PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

francjs
05-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Hello. I am trying to paint some diffuse light, from lamps that shine on the ground. It is a pain. I have tried different approaches, and it is not working... is it the tone, the edges, everything?

Also for the pantings I posted previously on this board, where I had water reflections, getting a suffused image was an absolute pain.

Should I glaze, use some retarder medium? Is this kind of work easier in oils?

I'm thankful for any advice. Below is the original photo, and the painting (in both cases, details). The painting is the one that sucks...

gaykir
05-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Interesting. I was immediately drawn to your painting though I understand you trying for your a more gradual fade of light. I think you might try glazing and/or scumbling.

~JMW~
05-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Look at Jerry Yarnell blending on you tube.. His techniques work for me..
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jerry+Yarnell+blending

*If you can paint in a cool & humid area, blending acrylics is much easier than a hot dry location..

A tip.. thick paint application, work fast while the 2 colors/edges are wet & workable, stop before they get tacky & lift paint up. If that happens let dry, and if it doesn't look right add another layer, the added layers tend to blend easier since the slightly absorbent original surface is covered & sealed better..

~JMW~
05-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Oh and a chisel edge synthetic brush helps for smoother blending too vs a bristle/hog hair etc..
Jerry shows similar types on his website. I just got ones that looked like his..cheaper too..

Artchrispy
05-22-2018, 04:52 PM
I've been having fun with sponges lately and believe you could alternate applications with sponges of the light and dark areas around the highest highlight to get that broken color diffuse quality. In the reference it looks like combinations of low saturation purple and low saturation orange. The sponges can be used to remove paint as well as apply. You can mist the surface to keep it workable. Start with an application of the greyed purple, go over top with the greyed down orange, keep alternating, using the sponge like a stamp , until you arrive at the grainy average of the two. It helps if the paint is a little watery.

The trees in this painting were done with sponges and acylic ink.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446499
See how grainy they look? In another context with the right color, value, and saturation that texture would translate as 'diffuse.' If you just change the colors you can get that grainy floor with the same technique.

francjs
05-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone, several good tips here.

Look at Jerry Yarnell blending on you tube.. His techniques work for me..
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jerry+Yarnell+blending

*If you can paint in a cool & humid area, blending acrylics is much easier than a hot dry location..

A tip.. thick paint application, work fast while the 2 colors/edges are wet & workable, stop before they get tacky & lift paint up. If that happens let dry, and if it doesn't look right add another layer, the added layers tend to blend easier since the slightly absorbent original surface is covered & sealed better..

Ah, didn't know about Jerry, looks like a useful resource. I will try first with the drybrushing he demonstrates, as it looks relatively straightforward.

fedetony
05-23-2018, 05:31 PM
I advice you to make the floor completely flat first with the same color and then use the dry brush technique for the lights.. else there will be borders

ddattler
05-23-2018, 08:59 PM
If the Paint is still workable, I sometimes use a coarse bristle type brush and stipple the edges with the bristle tips, until the colors blend out sufficiently.

francjs
05-24-2018, 03:37 PM
I advice you to make the floor completely flat first with the same color and then use the dry brush technique for the lights.. else there will be borders

I think this seems to be working. I found a video (SchaeferArt) showing drybrushing, will post if and when it's done.