"It's May, it's May, the month of "Yes, you may"
The time for every frivolous whim, proper or im-
It's wild, it's gay, depraved in every way
The birds and bees with all of their vast amorous past
Gaze at the human race aghast
The Lusty Month of May

LavenderFrost
05-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Sunday I was ready to start complaining about the heat, Monday it snowed. Yesterday was sunny but a bit chilly. Wonder what today will bring. Doesn't matter though, I've been trying to catch up with bookkeeping stuff. Why did my husband have to start is own business?

Charlie's Mum
05-02-2018, 10:14 AM
I'm still in hibernation ist's so cold!
Still, it is nice to see the green bursting out on the trees at last ...... almost makes me want to buy plants - but we can have frosts until the end of this month, so I won't rush! :lol:

Katie Black
05-02-2018, 11:14 AM
I love May except for one thing...we get TONS of May Bugs :eek:

I just looked online and the correct name for this bug is cockchafer (unfortunate name) lol!

Anyway, I actually like insects but they fly into my house in droves which is a bit hectic, even for me. :)

Attalus
05-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Me, I loathe all insects except the Select Few: Butterflies, Ladybirds, Dragon- and damselflies. Luckily my resident colony of little bitty spiders keep all the rest of the unwashed away. Recycler, that's me. Bugs into spider food. :angel:

idylbrush
05-02-2018, 03:28 PM
The big joke in Floida is: do you know the difference between a palmetto bug and a cockroach? Answer, when your boss is at the house, it is a Palmetto bug!

ColinS
05-02-2018, 03:57 PM
We are blessedly free of bugs. Occasionally a mosquito will buzz in through the window and we'll say "Oh, do you think we should get screens?"

In August the wasps are bad-tempered.

Weather has been beautiful here. Warm, sunny days. DW planted out the geraniums. I had to drive down from Courtenay yesterday (3 1/2 hours) and the mountains were stunning, still with lots of snow up top. And everything is still 'spring green'. One of my favourite times of year after the rain clouds give up and move north.

Lady Carol
05-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Wasps are always bad tempered

Attalus
05-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Wasps are always bad temperedBorn surly and get more irritable with age :clear:

cliff.kachinske
05-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Wasps are always bad tempered

Not necessarily. Sometimes mud daubers nest in our attic and get into the house. We capture them in empty peanut butter jars. Never been stung.

Yellow jackets, on the other hand, are nothing but evil.

ColinS
05-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Our wasps get really nasty in August and just won't let us eat outside in peace.

Lady Carol
05-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Born surly and get more irritable with age :clear:
Are you characterizing Blue or yourself? Hey, where is he? He is MIA.

Attalus
05-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Are you characterizing Blue or yourself? Hey, where is he? He is MIA.No, I would have said I was born snarky and get snarkier with age. :wink2:

bluefish
05-03-2018, 06:32 PM
"snarky" must be a Lone Star thing......Not MIA, just being a polite individual trying my hardest to keep up with my outstanding peers on this web site!....:angel:

Attalus
05-03-2018, 06:50 PM
"snarky" must be a Lone Star thing......Not MIA, just being a polite individual trying my hardest to keep up with my outstanding peers on this web site!....:angel:Google saith: snark·y
ˈsnärkē/Submit
adjectiveNORTH AMERICANinformal
(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
"the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"

bluefish
05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
now we know why you became a brilliant surgeon,Bill.....you were born with a 'cutting disposition'....(snarky).....:lol: :wave:

cliff.kachinske
05-04-2018, 09:49 AM
now we know why you became a brilliant surgeon,Bill.....you were born with a 'cutting disposition'....(snarky).....:lol: :wave:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-04-2018, 01:27 PM

and Cliff's reply .......... ditto!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink2:

It's actually warm here today .......... repeat, cos I don't know how long it will last) WARM!

LavenderFrost
05-05-2018, 10:16 AM
It's my birthday... 28 again lol. I suppose one of these years I'll have to switch to 38 and holding. This afternoon I'll be taking my son to his friend's birthday party, and later my parents are taking us out for supper.

It's been warm here, darn grass is starting to grow.

Attalus
05-05-2018, 10:38 AM
now we know why you became a brilliant surgeon,Bill.....you were born with a 'cutting disposition'....(snarky).....:lol: :wave:"Surgery is the best modality because it separates the patient from the disease." -my Chief Resident when I was a senior med student :wink2:

bluefish
05-05-2018, 10:47 AM
Happy Birthday Michelle!.....enjoy your dinner out and save some breath to blow ALL those candles out....:lol: :evil: :wave:

cliff.kachinske
05-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Michelle, happy birthday. Take it easy on the Cinco de Mayo margaritas. All that salt is bad for you.

