PDA

View Full Version : 20 year old acrylic materials

Smudger62
05-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Recently opened a shipping crate containing paints ( oil and acrylics) and assorted mediums that I sent from london to Zamboanga Mindanao Philippines in 1997. Including a 1 litre container of Golden Polymer Medium (Gloss) and a tub of Golden Gel Medium semi gloss. Together with a few dozen tubes of Lefranc & Bourgouis Fine Acrylic

Have made a little test and surprisingly they appear to handle and dry normally.

Question; does anyone see any reason why I should not go ahead and use them. In other words, is there a use by date? Bearing in mind box has been stored in average temp of 30 degrees C and 80% humidity.?

Am a slightly reluctant in case everything de laminates in a few months. Thanks your time.

cinderblockstudios
05-02-2018, 03:29 PM
As long as they were sealed you should be fine. If you notice any strange odors coming from the paint though, then it's likely mold and you should toss it.

old_hobbyist
05-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Things that normally indicate problems are strange odor and separation of pigment and vehicle.

DMSS
05-02-2018, 04:10 PM
I have some 20+ year-old tubes of acrylic paint and they work fine. My wife had used them with our kids when the kids were little, and she gave them to me, and surprisingly, most of them work just fine.

Dcam
05-02-2018, 06:14 PM
My really old acrylics smell really bad, but they work.

Colorado_Ed
05-02-2018, 07:19 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't work...

old_hobbyist
05-02-2018, 08:36 PM
The bad smell is usually not mold but one of the additives that can be liberated over long times. The smell is usually acrid. If pigment and vehicle (and the additives) are separated, squeeze out a bunch of paint and thoroughly mix it. The operative word is THOROUGHLY!
BTW, heat is usually the culprit.

Lady Carol
05-03-2018, 03:20 PM
I have some tubes close to 20 yrs old. I find no issue with them. If they are dried then I toss otherwise I use them.

bartc
05-03-2018, 03:25 PM
I have just thrown away a couple of used tubes of my 40 year old acrylic Liquitex heavy body paint. Still using some 30+ year old tubes of theirs and various others. So I see no reason why your acrylics won't work. I've even successfully used some that appear partially drying out from years ago, though that isn't the best experience. They hold up.
You have nothing to lose by trying out your old stash as samples (not serious work if you're nervous about that), leaving them out to dry and seeing what happens.

Smudger62
05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback.