PDA

View Full Version : Artist?

Chrisha12
05-03-2018, 10:10 AM
I have a question in my mind to ask.

I love drawing, painting, sketching....... But never was serious about it. I just started painting 2 months ago. I have no degrees in art or done any courses. No certifates. People do say I draw beautifully.

So my question is.......

Can i call myself ARTIST?

Chrisha

bluefish
05-03-2018, 10:24 AM
why not.....you could call yourself 'laborer' or 'driver' or 'artist'.....no educational nor special skill level required....now don't call yourself 'Doctor' unless you have an MD degree or a PhD....

I call myself 'retired'....and no one complains..:lol: best of luck to you...."been there, done that"! :)

WoodyWelch
05-03-2018, 10:39 AM
SURE!!! :thumbsup: :wave: :heart:

talisman
05-03-2018, 10:54 AM
If you feel you are one, then you are.

There are many artists who do fantastic works and are hobbyists and some artists who make a living at it.

They are both artists.

Lots of artists are self taught, what matters is the work you do, and always trying to improve with your next work.

Lady Carol
05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
You can call yourself anything you want.

old_hobbyist
05-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Anybody can call him/herself an artist and many wannabes do just that. Itís what other artists and painters call you that should have greater impact to you.

Chrisha12
05-04-2018, 07:31 AM
why not.....you could call yourself 'laborer' or 'driver' or 'artist'.....no educational nor special skill level required....now don't call yourself 'Doctor' unless you have an MD degree or a PhD....

I call myself 'retired'....and no one complains..:lol: best of luck to you...."been there, done that"! :)

Ha ha ha........

SURE!!! :thumbsup: :wave: :heart:

Thanks!

If you feel you are one, then you are.

There are many artists who do fantastic works and are hobbyists and some artists who make a living at it.

They are both artists.

Lots of artists are self taught, what matters is the work you do, and always trying to improve with your next work.

Thanks!

You can call yourself anything you want.

Thanks!

Anybody can call him/herself an artist and many wannabes do just that. Itís what other artists and painters call you that should have greater impact to you.

Very true! What other artist and painters call you that should have impact to us.

Thanks!

cliff.kachinske
05-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Not necessarily. Many people who paint what they call 'realism' have a lot of disdain for abstract artists, and vice versa.

Bigoted realist: abstract artist can't draw.
Bigoted abstract artist: if you want photorealism, why not just use a camera?

It's how you think of yourself that's important. Just keep in mind Degas said something like, "painting is easy when you don't know how."

hmshood5
05-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Not necessarily. Many people who paint what they call 'realism' have a lot of disdain for abstract artists, and vice versa.

Bigoted realist: abstract artist can't draw.
Bigoted abstract artist: if you want photorealism, why not just use a camera?

It's how you think of yourself that's important. Just keep in mind Degas said something like, "painting is easy when you don't know how."
And always keep in mind: you'll never meet a harsher critic than yourself!

tmwilliams
05-05-2018, 06:32 AM
"And always keep in mind: you'll never meet a harsher critic than yourself!"

Truism!

Chrisha12
05-07-2018, 11:24 PM
Thanks Cliff!

Different people have different opinion. I think We should just believe in ourselves and let go.

Very true!6

And always keep in mind: you'll never meet a harsher critic than yourself!

:thumbsup:

"And always keep in mind: you'll never meet a harsher critic than yourself!"

Truism!

Ellis Ammons
05-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Anything man creates is art. From makin samiches to bulding a house to taking photos, to writing this response.

Anyone who says something isn't art is in fact blind to the beauty around us everyday and is not a true artist.

fedetony
05-08-2018, 02:43 AM
I will call myself " The Most Honourable Sir Lord Dr. Artists Ph.D M.Sc Dipl. Ba. Bs. Federico the Great" or "Federico the Great" for short :D... will print my tittles in personal cards and give them away with the phone number :)...
PS: A title does not reflect what you really are ...

Chrisha12
05-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Anything man creates is art. From makin samiches to bulding a house to taking photos, to writing this response.

Anyone who says something isn't art is in fact blind to the beauty around us everyday and is not a true artist.

I will call myself " The Most Honourable Sir Lord Dr. Artists Ph.D M.Sc Dipl. Ba. Bs. Federico the Great" or "Federico the Great" for short :D... will print my tittles in personal cards and give them away with the phone number :)...
PS: A title does not reflect what you really are ...

"The Earth without ART is just eh"

vegaskip
05-14-2018, 06:55 AM
I call my self a 'painter' one of those 'bigoted' realist guys . I have this wonderful camera that allows me to make pictures of 18th century ships refitting a mast or just sailing. Or my little dog steeling a pie off a table. It can even do unmade beds and piles of bricks. Sometimes it dose strange shapes and splashes of colour!. The drawback with this 'Camera' is that it took more than than sixty years to to learn how to operate it, (I lost the Instructions)

PamJC
05-14-2018, 12:57 PM
I have a question in my mind to ask.

I love drawing, painting, sketching....... But never was serious about it. I just started painting 2 months ago. I have no degrees in art or done any courses. No certifates. People do say I draw beautifully.

So my question is.......

Can i call myself ARTIST?

Chrisha

Hi Chrisha, I don't have any degrees or certificates either. I've just started painting after years of not painting, and a couple of weeks ago I was in Michael's (a craft store) buying a canvas. The cashier asked me if I'm an artist. That caught me off guard, I paused for a brief moment then replied, "ahhhh yes, yes I am". I was smiling so big, I could feel it all over my face as I walked through the parking lot. lol We create art, we are artists! :thumbsup:

Chrisha12
05-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Don't look back unless it's to see how far you have come.

I call my self a 'painter' one of those 'bigoted' realist guys . I have this wonderful camera that allows me to make pictures of 18th century ships refitting a mast or just sailing. Or my little dog steeling a pie off a table. It can even do unmade beds and piles of bricks. Sometimes it dose strange shapes and splashes of colour!. The drawback with this 'Camera' is that it took more than than sixty years to to learn how to operate it, (I lost the Instructions)

Indeed it's a great feeling when someone calls you an Artist. We should be proud of who we are. I completely agree with you. We create Art, We are ARTIST! :)

I came across this quote: "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up". Pablo Picasso

Good luck Pam!

Chrisha

Hi Chrisha, I don't have any degrees or certificates either. I've just started painting after years of not painting, and a couple of weeks ago I was in Michael's (a craft store) buying a canvas. The cashier asked me if I'm an artist. That caught me off guard, I paused for a brief moment then replied, "ahhhh yes, yes I am". I was smiling so big, I could feel it all over my face as I walked through the parking lot. lol We create art, we are artists! :thumbsup: