PDA

View Full Version : Thingvellir - Iceland

jmchi
05-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Hey everyone - Since you were all so welcoming and provided great feedback for my forest painting, I wanted to throw another one on here. This one is also a recently completed painting - a 24" x 36" inspired by the landscape at Thingvellir National Park in Iceland. I deliberately focused more on the ground plane due to the slight variations in the topography being more interesting than a cloudless blue sky. Would love to hear everyones' thoughts!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2018/2053046-Thingvellir_WC.jpg

Bertoni
05-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Beautiful!

ColinS
05-06-2018, 11:55 PM
I like your use of green. I wonder if the light on the grass would follow the line of sunlight on the water.

LavenderFrost
05-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Nicely done.

~JMW~
05-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Nice.
Since you asked for thoughts...

If something, or a few things, were vertical it would break up the horizontal lines across the work..not always needed but can add interest like one dramatic tree or such..

Avoid strong contrast or hard lines at edges of painting, so eye is not drawn to or out of the work (some use a tree , bushes , rock as an "eye stopper" but not overly detailed to get too much attention) a softer smudged/blurred line works too ..

-a lot more in my siggy tips links..

loobyteacher
05-07-2018, 02:36 PM
I like the variation in color in the sky and background mountains. It makes what you considered boring more interesting.

jmchi
05-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Thanks Bertoni, LavenderFrost, and Colleen. I wouldn't call the skies in Iceland boring, but for the sake of this painting the ground had a lot more visual texture (although I could have added all the clouds I wanted, I am the artist after all).

Colin, now that you mention it, it might be good to go back in and heighten that up a bit. There is a subtle sunlight path when you view it in person but it may not be enough.

JMW, Sadly, there isn't much vertical in Iceland to break up the horizon - which is what makes the landscape so otherworldly there.

jmchi
05-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Edit: oops, had an issue posting!

jmchi
05-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Edit: oops!