Lorijo

ArtistOz
11-12-2003, 04:24 AM
Thanks Mikey, Lorijo, I can relate to your health struggles, you weild a mean palatte knife yourself, there is something about making art that has its rewards.

Borum
11-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ArtistOz
Thanks Mikey, Lorijo, I can relate to your health struggles, you weild a mean palatte knife yourself, there is something about making art that has its rewards.

I believe that one of the rewards is the ability to loose yourself into the creative process, creating something that has never been seen before. You sit before the cavans, you are the master and for one brief moment you are intuned with Creator. Nothing else matters....

Mikey
11-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Borum

I believe that one of the rewards is the ability to loose yourself into the creative process, creating something that has never been seen before. You sit before the cavans, you are the master and for one brief moment you are intuned with Creator. Nothing else matters....

So very often we will be forced into a place where we have to say that nothing else matters, because it is the only way forward. To do otherwise will cause us to worry and weaken the dream and our faith. It does take tremendous courage and fortitude when it seems we will lose everything, house, family and everything we ever worked for. But I would have been lost without faith, without the presence of the Creator giving peace.

Mikey

Borum
11-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Mikey

So very often we will be forced into a place where we have to say that nothing else matters, because it is the only way forward. To do otherwise will cause us to worry and weaken the dream and our faith. It does take tremendous courage and fortitude when it seems we will lose everything, house, family and everything we ever worked for. But I would have been lost without faith, without the presence of the Creator giving peace.

Mikey

IMO my house, family and everything is all ready lost to me, they can be taken from me at any moment. With this in mind, each moment and second that I have with them is more precious than the greatest treasures in this world. Mickey the peace is yours.

Mikey
11-12-2003, 10:17 AM

IMO my house, family and everything is all ready lost to me, they can be taken from me at any moment. With this in mind, each moment and second that I have with them is more precious than the greatest treasures in this world. Mickey the peace is yours.

Borum,

I had to lose everything, so I could lose the fear. Here it's a case of the greater the loss, the greater the gain.

Mikey

Borum
11-12-2003, 10:22 AM

Borum,

I had to lose everything, so I could lose the fear. Here it's a case of the greater the loss, the greater the gain.

Mikey

What do you fear now?

Mikey
11-12-2003, 10:45 AM

What do you fear now?

I fear the greatest loss of all, something I never could even contemplate in my younger days. It is a thing I am coming through at this time. I fear falling to temptation so as to lose my spiritual estate.

In this way I hope to find a far greater security.
And Borum, you didn't answer my question on the other thread. Did you think it was a risble observation?

Mikey

Borum
11-12-2003, 12:01 PM

I fear the greatest loss of all, something I never could even contemplate in my younger days. It is a thing I am coming through at this time. I fear falling to temptation so as to lose my spiritual estate.

In this way I hope to find a far greater security.
And Borum, you didn't answer my question on the other thread. Did you think it was a risble observation?

Mikey

Sorry Mikey, what question was that?

Mikey
11-12-2003, 12:09 PM

Borum,

It struck me that the doodle was a kind of model for something. I asked what you thought that might be.

Mikey

Mikey
11-12-2003, 12:16 PM

Borum,

It struck me that the doodle was a kind of model for something. I asked what you thought that might be, if anything.

Mikey

Borum
11-12-2003, 12:22 PM

Borum,

It struck me that the doodle was a kind of model for something. I asked what you thought that might be, if anything.

Mikey

I am sorry which doodle, or is it the painting you did? Have been up with the babies for last couple of nights.

Mikey
11-12-2003, 12:29 PM

I am sorry which doodle, or is it the painting you did? Have been up with the babies for last couple of nights.

Who are you kidding
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1729672#post1729672

You mean it was the 16 month old daughter.

Mikey:cool:

Borum
11-12-2003, 01:33 PM

Who are you kidding
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1729672#post1729672

You mean it was the 16 month old daughter.

Mikey:cool:

Yes it was and I was just trying to be funny:p Oh and here is her picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/7613-Via.jpg

her name is Via ManHwa. Her middle name was my mother's and is Korean for a "million flowers." The first name "Via" means pass through. Therefore her name means pass through a million flowers.

Mikey
11-12-2003, 01:38 PM
A beautiful, happy child Borum.

About the doodle, it's amazing just how much info comes from the unconscious.

Mikey

Borum
11-12-2003, 01:44 PM
A beautiful, happy child Borum.

About the doodle, it's amazing just how much info comes from the unconscious.

Mikey

Thank you, she is. No it isn't it (info from the unconscious). See I see the mind as being like a "radio" which then tunes itself into the greater conscious. Make sense?

Mikey
11-12-2003, 02:13 PM

Thank you, she is. No it isn't it (info from the unconscious). See I see the mind as being like a "radio" which then tunes itself into the greater conscious. Make sense?

I didn't wish to be so bold as to suggest what you have done. Yet that is the very thing shown in the doodle. For some people the idea has been internalised. I don't now how you would see it.

Mikey

Borum
11-12-2003, 03:08 PM

I didn't wish to be so bold as to suggest what you have done. Yet that is the very thing shown in the doodle. For some people the idea has been internalised. I don't now how you would see it.

Mikey

No I ment it isn't "amazing" I understood what you where saying. Hey have you read John 14 8-10; 16-17; 26:27 and John 8 57-59?

Your own spiritual intuition will bring you to Reality and peace.