PDA

View Full Version : Sold!!!

E-J
11-09-2003, 06:00 AM
I've got news!! Remember my first portrait?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2003/13865-portrait.jpg

... She's just become my first sale :)

Out of the blue three days ago came a PM from the mother of the little girl whose photo I used as a reference, saying she loved what I'd done and wished to buy my pastel as a christmas present for her own mother!

I'm so fond of this little face ... It's the first time I've parted with a painting for money and I'm surprised by the confused emotions I've had since that message arrived. For me, though, the knowledge that this christmas, she will be on her grandmother's wall (on the other side of the world!) is a really special ending to this painting's story. I've packed her up securely in a 'pastel sandwich' under protective cushion wrap and glassine paper, and will send her out tomorrow.

After a lifetime of knowing I wanted to make art, and eight months after discovering 'my medium' and being transformed into this antisocial person with green gunk under my fingernails and my answerphone permanently on, finally I feel that what I'm doing might mean something outside my own desire to paint. Thanks to all my pastel friends for their encouragement and advice, and thanks especially to Dawn for her time and help :)

blissfullyunaware
11-09-2003, 06:28 AM
E-J Congradulations!! :clap: :clap: That is a beautiful painting and bound to bring much joy to her grandmother!! Anyone can see why her mother wanted to have it... and I know it must be very hard for you to part with it. At least you can let it go knowing it will be loved and treasured!! :D

~~~ Take Care Sharon

Dark_Shades
11-09-2003, 07:03 AM
ABSOLUTELY WELL DONE EJ ........ :clap: :clap: :clap: .... there was no doubt in my mind that this would of Sold!!!, anyone would of been delighted to have owned it...... so its especially nice, that the relatives will have it..... think of all those compliments, that that means - I understand totally lol, how you feel about been attached to something you have created..... daft isnt it lol, we strive to make such works, that they will sell.... only to say wahhhh I dont want to part with it :) .... (you could always make a print).......... well done, and you are going to make alot of People Happy this Christmas ...... just think of all those Faces.... giving and receiving .....

...... this is your first sale........ it definately wont be your last

.... well done, Im really Proud of you :)

lisilk
11-09-2003, 07:06 AM
Well no wonder E-J. She is so beautiful. Everything is in her eyes. I cannot believe that was your first sale ! I have no doubt that many more will follow. You have a real talent for it.

CONGRATULATIONS !

Li

guilliame
11-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Congratulations EJ:clap: :clap: ,they say the first one's the hardest,i wouldn't know:) so make a nice print and let her go,i must have been away and missed this one 1st time around and i can see why it's sold,it's a beautiful painting,well done:clap:

Kathryn Wilson
11-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Congratulations E-J!! My sentiments exactly, but it sure is a good feeling to make someone else happy!

I think the mixed feelings come because it was your first portrait, you poured your heart and soul into it, and it identified you as a bona fide portraitist and artist.

Now go forth and produce more!! LOL

meowmeow
11-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Congratulations! That is wonderfully exciting...and I know exactly how you feel! But it sounds like it is going to a good home.
I'm not surprised at all that this one sold!

Sandy

Rosic
11-09-2003, 09:35 AM
E_J...
This is my first time seeing your portrait and I can see why it would sale... even without marketing it. Those eyes!... WOW!
Congrats!... and I can surely understand the mixed emotions.
Rosic

Eugene Veszely
11-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Great work :clap:

Those eyes are great....her left eye looks very familiar :) ;)

CBruce
11-09-2003, 10:42 AM
E-J Congratulations! She's really lovely and you must be so proud that she will remain with relatives.:clap:

MarciaJane
11-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Congratulations E-J. This is a beautiful portrait ! I can understand you not wanting to let it go.... I am like that most of the time with my own paintings. This one is going to give someone alot of happiness! :) :)

http://www.freewebs.com/marciajane/

SweetBabyJ
11-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Congratulations to both! Nice for you EJ- you did stunning work.

nougat
11-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Well done E-J!!!! I'm soooo pleased!!!

nadine

bnoonan
11-09-2003, 01:24 PM
OOOHWWWWOOOO!!! I'm dancing in my seat as I think of the wonderful news you've just received. You've worked hard and it has paid off!

This is a fabulous piece and I have to agree, there's no question it sold!!!

You must be walking on air and if you're not - we are doing so for you.

Congratulations and please remember us when you are famous!!!

Barb

PS: I AM GREEN WITH ENVY!!! (right down to the green gunk under my fingernails - ps: take the money you make on the piece and buy yourself a hand brush for those nails!)

Egon
11-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Super:clap: :clap:

pampe
11-09-2003, 02:00 PM
OH!!

congratulations!!!

I am so pleased for you, green gunk and all!:clap: :clap:

Pam

IT IS SUCH A STUNNING PIECE!

cjkelly
11-09-2003, 04:15 PM
:clap: :clap: Congratulations E-J !! :clap: :clap:

Prepare yourself ... I think you will be feeling confused again, and again, and again, and again.............

cj

Stoy Jones
11-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Way to go, E-J! Words simply can't describe! With such work, you truely deserve it. :clap: May you have many more!

Stoy

sundiver
11-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Besides the fact that it's a gorgeous painting, it's cool that an offer to buy came out of the blue. You didn't even try to sell it.
And now you can say you sell internationally!

k9artist
11-09-2003, 06:15 PM
This is a gorgeous portrait..no wonder it sold!! Congrats!
Dana

Mo.
11-09-2003, 09:10 PM
The best news I've heard all week,
WELL DONE E-J :clap::clap::clap:

You have worked so hard at your painting, been dedicated and determined and now it has paid off for you!!! I'm absolutely thrilled for you...in fact I'll join Barb, and do a celebration jig !

This is marvelllous, but must be honest, I didn't think it would be long before it happened......Go E-J... GO!!!!!

Mo.:)

Cherub
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Wow! CongratulationS! That is a very beautiful portrait!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
11-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Yay!!! CONGRATUALATIONS!! This is a wonderful painting. The new owners have gotten a beauty!!!

E-J
11-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I've just realised I was so excited posting about this that I linked to the not-quite-final version of the painting ... here, for the record, is the finished one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2003/13865-first_portrait.jpg

Eugene Veszely
11-10-2003, 10:43 AM
The eyes are so good!!:cool:

rwhale
11-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Congratulations, E-J!! That's wonderful news!

Meisie
11-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Congratulations!
The Grandma is just going to love that portrait, its super!
:D
Meisie

soap
11-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Can I join the celebration jig?? WOWIE EJ!! Well done!! Fantastic. You must be over the moon. I don't have to tell you that the portrait is wonderful. That's one lucky grandmother! I am very happy your talents are getting out there. They deserve it.

Great news.

flowerfields
11-11-2003, 07:19 AM
Well done EJ!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
I really love all the different colours you have used in her skin....glowing and living, and such beautiful eyes....They will LOVE having that on their wall and I'm sure it will receive many comments.
The first of many sales!!
Congrats
Mia:cat: