PDA

View Full Version : Challenge - WIParticipate! Deck the Halls with lights & shiney baubles

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nandie
11-09-2003, 02:22 AM
A few of you asked me to show you how I paint shiney Christmas baubles and lights. So I've prepared a step-by-step WIP for you to follow along with.

Here's the finished product:

Deck The Halls
9"x11" on Arches, Winsor & Newton paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls8.jpg

Here's the fun part: I'm not giving an inch more until you get ready to follow along. You can either draw your own picture, or copy the one I used HERE. (http://seatoskyzine.com/deckhalls_template.htm) Just click the link, copy and save the picture, then print it out on a regular 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. It should be just the right size to fill the piece of paper. (at least, it was when I tried it, lol!) Then trace it out and transfer it to your watercolor paper. I used Arches 140# CP. Make it 10"x12" or something a bit bigger than you need because you'll want to mat and frame your masterpiece when you are finished :) Just transfer the basic lines of the baubles (circles), lights and branches. Don't bother to trace in the foliage (my scribbles) that's just there to give you an idea of how it goes for later.

Then get your brushes. I used a 1" Flat, a 1/2" flat, a #8 round and a #2 script liner.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-brushes.jpg

Paints: I started off with W&N Winsor Yellow, Winsor Red, Winsor Blue, Winsor Violet and Hookers Green. Later on you'll need Burnt Sienna, FUB or others that you choose. Of course you don't have to use the same colors as me for the baubles.... do what you like.

Anyway, go ahead, get yourselves ready.

I'll wait.

:D

laudesan
11-09-2003, 02:51 AM
Cool I will be in this :D.......but.........remember our time difference :D I will be sleeping when you give the instructions and lesson...

Yippeeeeeeeee

JJ

Remy
11-09-2003, 03:59 AM
I'm in :D. This will be fun, and interesting to see everyone's finished paintings.

Thanks Andrea.

GISELADOVE
11-09-2003, 04:52 AM
I think this is great Andrea,
looking forward to it.:D

jaytee
11-09-2003, 05:01 AM
You tease:D I think Ill paint mine on the wall .... permamnet Christmeas decoration :D

Bubba's Mama
11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Cool beans, Nandie! I am in! Now to print out the pattern........

Susan

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Okay! I'm ready - printed the "pattern" and got the brushes ready.:clap: :clap: :clap:

cascadeoflove
11-09-2003, 10:07 AM
WOW NANDIE ITS GREAT TO WATCH YOUR STYLE OF PAINTING SHINING AND TWINKLING LIGHTS.

I AM READY WITH MY BRUSHES AND PAPER.

HEY EVERYBODY READY?:D :clap:

cascadeoflove
11-09-2003, 10:09 AM
FRIENDS YOU SEE MY WIP ALSO.:cat:

idcrisis55
11-09-2003, 11:16 AM
May I join too? This looks like fun :)

Ann

Faafil
11-09-2003, 11:24 AM
wonderful idea ! I've been meaning to paint something for a Christmas card this year, and now I have my own tutor ! Whoohoooo !

joannd
11-09-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm in! This looks like fun.
JoAnn

Rieko
11-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Nandie, I'm waiting for more here. :)

Maddie M.
11-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Cool! I'll try it, too.

-- Maddie

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 01:13 PM
WAIT! I have a question - - I don't have Winsor Yellow or Winsor Blue - what should I substitute for them? :confused:

Nandie
11-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Cathie Jones
WAIT! I have a question - - I don't have Winsor Yellow or Winsor Blue - what should I substitute for them? :confused:

Cathie, FUB will substitute nicely for Winsor Blue (it's just for the blue ornament so you could use anything, really.)

For the Winsor Yellow, which is on the yellow ornament, try Winsor Lemon or any other color of your choosing. The ornament doesn't have to be yellow, although it really adds to the brightness to have something yellow on the tree.

It's more important to have a nice soft yellow for the light wall area on the lower right of the painting as well as for the "haloes" around each light. You could try Winsor Lemon or any other very light yellow. If you have no yellow at all, for these areas you could substitute New Gamboge, very diluted Burnt Sienna or maybe Yellow Ochre. What do you have that's a yellow hue?

Glad you are already - I'll post the first step shortly.

JJ, don't worry about the time difference - we're all in different time zones. Just do each step when you see it here, and be sure to post your progress so we can all help each other out.

IDCrisis, all are welcome to join in anytime! :)

Nacre
11-09-2003, 01:37 PM
:) Andrea : count your Ant P in. Will keep a look out for the first step.

idcrisis55
11-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks Nandie, I'm ready :)

Ann

Gilberte
11-09-2003, 01:54 PM
I couldn't hold my hand that steady, not in a thousand years !
But I'll gladly follow your wips !

Nandie
11-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Okay, so you should have something that looks like this transferred onto your watercolor paper:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls1_sm.jpg

Lights: First, paint a "halo" around each light with light yellow. I used Winsor Yellow, but any soft yellow will do. The halo doesn't have to be perfectly round, but do try to fade the edges so they are soft rather than hard.

Balls: Now wet your #8 Round brush with plain water and paint inside a ball in a circular motion (most brush stokes within a ball should follow the curve of the ball to keep it looking round). Leave some areas in the middle and lower right of the ball dry. Go fast, be a little messy. Careful strokes at this stage will make your ball look overworked. The best reflections sort of create themselves as paint reacts with water. You'll see. Anyway, even though you are going quickly, do stay within the lines.

Now, if you've got a puddle of water in your ball, let it dry until the paper is shiney, which is still very wet. Now pick up your round brush and stroke it across your paint - I use undiluted pigment at this stage - and dab it (also called "dropping in") where you want the most intense color. See where my strongest colors are - in the middle and upper areas where I'd imagine the tree branches would cover the ball? That's where I dropped in the color. Also pay attention to nearby lights - you want white areas left where the ball would reflect these closest lights. Let the paint mingle with the water on the ball, tilt your paper around so it can cover all the wet areas. If it won't do that, your wet areas are too dry. Just drop in a little more water and watch the fun happen.

Just as the paint is getting dry, take your damp brush and gently coax a bit of the color around the edges of the ball that have no paint.

Do this with each ball and you should end up with something like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls2.jpg

Here's a closeup detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls2_detail.jpg

See how the areas you left dry are already starting to look like reflections, and how the darkest areas where you dropped in your pigment are adding depth and roundness? You can see especially on the red ball where I coaxed the color around the edges of the white part. See where I've left the lightest areas closest to the lights. Don't worry if you didn't leave light areas everywhere that you wanted them.... we can lift out some high-lights later as well.

Nandie
11-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Highlights on Christmas tree baubles have both hard and soft edges, depending on what they are reflecting. Nearby lights will often create soft-edged reflections, while reflections from sources further away seem to have hard edges.

You will be creating both soft and hard edged reflections on your baubles. The hard edges are created in these first steps, as you add pigment to the water painted on your bauble and it dries with hard edges. We'll try to preserve as many of these as we can. Some will be sacrificed in subsequent steps but as long as a few remain it will be effective. Soft edged reflections will be added later by lifting out areas of color with a damp brush, mostly where the lights are closest to the ball.

Have fun with the first step. Don't sweat - the instructions are long but the technique really is simple. Have fun watching undiluted pigment react with the water on your paper. You can also use a hair-dryer to speed up the drying process on the balls, infact the blowing air sometimes makes the pigment move around more and create interesting effects.

Ask questions, I'll check in often to see how you are doing.

Post your progress so we can see!

Ant P, stop looking over at what Susan's doing and get to work. (yeeesh what a trouble-maker!):rolleyes:

madmum
11-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Andrea, I won't join in but I'll be watching from the wings :) Good for you, taking the time to do this demo! :clap:

Ruth

christmascarolnz
11-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Since I am a real newbie to water colours I'm gonna give this a go. What a wonderful way to learn, thanks.
Carol

Sunflwr1
11-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Waaaaaaaa! My paint brushes still haven't arrived, but I saved the image anyway and will follow along. As soon as they do I'll give it a try!

This is great, Andrea! Thanks so much for the WIP! Marcia

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Okay - here's my first progress pic - I can already see one thing I've done wrong - too much dark, not enough "dragging" down - maybe I'll start another one - in spite of the complicated, detailed drawing. LOLOLOLOL :evil: :angel: Besides, it's fun.:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/23460-baubles1.jpg

Remy
11-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Okay - here's my first progress pic - I can already see one thing I've done wrong - too much dark, not enough "dragging" down - maybe I'll start another one - in spite of the complicated, detailed drawing. LOLOLOLOL :evil: :angel: Besides, it's fun.:D

Hey Cathie :),...you might need the halo's around the lights to be a bit bigger too. *Shes says as she's about to mess up her own attempt*

Strawberry Wine
11-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Nadie I just got back from the Dog Show and snuck in here.

Thanks.

Gail

Nacre
11-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Andrea... Darn, Can't get away with anything :(

Ant P

Bubba's Mama
11-09-2003, 04:15 PM
It's okay, Aunt Pearl, we can swap stuff around, and really mess her up!!:D

Can't post til tomorrow - company arriving momentarily, so can't paint til then.

Dang and blast!!

Looking good, Nandie

Susan

Nacre
11-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Good Idea Susan.. Hey Andrea ,do we get a lunch break ? Ihope for at least a coffee break.

Auntie P

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 04:59 PM
**Shhhh , , , Aunt P - we haven't asked Andrea if we can have food here, but I'd be glad to share a cup of Earl Grey and a bite of chocolate with you***:evil:

:angel: Hey, Andrea - can we bring food to your WIP? I have a pot of Earl Grey , , , :rolleyes:

Nandie
11-09-2003, 05:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/23460-baubles1.jpg

Hi Cathie,

It's a good first try! But the colors look too even, as if your paper was too wet so the pigment spread out too evenly. Are you working on a horizontal surface? I think I see darker areas at the bottom portions of the red and green balls, as if you had the canvas tilted or even vertical. Make sure you keep your paper flat so the paint stays basically where you put it and is more faded towards the bottom of each ball. Try again with less water on the balls so the color stays concentrated where you drop it in. And like Remy said, your halos could be bigger although the one by the blue ball is perfect. (Remy had just better be practising what she's preaching!) ;):angel:

Ant P, no coffee break for you until you upload your progress pic!

Cathie, you can bring chocolate as long as you share with the teacher, and oh yes, I'll have a Starbucks latte please!

How's everybody else doing?

Remy
11-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Nandie

(Remy had just better be practising what she's preaching!) ;):angel:
How's everybody else doing?

lol, well,.....I'm doing mine right now and have done 5 halos so far, but I think I might have taken my own advice too far and think the halos are too big, and a bit uneven in the wash *sigh*. I can never seem to get my halo right :angel: *giggle*

Ok off to see if I can make the next ones better.

Nandie
11-09-2003, 05:23 PM
LOL - don't worry about your haloes being too big - as long as they have soft edges to blend in with the rest of the background which we'll be adding in the next step, you'll be fine!

**yeesh we're going to start a "halo envy" war**

How are the baubles comming along?

hopefulbucky
11-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Nandie, well I am going to participate but I can't post as my hubbie took the digi with him to CT this week. he will be back next Sat. I can try and scan we will see.

But this looks like fun.

Have traced (not too good in the drawing dept.) although I did draw for the 'elephant' but round I don't do well.

am going to get my paints out and start on this.

Thanks for doing this.

Remy
11-09-2003, 05:46 PM
LOL - don't worry about your haloes being too big - as long as they have soft edges to blend in with the rest of the background which we'll be adding in the next step, you'll be fine!

**yeesh we're going to start a "halo envy" war**

How are the baubles comming along?

Hee hee "halo envy"

Purple bauble number 1 turned out really well, but I have a "bauble concentration headache" now,:eek: . Ok about to do bauble number 2, hope number 1 wasn't a fluke.

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Okey Dokey! Here's try #2 . . . better baubles - are the halos big enough this time? They might be bigger than the photo shows - they definitely fade at the edges.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/23460-baubles2.jpg

Nacre
11-09-2003, 06:07 PM
OK :mad: I really need that coffee and some of Cathie's choc. My purple bauble looks like a plum don't you think? As you can see I am taking artistic licence with the red one. My scanner doesn't do watercolours too well so that is my excuse for a bad job .

Nacre
11-09-2003, 06:10 PM
:( opps hit the wrong button .still fuzzy headed you know.
Sorry , still havent got the courage to try the up loader button yet.

Nacre
11-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Now I really don't know what happened HELP!!! Any and all advice.

Nandie
11-09-2003, 06:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-WIPbaubles.jpg

(You have to remember to save your pictures as jpeg or gif compatible and yours was a bitmap);)

Anyway, I like your purple one the best! I'd say you are ready for the next step.

And Cathie, yours are looking good, haloes are good too! You are ready for the next step too :) so you ladies reward yourselves to a nice hot cuppa and stay tuned......

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Whew. I'm glad YOU think I'm ready for the next step - this is hard work! **I know, I know - it's only paper** :rolleyes:

Here ya go, Aunt P - a handful of Hershey's Nibbles with almonds. It's all I have, but maybe one of our Belgian friends will show up with some good stuff!!:D

GISELADOVE
11-09-2003, 06:37 PM
well...........Andrea thanks for doing this:D

here is mine.............I'm a little heavie on pigments.
do you think too strong.........I'm good on removal:eek:

Nacre
11-09-2003, 06:39 PM
:clap: Thank you Andrea , thank you.:cat:

Thanks for the nibbles and almonds C.

laudesan
11-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Good Morning.......Wow you have been busy :D I will do mine later this avo and post :)

JJ

GISELADOVE
11-09-2003, 06:44 PM
There is not a peace of chocolate in the house.
please ship some this way.............or I have to
nibble on Nutella.........
Really would like some choc mousse cake:crying: :crying: :crying:

I heard on German TV that chocolate is the HAPPY DRUG
it's true. I'm not so happy sitting here having water.:D

Remy
11-09-2003, 06:51 PM
phew,..Oh the concentration. Need a sweet coffee now to get rid of my bauble headache.

There is more graduation in value in the baubles especially the yellow one which doesn't show up in the scan.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/18344-deckthehalls1.jpg

M.A.
11-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Cool, Andrea! Is this the beginning of a WC! article?

idcrisis55
11-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Here is my first attempt. I forgot to keep the whites for reflections and had to lift out a few lights. Also, I went a little heavy on the pigment. Any suggestions, hints, help? Thanks, Ann

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/15669-Baubles_1_WIP.jpg

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Remy, the headache was worth it - your baubles look perfect to me!

Here's a piece of chocolate to help your head - and one for Gisela, too.

dspinks
11-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey, this is fun! here's my first try:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/7933-dspinksxmaslights.jpg

Don't have chocolate, but have TONS of Twizzler snacks left over from Halloween -- anyone?

Debra

GISELADOVE
11-09-2003, 07:21 PM

:D Thank you thank you thank you:D

told you: :D :D makes:D :D you:D :D happy:D :D

Nandie
11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Giseladove: Your pictures seems very dark. Is this more like it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/14007-GiselasWIP.jpg

Anyway, it's just fine. I tend to build up my colors gradually in several steps but what you have here is good! Your light blue ball at the top is sort of what we are aiming for, with more tonal variation but don't worry, we will do some lifting later.

Remy, beautiful - it shines already!

Fun2Cook.... hmmmmm.... I'd have to figure out how to use the publisher first..... tried once and gave up in frustration! LOL!:rolleyes:

IDcrisis, your highlights are all soft, but that's fine! My only thought is that you need to do a little more lifting following the lower curve of the balls. The highlights you've lifted from the blue & yellow balls are a bit too straight, making the balls look flat. I like the fact that they are long and narrow though... just make them conform to the round shape of the ball. We will be adding more color later, so don't worry if they aren't "perfect" at this stage! OH! And make your light "haloes" bigger!!!

Ant P, your haloes arent quite big enough either!:angel:

Debra, you've achieved exactly what I meant by letting the pigment swirl around on it's own. Looks great!

You guys are all doing a great job - give yourselves a pat on the back! We're just waiting for a few more to post their progress and then we'll go on to step 2!

Okay..... who's got CHOCOLATE????

laudesan
11-09-2003, 07:57 PM
I am just going to draw mine out now.......I have peppermint choc cookies and choc coated icereams on a stick.......my staples :D

How do I get the red paint offa my keyboard :D:D

JJ

GISELADOVE
11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Andrea, thanks for lighting me up:D
This is way closer to tru colors:D

Remy
11-09-2003, 08:21 PM

Aw mmm mm mmmmm, thanks,..yummy,...just the thing to fix this headache. Hmmm,...now the kid's Freddo Frogs are very tempting.

idcrisis55
11-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks Nandie for all the help. I'll round out those hightlights more with a q-tip (I hope) and enlarge the halo around the lights. This is fun!

Ann

Nandie
11-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by idcrisis55
Thanks Nandie for all the help. I'll round out those hightlights more with a q-tip (I hope) and enlarge the halo around the lights. This is fun!

Ann

Ann, instead of using a q-tip, do you have a 1/2" flat brush? The edge of a flat moist brush will give you cleaner hi-lights. Give that a try if you have it! :)

laudesan
11-09-2003, 08:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/22284-Nandies_Christmas_card_wip.jpg

Is a little brighter IRL :)

JJ

Nandie
11-09-2003, 09:04 PM
JJ that looks great! Lots of tonal values going on in the baubles, well done! I especially like the yellow bauble.

Okay, you gals have worked fast today :eek: so I'll wait until tomorrow morning my time (about 14 hours away) to give the last few people a chance to catch up and then I'll post step 2!

For anybody coming in late, go ahead and get started - don't worry about catching up to the rest of us. Just let us know which step you are on when you post your progress!

Cathie Jones
11-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks for doing this, Andrea. It's taken up a pretty good chunk of your day - with more to come. It's appreciated!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/23460-SmileyApplause.gif

laudesan
11-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Thank you Nandie.....now I will get on with painting Teannes tap for my week 4 yearly painting :D:D

JJ

Nandie
11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks for doing this, Andrea. It's taken up a pretty good chunk of your day - with more to come. It's appreciated!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/23460-SmileyApplause.gif

Hey no problem.... this is fun for me too! Just keep the chocolate and latte's coming......

Carole A
11-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Andrea, thanks so much for this tutorial. I'll be following along, but don't know if I'll get around to posting.

Such a great idea for this time of year.

Carole

hopefulbucky
11-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Well, Nandie, I tried but certainly doesn't look like the others. Oh well, an experiment. What should I do? It just didn't work the way I thought it would. Any hope or should I start again?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/21041-balls.jpg

Maddie M.
11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
You all are so speedy! The uploads are looking great. I didn't get as far as the rest of the class, but here's my progress.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2003/31227-baublesmm.jpg

It has been fascinating to watch the pigment float around and stay only where the paper is wet. This has been a blast. Any suggestions before I finish those last three baubles?

-- Maddie

Nandie
11-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Carole, so glad youre joining us. Feel free to post anytime you can!

Hopefulbucky, don't throw away that painting! I think you should just go with it and see it through to completion. I think you have a good start here, and we will be layering on more color later. You may be surprised at how well it turns out in the end!

Maddie, keep going just the way you are, what you have looks terrific! It is fun, isn't it? :)

laudesan
11-10-2003, 02:07 AM
GO TO BED WOMAN :D:D:D

Nandie
11-10-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by laudesan
GO TO BED WOMAN :D:D:D

YES MA'AM!!!!:o :o

**sheepishly turns around and sulks off to bed muttering "how did she know I was still up" under breath **

gnu
11-10-2003, 02:22 AM
you absoloutely read my mind!! I am dying to do baubles...I am NOT peeking till tomorrow,, I will not cheat!! so I'll look forward to following along then..thank you SO much,,this is a very giving thing to do...blessings
Gill

Bubba's Mama
11-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Can't sleep, company was a pain - can be really unpleasantly aggressive when he wants to be.

Much more fun to paint!! So I did!!

Here is first round.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/21342-nandies_wip.jpg

Not quite as dark IRL.

Hey, teach - do I get a B+??? (Bribes teacher with chocolate coffee latte!!):D

Susan

laudesan
11-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Cool Susan your baubles really shine :)

JJ

nanphe
11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Ohhhhh! I hope I'm not too late! I want to try this also. It looks like such fun. Better run and gather up the supplies!

Nancy

jaytee
11-10-2003, 10:44 AM
May not be joining in. walls still calling... but boy, this is a great idea and a fun thread....................youre all doing so well............. Andrea... .....you do realise that youve started a 'genre' a sort of

'Paint Alonga *****' Pity only Ukers will get ref to Max Bygraves :D

I put asterisks not Nandie.............. dont want top saddle you with AWAYTC :D :evil: :D

What you doing for EASTER :D

Starsprite
11-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi Nandie and everyone! :) I saw this WIP and couldn't resist! I needed to get going on my Christmas cards for this year..and this looks perfect! I made my own last year..it's fun. You are very good at explaining things Nandie...great teacher! :D I'd give you an apple... but I think you prefer chocolate..so here's a big box of Russel Stovers Turtles for you. Yummy!

Well heres my attempt...I know the baubles are a little deformed but hey, my first try! This is fun! :) :clap: :clap:

Will be waiting for the next step!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/6385-baubles.jpg

Maddie M.
11-10-2003, 11:57 AM
It is fun, isn't it? :)

Absolutely! Thanks so much for teaching this project, Andrea. This is the first thing I've done larger than 2" that actually looks like it was painted with transparent watercolors instead of acrylic paints. I'm thinking YES this is why I bought all these tubes of color. :D

I've finally caught up with the rest of the class. Here's my Step 1.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/31227-bauble4mm.jpg

-- Maddie

Nandie
11-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Susan and Starsprite, those look GREAT!! Starsprite, when you get a spare moment, just get your damp 1/2" flat brush and lift some wonky edges around those baubles and they'll look round again.

Thanks for all the chocolate! (you're right, I prefer chocolate to apples.... apples may be healthier to the body but choc is definitely better for my disposition!)

Nanphe & Gnu, happy you've joined us! And it is the season for giving.... :)

Susan, I can ALWAYS be bribed with coffee and chocolate!:D

Maddie, those baubles look terrific! Ready for step 2!

Jaytee.... I am surprised that with all the WIP's done around here that a "follow-along" WIP has never been done before! After all, art lessons are expensive and with all the proficient artists around here, we could certainly be teaching each other - for free!!! I hope others will get the idea and do something similar!:)

Cathie Jones
11-10-2003, 12:03 PM
:clap: Yea Maddie! Beautiful start. I'm enjoying this so much, I have 7 versions started - all different sizes, some on card stock.

Okay, looks like the chocolate has arrived, so here's the coffee - Starbuck's French Roast, freshly ground . . . hope you like it strong!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23460-cupofcoffee.gif

Nandie
11-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Yay - Cathie's brought the coffee, so we are ready to start step 2!

So we will leave the baubles and lights alone for now and start working on our background - we want richness and depth that will really make those balls & lights start to glow!

Here's what we are doing today:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls3.jpg

The colors used in this step are Winsor Yellow (or another light, warm yellow if you need to substitute), Burnt Sienna and a bit of FUB (Fr. Ultra Blue) or another blue.

First, get your 1" Flat brush and make a puddle of Yellow on your pallette, and paint the whole lower right-hand area yellow (area indicated below the line) going slightly in around the lower baubles. (don't paint over the baubles!) Take the yellow down past your lower edge, even where you see brown right now. Hopefully the picture gives you an idea of what I'm saying:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls3_line.jpg
The yellow goes in the area below the line.
You want nice, warm color so make your yellow strong enough that you can see it. The idea here is the warm light reflection you would see cast on a wall behind and below the Christmas tree.

Now, mix a puddle of Burnt Sienna, diluted enough so it looks more orange than brown (but not too watery), and beginning with the upper left area, paint everything except the baubles and light-haloes. That's right, bring the color from the edges of the painting, right in amongst the balls and lights. As your work around those haloes, just soften the brown edges before they dry so they fade into the haloes with no hard edges. You can switch to a smaller brush for this area if you like. As you can see, the brown in amongst the baubles is lighter than the brown around the edges. It doesn't have to be that way, but it's okay if it happens that way.
You do want it darkest in the upper left corner, getting gradually lighter as you move to the lower right.

Now, do another layer of darker brown if yours isn't as dark as mine - I added a small dab of FUB to my Burnt Umber to darken it - and go over the upper left area again, and bring it around the edges to the lower right quadrant, just at the very edges - going over the edges of the yellow area. Again, refer to the picture, it's better at explaining this than I am! (more coffee please Cathie!) Make sure in this lower right area that your Burnt Sienna blends nicely into your yellow - just go over any hard edges with a large (1") damp flat brush to smooth it all out. Throw in a little more yellow here if you need to. Go ahead, it's your painting! :)

Hopefully when you've done this step, your lights and baubles will start to look like they are glowing, and you'll have the effect of shadow above and behind the balls, with a nice glow below, fading into shadow again.

Have fun! :)

Maddie M.
11-10-2003, 01:19 PM
I have a question... Are we still working flat at this point, or are we tilting our boards a few inches? Does it matter?

-- Maddie

Nacre
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
:( OK , I probably have this too dark and too bright. I suppose no choc. for me til I fix it . Let fly with comments. Just remember I am your lil' ole' Aunt. :angel:

nanphe
11-10-2003, 02:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23474-christmas_balls.jpg

Here's my first try. I don't think I left enough highlights in the baubles. Whew! This takes concentration!

Nancy

hopefulbucky
11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Nandie, just wanted to take a moment to THANK YOU for the time you are devoting to this. It is so helpful to someone like me who is just starting (not that I get it correct but at least I try). I truly do hope that other folks have some of these. It is one thing to read in a book and try and follow along but this way one can truly see which way to go, along with the feedback to correct before it is totally lost, or just encouragement. Thanks again.

I won't be able to try step 2 until tonight as I am at work, SOOOOOOOOO back to work. Ugh!

Cathie Jones
11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm just getting ready to start step 2 - we had to go printer shopping. The Epson printer we bought last month turns all my watercolor prints to MUD! So - we got another HP and it's working great! Now if I can just keep my originals from turning to MUD . . . LOL.

Hopeful's comment reminds me of the Penny Soto book I just bought. She has a demo of poppies in a wine glass. The demo is primarily for the background wash, so that part is pretty detailed - then she just says to finish it . . . . . well - HOW? She doesn't say how to paint the wine glass or the flowers! Sheeeesh . . .

Okay - paint and paper waiting . . . here I go . . . Step 2 coming up . . .

Have a piece of apple pie while you wait for me to catch up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23460-applepie.gif

dspinks
11-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Quick questions - do we let the yellow wash in the lower part dry before adding the Burnt Sienna - and do we let the first BS wash dry before adding the 2nd BS layer?

Debra

Remy
11-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by dspinks
Quick questions - do we let the yellow wash in the lower part dry before adding the Burnt Sienna - and do we let the first BS wash dry before adding the 2nd BS layer?

Debra
Hi Debra, just in case Andrea doesn't pop back in for a while and you're wanting to get painting,...I would say absolutely,..let each wash dry before applying the next. If you don't you will risk getting those 'blooms' when the new wash meets the partially dry wash.

Cathie Jones
11-10-2003, 05:23 PM
My first wash is drying, and I heard that Andrea wanted more coffe, so here's a bigger pot - enough for everybody!

Aunt Pearl, yours looks perfect - your baubles are already glowing - so take all the chocolate you want.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23460-coffee7.gif

Remy
11-10-2003, 05:31 PM
My first wash is drying, and I heard that Andrea wanted more coffe, so here's a bigger pot - enough for everybody!

Aunt Pearl, yours looks perfect - your baubles are already glowing - so take all the chocolate you want.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23460-coffee7.gif

aaaah, thanks....I needed that,...my first wash is also drying,lol

Remy
11-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Ok, applying the Burnt Sienna now,.......this is the "UGLY" stage of the painting right????? :crying:

dspinks
11-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Remy, Now I can work it over in my mind as I finish my day's work. Can't wait to see how your effort goes!
Debra

Nacre
11-10-2003, 05:55 PM
:) :clap: Thanks Cathie . Wow chocolate and coffee what more could a person want ? Good thing Andrea hasn't been in for a while she would think we aren't working hard enough. '' When the cats away ''

Aunt P

Nandie
11-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Maddie M.
I have a question... Are we still working flat at this point, or are we tilting our boards a few inches? Does it matter?

-- Maddie

Hi Maddie, we are always working FLAT (horizontal) for the whole thing! :)

Remy
11-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by dspinks
Can't wait to see how your effort goes!
Debra

It's looking vewwy vewwy UGLY right now and I'm tempted to throw it out, so I've snaffled one of these http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/18344-freddo.jpg from the kid's school snack stash while I convince myself to push through the uglies. Bluerk!

Bubba's Mama
11-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Ummmmmmmm, teach???? This is the nit picky nasty-a$$ed lawyer in me, butt....................... are we using both Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber in this here lil ole wash??

Probably a typo - but I am so anal retentive that I can't paint it until I know.......:(

So solly, Miss Nandie.

And, Miss Pearl - you must have been a real handful while Nandie was trying to "raise" you!!!:evil:

Cathi - thanks for the coffee - the stronger the better, and, as it is after 5 pm, may we have a little Grand Marnier with that coffee, please?

Won't help my painting, but will sure improve my mood!!:D

Susan

Nandie
11-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Everybody - Maddie pointed out to me that I made a typo, in the first sentence of the second to last paragraph - I mentioned adding FUB to Burnt Umber, I meant to say Burnt Sienna! :) Sorry for any confusion!

Okay, commenting in order of sequence....

Ant P, yours looks good - it could actually go a little darker between your lights & baubles if you like. (there, that wasn't too painful, was it?!)

Nanphe, that looks wonderful! I love the purple bauble - now go on to step 2!

Judy, you are so welcome. Glad you are enjoying this.... :)

Cathie, apple pie! Mmmmmmmm......:D

Debra, I didn't wait until the yellow was completely dry - it was still a bit damp when I went over the edges with Burnt Sienna. Just watch for blooms and smooth them out if they occur. Same for the second layer of BS - the first was not completely dry but it worked okay anyway!

Or do as Remy suggested (let it dry) just to be safe! (Thanks for jumping in to help, Remy!) :)

Remy, LOL - every painting I have ever done goes through an "ugly" stage - don't know how to ever avoid that! :rolleyes: Show us what you've got anyway... don't throw it away!

Ant P..... I hear you causing trouble while I'm away.... just simmer down, you!!!

Susan, yes it was a typo - we are NOT using Burnt Umber. I MEANT to say Burnt SIENNA!:o
And yes, my Ant P has always been a bit of a handful for me.... that's why I am the way I am.... patient, long suffering, a saint, really!:angel: :angel:

gnu
11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
I am getting so much pleasure out of this..talk about your own personal tutor!!
I am trying to be very careful..
first stage..lights..so far so good...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/7242-IMG_0572Xmas_balls_stg_1_sm.jpg

then the balls..I want them VERY shiny looking, so becuase I don't trust my skill, I have frisketed some areas..
you can see I blew this layer with the yellow ball, so need advice in this..I guess I lift some colour with a wet brush?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/7242-IMG_0573Xmas_balls_stg_2_sm.jpg
thanks in advance for any help....off to browse others' work till mine is dry...(PS I'm NOT going to get precious over this..it's good practice..gotta learn how to repair as well as create!!)

Nandie
11-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Hi Gill,

Looking fine - yes you can lift some areas later on that yellow ball. In fact, if you want to try right now, you can lift most of your yellow, let it dry, and then do another layer of yellow color using the method I described in step 1. Don't cover the whole ball with this new layer of color, just where you want more intense color. You really do need some light yellow areas there for tonal variation, so go ahead and try that if you like!

I tried doing baubles once before using frisket and ended up not liking the result, which is why I'm not doing that here, but maybe it will work for you. Anyway, carry on with this, and we'll see, maybe you'll be showing us all how to do this with frisket! :)

Bubba's Mama
11-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Ummmmmm, Gill - might want to take a closer look at that gold ball - I see a definate clown face in it. Might be the scan, might be the monitor, thought you might want to check.

Good idea on the mask, for those of us who are highlight impaired!!

Susan

Nacre
11-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Well now. I really can't imagine how anyone could think I was anything but a sweet lil' old lady ;) hard to handle ? who me? :angel:

gnu
11-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Bubba's Mama
Ummmmmm, Gill - might want to take a closer look at that gold ball - I see a definate clown face in it. Might be the scan, might be the monitor, thought you might want to check.

Good idea on the mask, for those of us who are highlight impaired!!

Susan
HEHE, as soon as I posted this I saw it!! I'll fix it..I hope!!:D:D thanks..
and Nandie..thank you, I'll go ahead and lift as you suggested now..

Remy
11-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Ok, after much fiddling, here it is. Could it be that I'm rather heavy handed with the colour??
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/18344-deckthehalls2.jpg

joannd
11-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Am I too late to post step one? I really am working on this. No time to paint today...I think my halos need to be brighter??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/24406-christmasbaubles.jpg

JoAnn

Cathie Jones
11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Here are 2 versions of step 2. Does either one of them look like what we're aiming for???

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles4.jpg

gnu
11-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Kristin..they are already popping off the page..I wouldn't worry about too much colour..super...
Cathie..yours are looking good too...:clap:

Nandie
11-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Hey, everybody's progress is looking good!

Remy, GORGEOUS color!!! Maybe a BIT heavy-handed, we'll see when we carry on - just leave it, I like it!

Joann, good job on step 1! Yes, you could make those haloes a bit bigger before going on to step 2.

Cathie, looks good too. Carry that brown color a little further down in amongst the lights towards the green bauble, then bring some brown (Sienna) around the outer edges of the yellow - refer back to my picture to see what I mean. Good job!

idcrisis55
11-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi Everyone, here is my Step 2. I haven't a clue as to whether it is too light, or too dark, or not enough highlights lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/15669-Baubles_2_WIPA.jpg

Everyone's work is looking so good and can't wait to see the next step that everyone does.

Nandie, thanks so much for all your time and effort. This is great fun :)

Ann

laudesan
11-10-2003, 08:51 PM
I will do mine when we get home from the dentist this afternoon ..
Just going for a clean :)

My burst of energy has left me today, woke with a headache that I haven't been able to shift all morning :(

JJ

gnu
11-10-2003, 08:58 PM
background colour added..
only have burnt umber...used med yellow for the yellow, so it would be different from the ball...
just notice my baubles are not round..sigh...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/7242-IMG_0574Xmas_balls_stg_3.jpg

Starsprite
11-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Here's my Step Two.... paint still wet and taken with digital cam with flash so kind of brighter than in real life. How is it teach...I have no idea?? We are going to brighten up the baubles later on arent' we? If not...mine are pretty sad. :crying: I had to use Cotman burnt sienna too... as I didnt have any artist grade. Oh well! Pass the chocolates!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/6385-Steptwo.jpg

dspinks
11-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Uggggh! Not sure I like this!
Debra

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2003/7933-debrastep2.jpg

joannd
11-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone..Here's my step 2. this is fun, cant wait for more instructions..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/24406-christmasbaubles2.jpg

It looks brighter IRL.

JoAnn

gnu
11-11-2003, 01:06 AM
have you noticed how different they all are? and I don't mean good or bad..but different...
it will be sooo interesting to see everyone's end result...
I think they are all looking fine...(OK so we all have little bits that aren't perfect..but we're having fun aren't we? and boy I'm learning too...

Nandie
11-11-2003, 03:29 AM
Hey, you gals have been busy!! Lookin' good... I'll comment in order of appearance:

Ann, your is definitely glowing! Love it! Ready for step 3 :)

JJ, take your time, hope all went well at the Dentist.

Gnu, it's just fine. You can fix the wobbly edges of your balls with a damp, 1/2" flat brush... just go around those edges and lift where you need to and add a bit of color where you need to.... then your ready for the next step too :)

Patty, looking good too. That cotman color reallly is orange, isn't it? Do you have a brown color you can glaze over the orange just in the upper left area? The idea is to have shadow in the upper left and glowing light in the lower right. If you have no brown, try a glaze of dark blue, as blue and orange together create a neutral dark. Do you feel comfortable trying that? And yes, we will be working more on the baubles, so yours are just fine for this stage of the game! :)

Debra, don't worry, what you have is just right! Be patient - you'll see how it all ties together as the steps progress!

JoAnn, good for you! Ready for step 3 :)

I'm going to finish this post by quoting Gnu, because she hit the nail right on the head with the spirit of this whole exercise:

have you noticed how different they all are? and I don't mean good or bad..but different...
I think they are all looking fine...(OK so we all have little bits that aren't perfect..but we're having fun aren't we?) and boy I'm learning too...

Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

laudesan
11-11-2003, 03:33 AM
I am here.....Hows this for dedication :D I have just eaten my dinner at the puta so I could study your step2 instructions :D

This is special you know...yours is my very first official water colour lesson !!

O.K. I have done step 2 and am waiting for it to dry then I will scan it.
All went well for me at Dentist :D Alan had a filling :(

JJ

laudesan
11-11-2003, 04:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-Nandies_card_wip1_opt.jpg

JJ

cascadeoflove
11-11-2003, 05:27 AM
:clap: hey where r my sunglasses. i cant see anything, Its great shines and twinkle everywhere.:D :D lol

really it is great to see all the artist on work at a time.

message to crowd of great artists:D Cascadeoflove has finished his WIP:clap: Final work is on display.

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by gnu
I think they are all looking fine...(OK so we all have little bits that aren't perfect..but we're having fun aren't we? and boy I'm learning too...

Well said Gill, my sentiments exactly! I'm learning, enjoying the comments and posted pics, and having a great time. What more is there? :) (I know, rounded ornaments lol)

Ann

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 05:36 AM
Thanks Nandie, I wasn't sure if there was more needed correcting or not :). My curiousity is peaked about the next step lol.

Cheers,
Ann

madmum
11-11-2003, 05:43 AM

Jaytee.... I am surprised that with all the WIP's done around here that a "follow-along" WIP has never been done before! After all, art lessons are expensive and with all the proficient artists around here, we could certainly be teaching each other - for free!!! I hope others will get the idea and do something similar!:)

It's so much fun to see all these paintings progressing together!!!

Andrea, only YOU could have had this idea! I think it's wonderful. I also know that I'm not cut out to be a teacher, because I work intuitively and can never remember quite what I did with what colour :rolleyes:

Keep up the great work, everyone!!! :clap:

Ruth

Remy
11-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by gnu

Well said Gill!! This is great, I'm really enjoying doing this with company.

Thanks so much Andrea for doing this,..you've really hit on something here doing a WIPALONG :). I hope this kind of WIP becomes popular here because there is nothing like actually 'doing' the painting and getting help with each stage as you go along. I think this type of WIP is a fantastic learning tool (not only for the participants)because there will obviously be lot's of different styles, abilities and errors that will bring interesting discussion and solutions. Great too for those who cannot get to watercolour classes for one reason or another. Your time spent on this is much appreciated.

Bubba's Mama
11-11-2003, 07:45 AM
I cannot agree more - each and every single posting is wonderful in its own way! All basically the same, and each one different. And shines and glows!!

Have just finished step 2 in both the watercolor and the acrylic - did I forget to mention I was doing the project in both?? Man, do they look totally different from each other, too.

JJ - love your red and green balls. Highlights are perfect! (green eyed icon here, please!)

And Nandie - you are indeed the best! Any time you want to do another, I will standing at the front of the line, with my cyber check for my tuition in my hot little fist!! And, I will have Aunt Pearl with me, so we can drive you nuts.

But will bring lattes and cinnamon raisin cookies - OK?

When these dry, will post them.

Gotta work today. Sigh.....................

Susan

Starsprite
11-11-2003, 07:45 AM
This is fun!! Nothing like having your own personal teacher making comments on your painting as you go along! Yup...I have some brown I can use to darken that Cotman burnt sienna..I'll do that tonight Nandie..thanks!

It is very interesting seeing all the different interpretations of this! Each one is so different. I like them all...but I think they are kinda at the "ugly" stage right now. I bet they come together nicely in the next coupla steps. :)

KansasLady
11-11-2003, 08:39 AM
Wait up! *kansaslady comes running down the road, paper and paints in hand* I just found this thread. I have got to do this too.

At least in cyberspace, time can hold still for me. Can't wait to get off work and try this.

Maddie M.
11-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Ah man! I am looking for any excuse not to have to do this step. It has "Fatal Error Potential" written all over it.

I've done the first washes and am now in recover and repair mode. I realized halfway into it that I didn't ask whether we were supposed to wet the paper first, or whether we are working wet on dry. I tried wet on dry and now have a bunch of hard edges to soften. Will upload as soon as I finish or give up, whichever occurs first ;).

-- Maddie

joannd
11-11-2003, 09:49 AM

This is special you know...yours is my very first official water colour lesson !!

JJ

Me too! I'm one who cannot get to watercolor lessons, so this is REALLY great for me. I hope more people will do this kind of WIP.

THANKS Nandie!

waiting patiently for the next step. (oh, gonna darken my brown in the left corner. It dried lighter overnight).
JoAnn

Nacre
11-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Right on everyone :) this is great fun. we can enjoy ourselves and learn at the same time. Susan , Im with you for the next WIP I will start buying more chocolate to day. ;) Cant wait for step 3 Ant P

Maddie M.
11-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Well, the good news is that the background didn't stain and can be corrected. I could probably spend hours trying to smooth this out, but I'll put it down for a while. Maybe it will magically look better after I have not been staring at it for two hours straight. It is reassuring to hear everyone call it the "ugly" stage because this is definitely it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/31227-bauble6mm.jpg

Now for the OOPS, which I didn't notice until the darks were added... There were supposed to be 11 lights. I've got only 10. Too late to add one now. :rolleyes:

-- Maddie

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 10:45 AM
I probably shouldn't encourage this yet 'cause I still have to shower and get ready for the day before I can paint - but here's the coffee to get us ready for Step 3! Good morning everyone!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/23460-coffee_maker.gif

Nandie
11-11-2003, 11:44 AM
I really am enjoying myself, so I'm really glad that you all are enjoying this too. Yes, I hope others will pick up the mantle and do some "WIP-alongs" too.... there's lots of people on WC that I'd love to learn from! Thanks for all your positive comments!

JJ - that looks great! Glad the dentist didn't affect your painting:)
And I do feel special, being your first, and all! :o :D

Kansaslady, glad to have you along!

Maddie, we are working wet on dry. You will get hard edges, which are fairly easy to soften up as long as you do it while your washes are still damp. And, even at the "ugly" stage, your painting looks perfect! I don't think you have to worry too much about edges, they all look fine to me. :)

Anyway, sorry to make you ladies wait a little, but I'll upload the next step in a few hours. We are on our way to Rememberance Day ceremonies shortly as all 3 of my sons are on parade with their Air Cadets, and my oldest is standing vigil.

So help yourself to Cathie's coffee, cookies & chocolate, and Ant P, try to restrain yourself okay?!:rolleyes:

Nacre
11-11-2003, 12:18 PM
:( OK :o

Ant P

jan willem
11-11-2003, 12:28 PM
I'm a bit late, but wanted to show you all my little and HUMBLE attempt...

It's one of my first attempts on watercolor.
(actually its one of my first attempts on painting ever)

So be gentle on me :-)

Bye Jan Willem

hopefulbucky
11-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Whoa Jan, this is fantastic. First attempt? Hard to believe. Great job!

Nandie I will still have to do step 2 but have a class tonight so won't get to it until tomorrow so I will need to play catch up. Did rework my balls a little so hopefully it will help. Anyone wonder why my pseudo is hopeful(?) I am just hopefully trying to learn this medium.

Maddie M.
11-11-2003, 12:34 PM
Yes, I hope others will pick up the mantle and do some "WIP-alongs" too.... there's lots of people on WC that I'd love to learn from!

You know what the problem is, don't you...? You've set the bar too high. No one is going to want to come after you because you're doing such an over-the-top job.

That said, the next lesson wouldn't necessarily need to be an entire painting. It could be a single element, such as a lemon, an easy flower, a lone tree, or a cloudy sky all by itself. We would all learn something even from quick studies.

Another idea would be for the artists who have uploaded articles to WetCanvas. The preliminary work is already done. The fun would be painting them together as a group with the instructors watching over our shoulders. All we need are volunteers.

Re posting your next step, that hardly matters as much as your three sons knowing their mom is proud of them -- as I'm sure you have every right to be. :)

My blotchy background isn't looking quite so pathetic to me, and it wasn't the time spent away from it. It was your encouragement. Thanks.

-- Maddie

sisangel
11-11-2003, 12:54 PM
I am a little late getting started but will get caught up today.

Thank you so much for the lesson. I am learning a lot already.
It looks like I need to clean my scanner bed. Dirty on the bottom right.

Part 1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/20753-baubles1.jpg

Are my halos ok? Not sure if they are bright enough. I'm scared to do part 2 but will do it anyway.

Bonnie G

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jan willem
I'm a bit late, but wanted to show you all my little and HUMBLE attempt...

It's one of my first attempts on watercolor.
(actually its one of my first attempts on painting ever)

So be gentle on me :-)

Bye Jan Willem

Jan this looks great. Love the look you achieved in the ornaments.

Ann

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by sisangel

Part 1

Are my halos ok? Not sure if they are bright enough. I'm scared to do part 2 but will do it anyway.

Bonnie G

Good ornaments and lights Bonnie (at least to me :) ). I had to paint the yellow larger on mine as they were too small the first time lol.

Ann

gnu
11-11-2003, 01:52 PM
morning everyone..I'm about to have a cup of coffee and then wander down to buy some canvasess..on special..5 for $20..can't beat that!! may buy 2 sets...(with my prize money from a CP still life) yipee...
then back to see how things are here..
can't wait...sure is hard to see the browns belonging yet isn't it? at least it teaches us tha you don't need pretty colours everywhere...:rolleyes: :)

Starsprite
11-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by sisangel

Part 1

Bonnie G

Hey Bonnie...your halos and baubles look perfect to me!! Great job! Part 2 was a little scarey for me too ..but you can do it! :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Is anyone planning to use this for your Christmas cards? We just went to Office Max to get some Avery greeting card stock and they had them on sale - 2 for the price of 1 - so we got both textured and feathered edge - so I can make enough to sell some sets at work.

Okay now, off to rework Step 2 on 5 or 6 of the 7 versions of this thing that I have going (kept thinking if I just did one more it would get better - so now I have LOTS of practice pieces!!!).

Tried to upload some chocolate for y'all, but the server's too busy right now (try again later).:rolleyes:

Edit: Aunt P, are you staying out of trouble?;)

Nacre
11-11-2003, 03:20 PM
:angel: :angel: Doing my best Cathie. Hard tho. :evil:

Nandie
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm back! I was really proud of my 3 handsome sons in their uniforms.... when I get pics developed I'll be sure to brag a little more! :) :)

Ant P, glad you are behaving, I KNOW how hard that is for you.:angel:

Jan Willem, WELCOME to WetCanvas! I'm really honored that you've only posted twice so far and you've chosen to participate with us!

Maddie, LOL - I'm going to have a very swelled head:o I really don't think I've set the bar too high.... in fact, Ant P. gives very good lessons, (she taught me everything I know!) so maybe she'll be the next one to do a WIP:evil: :angel:

Bonnie, those are good haloes! :angel:

Okay, I'll be back in a minute with the next step!

Nandie
11-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Make those baubles shine!

Now that you've done your background, we'll go back to work on those baubles. We are going to do exactly the same thing we did in step 1 (wet the area with plain water, drop in undiluted pigment, let it swirl around). We'll do this a couple of times, letting each layer dry thoroughly before doing another. We will wet areas on the baubles previously left white in some cases (except where you absolutely want white for the brightest reflections), still concentrating most of the color in the upper & middle areas of each ball. I'm going to show you how I did this in just two more steps. Some of you will perhaps need to only do this once, others may need to do it in 3 or 4 steps. It all depends on how light or dark your baubles were to begin with, and when you are happy with the result.

So to refresh your memory, here is how my baubles looked in the last step:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls3.jpg

Here's how they looked after repeating step 1 again:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls4.jpg

Detail:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls4_detail.jpg

You can see on the purple ball where I lifted a bit of color closest to the lights.

And here's how it looked after repeating step 1, one more time:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls5.jpg

Detail:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls5_detail.jpg

You can see on the red ball how I lifted out some circular hilights, using a damp 1/2" flat brush. I did the same thing with the green ball.

Do you see how the areas I left white are sharp-edged reflections, while the light-tone areas and lifted areas create interesting soft-edged hilights? And do you see how the layers of color overlap each other? It's all done by repeating that basic step 1, overlaping the colors and letting everything dry thoroughly between steps. The end result should be baubles that have lots of tonal values, ranging from white to very rich color. Those tiny bits of white are what really makes them sparkle, especially if the white areas are right beside an area of intense color!

sisangel
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Ann and Patty - Thank you for looking and commenting. It gives me encouragement to go on.

Andrea - I am in the middle of doing the ugly stage now, but I know part 3 is going to boost us all and take us on to beautiful things. Thanks for the comment about my haloes. Does that mean I get to wear one on my head? Oops, didn't think so.:)

Better get busy and finish my browns.

Bonnie G

Maddie M.
11-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Okay now, off to rework Step 2 on 5 or 6 of the 7 versions of this thing that I have going (kept thinking if I just did one more it would get better - so now I have LOTS of practice pieces!!!).

Cathie, as I was doing Step 2, I was thinking how smart you were to make those extra insurance pieces. I bet each one is turning out different, too.

Jan, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first upload. Glad you decided to join us.

-- Maddie

Maddie M.
11-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Andrea, on the detail images for this step, it looks like your little light bulbs have an outline of color around the inside of the bulbs. Do we paint that now as well?

-- Maddie

Nandie
11-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Andrea, on the detail images for this step, it looks like your little light bulbs have an outline of color around the inside of the bulbs. Do we paint that now as well?

-- Maddie

**makes a mental note to promote Maddie to subsitute teacher during next absence**

YES YES YES!!! Thank you for catching that. Just a bit of color around the outside of each bulb, leaving the centres and very tips white. I used a fine-liner brush for this - go easy on the color, not too dark.

**whew** I don't think I missed anything else!:o :o

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Maddie, I just want ONE to turn out right . . LOL. Only 2 are full size (9"x12"), the others are on 5"x7" cards. So far, none are very good. But I know all about the ugly stage, so I know they'll get better.

Although I did just try something that worked better. I was having a awful time with hard edges - the paint dries before I can get there to soften it. DUH!! I live in the desert - even though it's cloudy today, the humidity is about 15%. Therefore, it worked better for me to dampen the paper first. Don't know why I didn't think of that before . . .

Ok - now on to Step 3 . . . this is so much fun!!!!:clap:

Bubba's Mama
11-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Finally! Been one loooooooooooooooooooong day, folks. But have the pix ready to upload - so here goes (god willing and the crick don't rise!!):

This is step two of the watercolor version - a little darker than in real life, but you get the idea!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/21342-wip_wc2.jpg

And, just for fun, I decided to do the same thing in acrylics - just a learning experience on how the two mediums differ!!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/21342-wip_acrylic2.jpg

Having a ball here folks. Too much fun for one old woman, Nandie, she says, handing over latte and cinnyraisin cookies to teacher type lady.

Susan

laudesan
11-11-2003, 05:52 PM
:D:D

This is great Andrea :) I have just woken up, and I still have a sleepy head, so after my cuppa and shower I will start.

Aunt P. I have been reading these comments of yours and it sounds like we should get together :D:D Sounds like you enjoy having fun too. "trouble"? that is my second name :D :evil: not intentionally you see, it just happens ;)

I like the idea of Aunt P doing the next lesson too. Who else is in favour say aye..
Raise your hands
Woohoo for Aunt P.

So I wonder what the subject will be..?

JJ

joannd
11-11-2003, 06:06 PM
YEAHHHHHHH she's back!! Thanks for doing this Andrea. This is soooooooooooo funnnnnnnn!
Everyone's paintings are going to be sooo lovely.
Cathy I live in the deser too, (south about 60 miles from you) and I started doing wet..I can hardly EVER do anything on dry paper. That's very ambitious to be making Christmas cards! Will you paint each one? Or scan and print them?

running back to painting area to start painting again....

JoAnn

Nacre
11-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Susan luv your acrylic baubles. JJ we would make a fearsome pair. :evil: :evil: Look out everyone.
cathie , dont you think we deserve a coffee break? soon as I post my baubles I am going to sneak away for some.( don't tell Andrea. ) being good is hard hard work.

Bubba's Mama
11-11-2003, 06:45 PM
OK Auntie Pearl - give it up!!! Your red ball is marvelous - is that a touch of gold ribbon I see attached to this wondermous creation???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think the group is right, YOU should do the next WIPalong!!:evil:

Glad you like the baubles.

Susan

aquarius
11-11-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm always late.........:crying:

..........but this is SO interesting, must try it out as soon as possible, a bit late now, should be in bed by now.....

------------------------------
-----------Carola-----------

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Aunt P, your painting is so glowing I need sunglasses to look at it!!! We definitely need you to do a WIPalong for us - looks like we have a lot to learn from you! What can we bribe you with? How about some special chocolates?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/23460-chocolate_heart.gif

JoAnn, I've made cards for my co-workers before. I make the painting small enough to scan, then use Microsoft Publisher to make the cards. I print them on Avery Textured (#3378) half-fold cards or Feather Edge (#3251) cards in batches of 10 (or 12 for smaller cards). Thought I'd try Christmas cards, too, since I'm in Gail's card exchange project and had to paint at least three. It's funny that they sell so well at work, but when I put some on eBay last summer there wasn't even a nibble! Go figure!

Okay, back to this WIPalong - **waddles off to see if the last layer is dry and find more bribes for Aunt P**

laudesan
11-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Cathie, I did my Xmas cards for Gails project in publisher too.....it was soooo easy, once I got the paper re-insertion right :D

I am going to print some out for my family too. I have learnt not too send them the originals after the last time I sent one to BIL :( what a dissaster...he said "hmm nice, will put it away until you are famous" And that was only AFTER I had to ask him if he recieved it and did he like it :( I was hurt :( as I put a lot into painting this Calla Lily card just for them :(
So I don't send the originals to non-artist people now..

JJ

I am lopoking for a bribe for Aunt P :D

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Here i s step #3. I used staining colors in the blue, green, and red balls and can't lift any lighter highlights. May have to use pastels (is that allowed on the finished painting?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/15669-Baubles_3BWIP.jpg

Does this look about right, or do I need to do something more?

Thanks for all your help and this WIP :)
Ann

laudesan
11-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Well we still have the dancing banana :D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-18725-dancingbanana.jpg

How about a picnic??..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-bear_eating_picnic_md_wht.gif

A dozen red roses??
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-dozen_red_roses_expand_vase_md_wht.jpg

Apple pie??
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-mums_apple_pie_md_wht.gif

Tea???
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-tea_steaming_md_wht.gif

Or
Champagne??
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-champagne_glasses_confetti_md_wht.gif

:D:D:D

Do ya think we might want a wip from you Aunt P????????????:D

JJ

gnu
11-11-2003, 07:58 PM
OK next stage done, just got to add colour to the little lights..
if this is the last stage for the balls, I'll take the frisket off and see what happens...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/7242-IMG_0607xmas_balls.jpg

laudesan
11-11-2003, 08:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-Nandies_xmas_card_wip2_opt.jpg

Starsprite
11-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Here's my Step Three...... I fixed the white areas by some of the halos that I didnt notice until I saw the pic on here! LOL I hope my brown at the top isnt too dark...we shall see! :D

By the way..everyone is doing great!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/6385-Stepthree.jpg

laudesan
11-11-2003, 08:47 PM
I agree everybodies painting are just wonderful.........

Deserves a group hug :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-23460-smileyhug.gif

Starsprite
11-11-2003, 08:53 PM
I dunno...I think I'll fix that brown color...looks too dark to me and there is an ugly green splotch too!! Arrgggghhhhhhh!!!:evil:

Nandie
11-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Everybody's baubles look soooo shiney!!! This WIP is obviously way too easy for all of you.... Ant P will surely have something much harder for you whiz-bangs to try...:evil:

Ann, all I'm wishing for on your painting is a bit more deep, intense color in a few spots on your baubles. I think that will fix the problem, you don't need to lift any more color. Just add some, perhaps in these areas (roughly) with undiluted pigment, let dry with hard edges and see what you get:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-annsWIP.jpg

Gnu, JJ & ant P, yours are all fine, nice intense color with various tones all the way to white. They really shine!

Nandie
11-11-2003, 08:55 PM
PATTY, DON'T TOUCH THAT PAINTING!!! It's fine, really! You'll see how it all works out later. Go on to the next step with your baubles now. Trust me! :)

Starsprite
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
OK...I wont touch it...but it just looks so funny right now... I'll take your word for it though.... LOL:)

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Everybody's baubles look soooo shiney!!! This WIP is obviously way too easy for all of you.... Ant P will surely have something much harder for you whiz-bangs to try...:evil:

Ann, all I'm wishing for on your painting is a bit more deep, intense color in a few spots on your baubles. I think that will fix the problem, you don't need to lift any more color. Just add some, perhaps in these areas (roughly) with undiluted pigment, let dry with hard edges and see what you get:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-annsWIP.jpg

Gnu, JJ & ant P, yours are all fine, nice intense color with various tones all the way to white. They really shine!

Thanks Nandie, I see if I can't fix it :)

Ann

Nandie
11-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Good girl!!!

**pat's Patty on the head, breathing sigh of relief**

Your welcome Ann!

:D

Nacre
11-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi Susan ,yes that is a gold ribbon. A little artistic licence.
Luv everyones baubles .:) This is so much fun. thanks Andrea :clap: ((((Hug))) . Cathie , JJ keep the bribes coming , looking interesting.

joannd
11-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Hope I'm not too late. Here is my latest step.

Cathy, the most creative thing I've done on the computer was a gift card for a baby shower a few weeks ago. Turned out really nice, but it was much more involved than I thought. The printing!!! drove me nuts! I used Corel Print House. Looks so easy on the screen...

Okay, am I glowing enough??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/24406-christmasbaubles3.jpg

laudesan
11-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm let me see MORE BRIBES......

C'mon Guys :D:D Aunt P wants more bribes :D

JoAnn that looks great :)

JJ

joannd
11-11-2003, 10:04 PM
With all those bribes how can Aunt P refuse??

JJ your baubles look superb! very bright..EVERYONE's baubles look great..

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Here are two of my Step 3s (there are actually 4, not 7, and the other 2 are card size - these are 9x12). Not sure how they'll look, it's dark now so I had a bunch of lights on, but still had to use the auto thing in Photoshop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles6.jpg

How'm I doin' Teach? Need any corrections - additions - sequins and glitter????:D

Aunt P - JJ and I will forever be your long-distance slaves if you will do a pretty WIPalong for us. We'll cyber-wash your laundry and cyber-vacuum your floors and cyber-walk the dog, and anything else you can cyber-think of . . . . :p **boy, I sure do hope JJ goes along with this - sounds like a lot of work, but it'll be worth it!!**

Nandie
11-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Forgive me for bragging.... but this is why I wasn't here to upload the lesson first thing this morning - I was at the Rememberance Day ceremony watching my kids take part with their Air Cadet squadron. Here's my oldest son (with the glasses), standing vigil beside the cenotaph:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/14007-JonRDvigil2_sm.jpg

Anyway, back to business!!

Ant P, always the non-conformist! :) I'm waiting to see how that red bauble with the gold ribbon turns out!

Joann, it's a bit hard to tell from the scan but it looks to me like you are definitely glowing!

Cathie, looks great! And no, glitter and sequins are not allowed!:rolleyes: Methinks with all the bribery you are doing for Ant P, which gets more and more extravagant with each post, maybeeeeeeeee I'll put off posting the next step until you bribe ME a little!!!!!:evil: :angel: :evil: :angel:

joannd
11-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Nandie, you have a right to brag!! Wonderful looking boys you have..

I dont have any chocolate, but I can do some cyber work for you! How's that???

This is so fun...PLEASE give the next step!! PLEASE??

Cathie, your baubles are sooo glowing!!

JoAnn

Remy
11-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Finally,... here is my step three,..had a good excuse teach for why I am slow at posting today,.....was waiting for my sick monitor to arrive back from Puter Hospital :(.

Ok lifted a few soft highlights, added some weak colour back into some white space and added pure pigment into a few areas, plus a little colour in the globes. Hope I got it right.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/18344-deckthehalls3.jpg

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Thank you Andrea and JoAnn - it's definitely getting past the "ugly" stage and into the "hopeful" stage. Soon we'll be at the "please don't let me mess it up now" stage.

So . . . I'm just about out of bribes . . . how about flowers?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/23460-clown__flowers.gif That always works for me!

Edit: Congrats on the sons! It's hard to raise responsible kids, but you're doing a fine job! Good looking, too . . .

idcrisis55
11-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Nice looking boy, Nandie.

Everyone baubles are looking great! I'll post mine tomorrow with the added color.

Ann

Nandie
11-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Remy
Finally,... here is my step three,..had a good excuse teach for why I am slow at posting today,.....was waiting for my sick monitor to arrive back from Puter Hospital :(.

Ok lifted a few soft highlights, added some weak colour back into some white space and added pure pigment into a few areas, plus a little colour in the globes. Hope I got it right.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/18344-deckthehalls3.jpg

P E R F E C T ! ! ! !

**really bad excuse accepted!** ;)

Cathie Jones
11-11-2003, 11:35 PM
I just thought of the perfect bribe . . . RATED THIS THREAD :D :D :D :D :D !
Which, of course, is exactly what it deserves, bribe or not.

:clap:

Nacre
11-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Right on Cathie :D :D :D :D :D it is. We should also offer lattes .choc. a gold star. and a pat on the head. Now do we get the next step?

Aunt P

laudesan
11-11-2003, 11:51 PM
I think we should ALL rate this thread......just at the bottom right hand side for the rate this thread button.....:)

Nandie your boy is sooooooo handsome..wooooo-hooooo you should be so proud indead.....

That's not the bribe this is :D:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-cheers_wine_galss.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-roses.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/22284-group_hug.gif

JJ

Cathie Jones
11-12-2003, 12:02 AM
It's bedtime on the left coast of the USofA, so I'm out of here for now. Have to go back to work tomorrow (dang!) so I'll check in during the day and watch progress, but can't do any painting until tomorrow night.

Good night, Baublers, I'm off to count sheep 1. . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/23460-sheep.gif

Nandie
11-12-2003, 01:28 AM
LOL I love you guys!:D :D

Nandie
11-12-2003, 02:33 AM
I'm posting step 4 now, even though many of you probably aren't quite finished with step 3 yet. I'm going into Vancouver tomorrow morning and will be gone all day, so I don't want to leave you with nothing to do!:rolleyes:

Sooo..... if you are happy with your baubles, and you've done a bit of outlining on your little light bulbs, you can carry on with step 4: FOLIAGE!!!

Here's what you'll be doing today:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls6.jpg

Get out your green (I used Hooker's Green. If you don't have it, choose a nice earthy green that's not too blue-ish) and your script liner brush. You can use a small detail brush for this, but a script liner works way better and holds more paint.

Use fairly strong color (lots of pigment, not too watery) and your script liner to draw in your branches. Try to do each in one fluid motion - I get my elbow off the table and use my whole arm - you get a much smoother line that way.

Once youve done that, mix some yellow into your green to get a nice, pale green. Use this and the script liner again to begin painting pine needles coming off the branches, around the lights only. Look at the detail here to see how they should look:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls6_detail.jpg

These light-colored needles go in and around your halo areas where the branches come close to them. These are the needles that would be reflecting the light, and will help to give your tree that "inner glow" when you add the darker needles later. Make your needles curvey, not straight. Again, a "whole arm" movement helps in creating fluid shapes here. Make sure you show ends of needles peeking out from behind the lights too, as shown.

This is really easy stuff, so have fun with it. I'll check in sometime tomorrow, later in the day - so behave yourselves while the teacher's away, alright? Ant P, do you hear me?!?????
:rolleyes:

gnu
11-12-2003, 03:32 AM
OK I give up..who IS Aunt P ????
thanks Nandie..I'll do this tomorrow... have fun in the big smoke(what we call the city :D)..we'll have fun playing :D:D:clap: :cat:

Bubba's Mama
11-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Oh my, Gill - WHERE have you been???

Aunt P is Nacre - Andrea's Aunt Pearl. She has just joined up with us, is a fantastic artist, and we have adopted her! Nandie wanted us to be good around her, but we have discovered that Auntie P is a hoot!! She is MORE than prepared for us......:evil:

Soooooooo - everybody's round 3 is looking good! Mine is drying - want to wait till daylight to take pic, so will have to wait until I get back from the MDs - have MRI to be done today (UGH) and that means sitting for hours in a cold damp hallway, waiting for my turn in the mean machine............. Can't even take sketching materials with me. Bummer. So will catch up on some legal reading for work. (Oh whoopee, just what I want to do!! NOT!!)

Nandie - handsome son! Can see the family resemblance!! You should be proud of all of the kids.

Am busy hunting up new bribes for you!! How about we all send you a card with our finished product copied to it??? Then you could start your teacher's "Brag Book" !! As a matter of fact, I will even provide the book!

What do you think Baublers? Shall we do this to Nandie? What a Christmas present for her!! If you like this idea, PM me, and I will set up some sort of system to work this out for her!! (Like I need another project right now!!:rolleyes:

Susan

laudesan
11-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawnn it is after 11.30pm.. See my dedication ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/22284-Nandies_card_wip3_opt.jpg

My Hookers Green (M.Graham) looked almost black on the paper, so I used sap green, which isn't much lighter :( Yours looks more like phthalo green ?.........

JJ

Starsprite
11-12-2003, 12:16 PM
NIce pic of your oldest son, Andrea..you must be very proud of him! :)

Okay..I have a question that anyone can answer since Andrea is gone for the day. I notice that a lot of you have color in your little light bulbs...when did we do that step? I can't find it. I think I can figure it out though.... I guess you just add a little of the color the the baubble close by, very diluted wet in wet would be my guess. Anyone? :D

gnu
11-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Starsprite
NIce pic of your oldest son, Andrea..you must be very proud of him! :)

Okay..I have a question that anyone can answer since Andrea is gone for the day. I notice that a lot of you have color in your little light bulbs...when did we do that step? I can't find it. I think I can figure it out though.... I guess you just add a little of the color the the baubble close by, very diluted wet in wet would be my guess. Anyone? :D
Patty, that step was missed accidentally, Nandie added a comment about it later in the thread(not too far back)..nothing was said about what colour,I assumed it would be the colour of the bulb, not the ball, so I did random colours...looked to me like the base and one side were coloured, so that's what I did..I just haven't posted that step on mine here yet..did it last night..:)
I did wet on dry, but I think I'll go in and soften it..
Gill

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Here is my Step 4.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/15669-Baubles_4_WIP.jpg

Ann

Starsprite
11-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Ohhhh...thanks Gil!!! I see now, thanks for explaining how you did yours, and Ann yours really looks nice... I see how you did your light bulbs also. Excellent baubbles I might add! :) :clap:

These are definitely out of the "ugly" stage now! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maddie M.
11-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Everyone's work is looking so good. :cool:

I'm a day behind. Here is yesterday's step, just to prove that I followed directions up to this point. :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/31227-bauble8mm.jpg

I have been reading Ray Hendershot's (http://www.rayhendershot.com/book.html) texture techniques book and looking around for something -- anything -- to spatter :evil:. This background is still bothering me and looking more and more like a likely candidate. It's only paper, right?

-- Maddie

jan willem
11-12-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm trying to follow, but its starting to slip....

Any whey GREAT FUN!

Greets Jan Willem

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Andrea My show opens tommorow so I couldn't wait for you...here is my finshed one....thanks it was fun this is 11X 15
Alan :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/13186-Lights_and_balls.jpg

Nandie
11-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Everyone's work is looking so good. :cool:

I'm a day behind. Here is yesterday's step, just to prove that I followed directions up to this point. :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/31227-bauble8mm.jpg

I have been reading Ray Hendershot's (http://www.rayhendershot.com/book.html) texture techniques book and looking around for something -- anything -- to spatter :evil:. This background is still bothering me and looking more and more like a likely candidate. It's only paper, right?

-- Maddie

**shaking head in utter, absolute DISBELIEF**

You guys are SO BADDDDD!!!! Here I am quickly poking my nose in before I leave for the city and here's Maddie wanting to SPATTER HER WORK OF ART!!!!

No way, lady. Uh-uh. Nope, nope, nope! Read my furry red lips....... NO SPATTERING ALLOWED!!!!!!!

Now can you kids please BEHAVE while I'm gone?!?!!:rolleyes:

'bye!!!!

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawnn it is after 11.30pm.. See my dedication ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/22284-Nandies_card_wip3_opt.jpg

My Hookers Green (M.Graham) looked almost black on the paper, so I used sap green, which isn't much lighter :( Yours looks more like phthalo green ?.........

JJ

I do like your baubles laudesan. Nice glow to them.

Ann

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Starsprite
Ohhhh...thanks Gil!!! I see now, thanks for explaining how you did yours, and Ann yours really looks nice... I see how you did your light bulbs also. Excellent baubbles I might add! :) :clap:

These are definitely out of the "ugly" stage now! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Patty. I was just admiring everyone's baubles. They all look so smooth and thought mine looked kind of patchy. I'll learn though. Looking forward to seeing your next step :)

Ann

Maddie M.
11-12-2003, 02:22 PM

No way, lady. Uh-uh. Nope, nope, nope! Read my furry red lips....... NO SPATTERING ALLOWED!!!!!!!

Now can you kids please BEHAVE while I'm gone?!?!!:rolleyes:

Yes, Ma'am. But let me say just one thing in my defense: Alan didn't follow directions either.

Aside to Alan: You better watch out or you will be drafted to teach one of these WIP lessons. Hint, hint.

-- Maddie
* skulking away with her spattering brushes *

Nacre
11-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Here 's my step four.
:angel:

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM

Yes, Ma'am. But let me say just one thing in my defense: Alan didn't follow directions either.

Aside to Alan: You better watch out or you will be drafted to teach one of these WIP lessons. Hint, hint.

-- Maddie
* skulking away with her spattering brushes *

LOL thanks Maddie do the spattering in your next work... I use it all the time....I don't think Andrea will yell at me....and also jumping ahead I think I missed a step to two and added others lol..

CharM
11-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Andrea, I've been follow-lurking this thread... :evil: You have turned an exercise into a fun project! This has been an interesting read... I love what you're doing and have rated your thread as well... You'll need to get those creative juices flowing again some time very soon to do another of these! I've had so many irons in the fire lately that I couldn't parwipitate ( :D ) in this one, but should you do another I'll certainly be there with baubles on!!!

Cathie Jones
11-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Hey! You guys are getting way ahead of me!!! I'm at work today and they won't let me paint at my desk http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/23460-smiley_angry.gif so I have to wait until tonight to do Step 4.

And Mr. Show-off Alan has finished his!! He definitely owes us a WIPalong for doing that . . . maybe one with spatters for Maddie . . .

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Hey! You guys are getting way ahead of me!!! I'm at work today and they won't let me paint at my desk http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/23460-smiley_angry.gif so I have to wait until tonight to do Step 4.

And Mr. Show-off Alan has finished his!! He definitely owes us a WIPalong for doing that . . . maybe one with spatters for Maddie . . .

LOL I didn't know it wasn't a race .....ask me again in about 2 weeks .... I should be over my show by then....

Cathie Jones
11-12-2003, 03:11 PM
LOL Alan, it's not a race - - it's just frustrating to watch everyone's progress and not be able to work on mine. I'm sure JJ feels the same when we paint while she's sleeping. This WIP has been so much fun . . . and we'll definitely get back to you to do one after your show.

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
LOL Alan, it's not a race - - it's just frustrating to watch everyone's progress and not be able to work on mine. I'm sure JJ feels the same when we paint while she's sleeping. This WIP has been so much fun . . . and we'll definitely get back to you to do one after your show.

I know its not a race....she was working on hers when I was sleeping....it fact it took a few days for me to find this thread!! I know I am too fast and always jump ahead :D

hopefulbucky
11-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Cathie if you think YOUR FRUSTRATED, I am still back on step whatever for the background so have 2 to catch up on. Yes, I have to work outside the home also so doesn't leave a lot of time to keep up with these speedy ladies. But it is sure a fun project and I am learning a lot.

Well we both can work on ours tonight (hopefully)

gnu
11-12-2003, 03:30 PM
added my light needles..(look more like feathers to me!!:D:D)
forgot to soften the bulb colours..oh well..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/7242-IMG_0608xmas_balls_with_light_needles_sm.jpg
Alan..that's a great idea adding this one to your show...
I christened my sythetic script brush for this(I want to use it for acrylics too)..it works great..size 0 ....
PST. Maddie..if you want to spatter or soemthing when you're all done..you could always add some 'artificial snow' to the branches etc :D:D:D ;).

Maddie M.
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Alan, nice to see a guy finally upload something. It felt like we were in an all-girls school until you got here ;). Best of luck on your show. We'll want to hear all about it as soon as you return.

Ann, you did a nice job following Andrea's directions to add the darkest values to your balls. That really made a difference in the highlights as well.

JJ, I followed your suggestion to rate this thread. Enjoyed your group hug, too. How in the world did you ever get your background that even while working around all those shapes?

Hi, Jan, and welcome. We're glad you jumped right in and joined us.

Patty, I'm anxious to see how your dark brown at the top will work. I bet it will be dramatic.

Pearl, I would love to participate in your WIP-along. If you'll agree to teach, I'll sign up for it sight unseen.

Posted by Cathie:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles6.jpg

Cathie, you have a tenebrism going there. By reversing the main highlight on the green ball, you've made the composition glow from a central light source. Interesting.

Remy, yours has looked perfect from Step 1. I like the contrast between the crisp lines of your balls and the soft edges in your background.

Susan, it will be interesting to see the difference between your watercolor and your acrylic. Which do you enjoy painting more?

Gill, you have a painterly style. I can't wait to see it finished. In fact, I can't wait to see them all finished.

-- Maddie

gnu
11-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Ann ...your baubles are great!!
Pearl..your needles LOOK like needles.....:D:D
super cool..past the UGLY BUGLY stage..yipee...

gnu
11-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Maddie..yipee..I HAVE a style?? i was beginning to despair..
I SWEAR my brushes have minds of their own..is that what this painterly means??:rolleyes: :D
your little lights are very believable..can't wait to see your next step...

Maddie M.
11-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by gnu
Maddie..yipee..I HAVE a style?? i was beginning to despair..
I SWEAR my brushes have minds of their own..is that what this painterly means??:rolleyes: :D

Yes, I meant that you can see your brush strokes. The viewer can feel how the artist applied the paint to the paper. Ann's background is another example of painterly.

PST. Maddie..if you want to spatter or something when you're all done..you could always add some 'artificial snow' to the branches etc.
I can't get away with anything today :eek:. How did you know I've already tried it on a practice sheet? Chinese white watercolor didn't work, but white gouache did. :D
' . . ' " . .
: . ' , : " .
.. ', .

-- Maddie

Rieko
11-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Wow, everyone is doing so well. This is surely a nice thread to read and have fun! Great work!

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Alan Cross
Andrea My show opens tommorow so I couldn't wait for you...here is my finshed one....thanks it was fun this is 11X 15

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/13186-Lights_and_balls.jpg

I don't know how I missed this one, but when I started reading the comments I saw you had painted along too Alan. Very nice! Like the glow from the lights and those darks in the tree.

Ann

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Nacre
Here 's my step four.
:angel:

Beautiful green bauble, as are the others. Great job on the highlights too!

Ann

Cathie Jones
11-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Quote: **Cathie, you have a tenebrism going there. By reversing the main highlight on the green ball, you've made the composition glow from a central light source. Interesting.**

Maddie, I'd sure like to say "Thanks, I'm glad you noticed," but instead, I have to say . . . "HUH?" Tenebrism? Reversing the main highlight? I feel very blonde, but you'll have to show me what you mean . . .

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jan willem
I'm trying to follow, but its starting to slip....

Any whey GREAT FUN!

Greets Jan Willem

Hi Jan, just saw your posted baubles and you have some great colors.

Ann

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by gnu
added my light needles..(look more like feathers to me!!:D:D)
forgot to soften the bulb colours..oh well..
Alan..that's a great idea adding this one to your show...
I christened my sythetic script brush for this(I want to use it for acrylics too)..it works great..size 0 ....
PST. Maddie..if you want to spatter or soemthing when you're all done..you could always add some 'artificial snow' to the branches etc :D:D:D ;).

Gill, I bet those light needles will really be nice once those darks are placed in amongst them. Good highlights on your baubles too.

Ann

idcrisis55
11-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Ann, you did a nice job following Andrea's directions to add the darkest values to your balls. That really made a difference in the highlights as well.

-- Maddie

Thanks Maddie :) Andrea laid out the directions so well it was easy to do.

You posted the best way with a multi and I'll have to do that next time lol.

Ann

Maddie M.
11-12-2003, 05:31 PM
"HUH?" Tenebrism? Reversing the main highlight? I feel very blonde, but you'll have to show me what you mean . . .

LOL Cathie. Here's a painting by Jacomo that shows a central light source. The shadows fall away from the light source, in this case, a candle flame. All the highlights face the center. http://www.psu.edu/dept/palmermuseum/otherworks/bigot.denial.html

You don't have the intense darks of this example, but your light source is central because your lowest ball has its main highlight at the top instead of the bottom. Of the two versions you posted together, only the second one is that way.

-- Maddie

Cathie Jones
11-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks, Maddie. I see it now, but think it may be an effect of photographing after dark with a flash. I'll check the real one when I get home. Hmmmm . . . tenebrism. :D

Remy
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Thank goodness we're coming out of the 'uglies',...everyone's paintings are really coming together now an all look great.

Well,..I had no Hookers Green so I used Sap Green with a touch of neutral tint for the branches. Sap Greeen and Lemon Yellow for the needles (all Daler~Rowney,....waiting for my M.Grahams to arrive any day now :D).

I also added slightly more colour (varied), to the little light bulbs and eh hemmm,...added the light bulb and glow under the blue bauble *smacking forehead*.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/18344-deckthehalls4.jpg

Oh,..*raising sucking up to teacher hand* Teach,...Alan is naughty isn't he? He should be punished shouldn't he? I think a WIPalong from him is needed for being so bad.

gnu
11-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Kristin..yours is just so SUNSHINEY...lovely!!! I do love the baubles too..really disciplined placed highlights...They are great...:clap:

gnu
11-12-2003, 07:20 PM
yep yep..*nods Head* a WIPalong from Alan is definite requirement for rule breaking!!!:rolleyes: :D :D
so let me see, that's TWO WIPalongs we can expect in the very near future..:D:D

Starsprite
11-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Here's my Step four..... looking like nobody elses! I sure do have a "style" all my own I must say! LOL :D :eek: I ran out of Hooker's Green so used MaimeriBlu Permanent Deep Green. I added some of the Winsor Yellow to it for the little feathery branches in the halos but hard to tell. I dunno...I just dunno if there's hope for mine. LOL TEACHER!! Help!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/6385-Stepfour.jpg

laudesan
11-12-2003, 08:48 PM
Well they are all looking wonderful.........

MR CROSS :D you are a law unto yourslf :D

Actually I kind of like Andrea's design better sorry.. :evil:

JJ

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by idcrisis55

I don't know how I missed this one, but when I started reading the comments I saw you had painted along too Alan. Very nice! Like the glow from the lights and those darks in the tree.

Ann

Thanks Ann glad you liked it...

Faafil
11-12-2003, 09:52 PM
you think you guys are frustrated... gheesh, I haven't had a chance to paint all week !!! :( I don't even have my drawing done yet... waaahhhhhhhh...... :crying:

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Well they are all looking wonderful.........

MR CROSS :D you are a law unto yourslf :D

Actually I kind of like Andrea's design better sorry.. :evil:

JJ

See thats what I get for not following instructions....but then I never do! LOL

Cathie Jones
11-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Whew! Made it home from work, shoveled dinner, sketched a new Christmas card, and FINALLY - got to Step 4, at least on the two big versions. Here they are, darker than IRL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2003/23460-Baubles8.jpg

Where's Andrea? I can't wait to tell her that while she was gone Gill got STYLE and I got TENEBRISM!!!

joannd
11-12-2003, 11:12 PM
well, I'm still working on my step 4, but I'm not going to show you until tomorrow. It looks horrible to me tonight. Probably too tired! Gonna go watch TV...

Cathy, glad you got tenebrism, and Gill, glad you got style!! (I figured you probably knew you had style!!)

JoAnn

Nandie
11-13-2003, 02:27 AM
How was everybody's day? It's almost 11 pm and I'm finally getting on here to see how everybody made out today! I see there's lots to comment on:

Yes Gill, it's true.... Ant P is my Aunt Pearl (Nacre) and you should watch out for her, she's dangerous!:evil: :angel:

Susan, love your idea. I'd love to have a momento of everybody's work here - you are all doing so great and I'm really proud of all of you! :)

JJ, looks good. Your green was a good choice!

Ann, looks great! Your additions of rich color in those spots really added to the shiney effect of the baubles!

Jan, you are doing just fine. The most important thing here is that you are learning something new, so don't worry if your first effort doesn't appear to be perfect! Make sure your pine needles appear to be coming off the branches - the lights that aren't near branches don't have to have pine needles around them. You are doing great! :)

Alan, thanks so much for joining in - this was too much of a hen party.... wondered when the guys were going to get brave and try this! :) (Even tho' you DIDN'T follow DIRECTIONS, bad boy!):rolleyes: ;)

Maddie, I KNOW ALAN DIDN'T FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS! But he lives just a stones' throw away across the water from me, and he's on the same land mass as Ant P, so together we will yell at him later! (Be afwaid, Alan, be vewy afwaid!) You, on the other hand just need to behave and follow instructions because then yours will turn out better than his, so there!;)

Ant P.... we were just talking about you!:angel: Yup, looks great - but why do you have pine needles growing out of the blue ball???:eek:

Char, thanks... glad you've been lurking!

Cathie, the nerve of your employers not allowing you to paint at work!:rolleyes: Hey! I hear you got "tenebrism"!! Is it contagious?!

Gill, looks good... now you just stop encouraging Maddie with the spattering thing!

Maddie, good observation on Cathie's tenebrism. Didn't notice that.... it's wonderful, isn't it?!

Remy, good job - did I say already that I love your baubles?! Oh, and we will deal with Alan, don't you worry!:evil:

Patty, lol, there's always hope!! Your background is terrific, your baubles look shiney, and the next step will pull things together. You'll see. Now, your green looks a little too bright for realistic branches. Try adding just a touch of red to the green and see if that tones it down a bit to a more "earthy" green.

Faafil, don't despair, just join in when you can! This thread will still be open for business long after the WIP is finished!

Okay, ladies and gentleman, it's late, so the next step will be posted tomorrow. Good night to all in my time zone, and good morning to the rest in upside-down land!:)

gnu
11-13-2003, 03:26 AM
well, I don't know how come Nandie, but you and I seem to be in similar time zones (OK maybe 24 hrs apart!!), you posted last at 8.27 pm my time Thursday the 13th, so at nearly 9.30 pm now, I'll be heading to bed soon too...so how many hours difference are we?..
oh and BTW, you'll notice I said to Maddie to try the spatter thing, after she had finished!!! so technically, she'll just be adding her touches to the complete lesson..that's my excuse... and I are sticking to it!!!:D:D:D (besides, I don't understand snow..I LOVE to see pics of it...:angel: ) I just have sand and sea and stuff here...the mountains are a bit expensive to visit often...

Bubba's Mama
11-13-2003, 07:25 AM
OK everybody - pay attention!!

Nandie has spoken - she would love to have a brag book. Now, I am willing to do alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the work, but need your permission to capture your final image, print it out on photo paper, and create the book for Nandie.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - please PM me with your permission, or your desire to NOT have your final work included in the book. Don't want to violate anyone's copyright laws, here :D

I think the book will be a hoot. You are all doing such wonderful work, and I think it will be an excellent way to thank Nandie for all her hard work.....

Please let me know as soon as you can how you feel about this.

Thanks, all.

Susan

PS - Aunt P - I already know your answer, so no need to PM me.

SSS

laudesan
11-13-2003, 07:35 AM
Sure you can put my painting in Nandies brag book :D:D

Cathie Jones
11-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Gnu, I'll never figure out the time difference between us - I think it's about 14 hours, but not sure. Maybe JJ knows . . . http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2003/23460-ani-alarmclock.gif

Susan, I like your idea. You can copy mine, too. In fact, it might be a good idea if we all sent you better quality pics than the 100k we can post here.

Time to take a quick lurk through the Wash before I get ready for work. Yep, Andrea, this working stuff is a real drag!!! I wonder they'd give me time off if I said I have tenebrism???:D

Nacre
11-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Good morning eveyone 6 :45 am here. will be away til aft. lunch sooo... JJ, Susan be :angel: :angel: 's

Gill ,I have no Idea why people think I am a spot of mischief. :angel:

Andrea my dear , I have no Idea why those needles are growing out of the blue ball , they must have grown there after I posted my pic. I can put a wee branch there perhaps?

''talk later ''Aunt P :) :)

Granny R
11-13-2003, 10:38 AM
This looks like a fun project and I'm going to join in and will be working on the start today. As a newbie, I want to learn all I can
Thank you for this opportunity.
Ruthie

laudesan
11-13-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't feel like an :angel: right now Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh Alans work have rung twice!! It is now nearly 2am :eek: These idiots rang at 1.30am to ask him to work in the morning. He said NO as I have to work. So they ring again 20 minutes later and ask again..... Again he said no They are lucky i didn't answer the phone. Now i am wide awake grrrrrrr..

I am going to have a milo and a ciggy and calm down :(

JJ

GISELADOVE
11-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Andrea, wow.......it's moving so fast.
I am sooooo sorry that I did not
take my paints to my daughters house.
Sitting here (I only have one hour) and
watching everybodys progress is just
great.......but I want to paint too.
Maybe I'll start with student grade colors
that I brought for the kids to paint.
I have the most greatest grandkids.
We've been doing leafes.
Will post them when they are done.

Anyways I am so proud of everyone's
progress. Will be checking back tomorrow.
:D :D :D Have a great painting day.:D

kahlanne
11-13-2003, 11:34 AM
I am a real beginner at painting and thought this would be a good learning experience. I didn't find this post until it was already on step 3 though so I have some catching up to do. I finished steps 1 and 2 and am now working on 3. I fear it is getting worse though. I just can't get the bobbles to do right. Maybe it is just me and they aren't so bad after all. Anyway, I will upload both my first step and second and post more pics along the way. Please let me know if I have done something wrong and where to improve it. I hope it isn't a bother since you have already covered those steps but I really would appreciate it. Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2003/22942-100_0081a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2003/22942-100_0084a.jpg

Alan Cross
11-13-2003, 12:01 PM

Alan, thanks so much for joining in - this was too much of a hen party.... wondered when the guys were going to get brave and try this! :) (Even tho' you DIDN'T follow DIRECTIONS, bad boy!):rolleyes: ;)

Maddie, I KNOW ALAN DIDN'T FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS! But he lives just a stones' throw away across the water from me, and he's on the same land mass as Ant P, so together we will yell at him later! (Be afwaid, Alan, be vewy afwaid!) You, on the other hand just need to behave and follow instructions because then yours will turn out better than his, so there!;)

Remy, good job - did I say already that I love your baubles?! Oh, and we will deal with Alan, don't you worry!:evil:

UH OH!!
Alan :angel:

Granny R
11-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Here is my wip, even though I know I'm at a much earlier stage.
I didn't relaize how far the project had progressed. Never the less, I know I will catch up soon. this really is a fun way to work together on a project.
Ruthie

gnu
11-13-2003, 12:41 PM
KahlAnne and Ruthie..both looking real good..nice n bright!!:clap: :clap:
Sure I don't mind being in a brag book...I'll PM you Susan..
just having my morning cup of tea(coffee later)..it's Friday here..off to the city later, after some art....:) have a good day at work or play everyone...:D

kahlanne
11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Okay here is my step #3 completed...I don't like it and am not sure that it is good enough or right but maybe you all will be able to tell me what to do to make it better before moving on to the next step. Then again maybe it is okay and I should continue on. Being a newbie, I have no way of knowing. LOL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2003/22942-100_0089a.jpg

Cathie Jones
11-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Kahlanne, I'm no expert, but it looks okay to me. The dark part looks pretty dark, but I think it's the photo and not the painting. Anyway, if you don't like it just consider it practice and do it again. IT'S ONLY PAPER!:D

Alan Cross
11-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Granny R
Here is my wip, even though I know I'm at a much earlier stage.
I didn't relaize how far the project had progressed. Never the less, I know I will catch up soon. this really is a fun way to work together on a project.
Ruthie

Granny both you and kahlanne's both look ready for the next step....now where is that teacher??? Hmmm I think you are still one step behind lol .....

Nandie
11-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Alan Cross

Granny both you and kahlanne's both look ready for the next step....now where is that teacher??? Hmmm I think you are still one step behind lol .....

The teacher's here!!!! LOL - I just rolled out of bed an hour ago, fer cryin' out loud and I'm sittin' here in my jammies havin my first cuppa, rubbin' the sleep outta my eyes! I cant even see or talk straight yet!!!

Yyyeeeeeeeeeshhhhh!!!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

Okay, ladies, now that our dear Alan has been sufficiently yelled at (your welcome) :D I'll comment on your astonishing progress!!

Welcome to Granny and Kahlanne!!!! I am impressed to say the least, you both say you are beginners and yet your baubles and backgrounds look wonderful!:eek: :eek: Really, I am truly amazed!

Granny, you are ready to add some more color to those baubles just in a few places to give them richness and depth.

Kahlanne, the only thing you need to do is try to soften the edges of those light haloes if you can. Just use a damp brush and go over the edges until they blend into the brown background.

Gill, I think you and JJ are 14 hours ahead of us. My son has a friend he chats with in Australia on MSN messenger in the evenings when it's morning for her. (if that makes sense!) Oh, and snow is like very, very cold sand! :)

Cathie, lol - tell them you are suffering from tenebrism and see what they say! :D :D

Ant P... maybe that blue bauble just has whiskers??!!;)

Gisela, why not give it a try now with your student paints just to learn the technique... you can always do it again when you get your good supplies!

Okay Alan, you've been sufficiently chastised, so come on back and behave yourself if you can. I dunno... with you and Ant P both living on the same island there's bound to be a tidal wave coming in my direction soon....:eek: ;)

Nandie
11-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Here's where we really start to tie it all together! All you do now is add more needles! Use the same dark green you used for your stems. Using your script liner, begin in the upper left corner and start adding needles to each branch. Use long, curvey motions, in all directions beginning at the stem. When you reach a light that you put light green needles around, make your new needles a bit sparse there, so the light shows through.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls7.jpg

Have a closer look:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2003/14007-Deckhalls7_detail.jpg

See how some of my darker needles do overlap the light ones but mostly let the light show through? Be sure to have a few dark needles comming out from behind too. Look how the dark needles overlap the top of the red bauble and some of the others as well. And look at how the needles are coming out from all directions (but still pointing down and to the right) from the stem. You have to remember that they don't just stick out the sides of the branch, they stick out in all directions, including towards you.

Once you've done this step, the shadows you painted in behind should receed to the background and make a nice support for your branches, adding warmth and contributing to the effect of glow from the lights and baubles.

kahlanne
11-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks Alan and Nandie, I tend to get frustrated really easily because I can see in my mind what I want and in this case see it on the screen but when it comes to making that on paper it doesn't always come out. I know it takes patience and practice, both of which I have little of having only done two watercolor paintings, practices and all, before. I'm learning though and practicing.

Alan, the darks in the picture are pretty accurate at first glance but I did realize later that the green ball and the purple ball all showed up as blue. Hmmm...I don't know why. I have a new digital camera so maybe it is something that I did wrong uploading or something.

Nandie I will work on softening the colors and go on to the next step. Even though you didn't do this just for me, I wanted to truly thank you for this tutorial. You don't know how much I really appreciate it!

Europa
11-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Ooooh looks like I missed out on a great project here - not been on for a few days - wow dont things move fast round here....lol....am definitely going to have a go at this - wont bother boring everyone with the WIP - will just post the finished 'masterpiece' (ok ok - I can dream can't I.....lol)

Pat