Charlie's Mum
05-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Happy birthday Michelle - and I hope you enjoy everything about it (except for the rise in 'number'!!!!!:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2018/30494-birthday_flowers_and_tigger.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2018/30494-birthday_gang.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2018/30494-HappyBirthdaymouse_cupcake.gif ....... just to get you in the right mood!:)

ColinS
05-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Happy Birthday Michelle!

Going to get the Birthday Bumps?

SusietheModel
05-05-2018, 06:38 PM
now we know why you became a brilliant surgeon,Bill.....you were born with a 'cutting disposition'....(snarky).....:lol: :wave:A friend of mine who is into Louis Carroll described our early relationship as "The Hunting of the Snark." :angel:

talisman
05-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Happy Birthday Michelle!
28 is such a great age...again.;)

Attalus
05-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Happy birthday,Michelle. Yes, I remember 28 well :angel:

It's spelled L-e-w-i-s, child bride. :wink2:

Lady Carol
05-05-2018, 10:00 PM
:thumbsup: brilliant blue

Lady Carol
05-05-2018, 10:04 PM
"Surgery is the best modality because it separates the patient from the disease." -my Chief Resident when I was a senior med student :wink2:pity psychiatric diseases cannot be surgically removed.

Lady Carol
05-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Louis....Lewes......Lewis.....it's all the same.

Chrisha12
05-05-2018, 10:58 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!

GOD BLESS YOU.

It's my birthday... 28 again lol. I suppose one of these years I'll have to switch to 38 and holding. This afternoon I'll be taking my son to his friend's birthday party, and later my parents are taking us out for supper

ColinS
05-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Louis....Lewes......Lewis.....it's all the same.

Not the same. There are songs about Louie Louie but no songs about "Lewis Lewis".

SusietheModel
05-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Happy birthday,Michelle. Yes, I remember 28 well :angel:

It's spelled L-e-w-i-s, child bride. :wink2:Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to, molester man :p

bluefish
05-06-2018, 10:48 AM
does Bill like his po-TAT-oes, 'baked', 'french fried', 'scalloped', ?....:confused: :lol: :wave:

SusietheModel
05-06-2018, 01:30 PM
What would I know? I just eat what he puts on the table. But I would guess braised, then roasted then baked, He makes potatoes Annah which I likes the best. :thumbsup:

Attalus
05-06-2018, 04:14 PM
What would I know? I just eat what he puts on the table. But I would guess braised, then roasted then baked, He makes potatoes Annah which I likes the best. :thumbsup:Heh, I only started making them when you gave me that mandoline for Christmas. For the record, I like Shook Potatoes the best.

bluefish
05-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Shook potatoes....:confused:

they never made it above the Mason-Dixon!......:eek: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
05-06-2018, 05:26 PM
Shook potatoes....:confused:

they never made it above the Mason-Dixon!......:eek: :lol: :wave:Actually. I got it from MFK Fischer. and she was originally from California. Both my boys make potatoes like that. It is the simplest recipe in the world.

ColinS
05-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Just looked up "shook potatoes" as I hadn't heard that term. I think we have been doing something similar for years as oven "roasted" potatoes as an alternative to French fries. We usually dose them with smoked paprika.

Am going to grill a porterhouse steak tonight and maybe will suggest we have the "shook" potatoes. :D

Very "summery" here today. 22 degrees! Yesterday was the same. We had barbecue chicken and ate outside for the first time this year. :clap:

ColinS
05-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Why does food always taste better out of doors?

Our caveman ancestors were so lucky. Barbecue every night. Eating outdoors. Huge mammoth steaks. No worrying about parking at the grocery store.

Why did we civilize?

Lady Carol
05-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to, molester man :p
As my alter ego would say Bwahaaaahaaaa.

Lady Carol
05-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Why did we civilize?we were forced to. It is all the government's fault

Lady Carol
05-06-2018, 07:14 PM
I planted two oak leaf hydrangeas towards the end of last summer. They were diligently watered during some of the hotter days and they actually bloomed. But they were almost about to bloom when purchased. Any way we had a really harsh winter and I thought they were deady bones. But much to my surprise, they now have leaves. Who would have thought.......not me.

bluefish
05-06-2018, 07:21 PM
it's the 'fashion industry's fault'...they wanted to sell those outrageous hats for the Kentucky Derby!:lol: :rolleyes:

SusietheModel
05-06-2018, 08:36 PM
As my alter ego would say Bwahaaaahaaaa. :evil: I like to keep him on his toes.

That recipe for shook potatoes is so easy, even I could make it. Not that I do. :D

Lady Carol
05-06-2018, 08:38 PM
:evil: I like to keep him on his toes. :D
That's the only way to handle blokes.

ColinS
05-06-2018, 09:27 PM
we were forced to. It is all the government's fault

You are right. Someone 5000 or so years ago invented "government" and government began making rules about not roasting mastodon in the middle of the road, and that was the end of free living.

Attalus
05-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to, molester man :p

"I'm the friendly stranger in the black sedan won't you hop inside my car
I got pictures got candy I am a lovable man I'd like to take you to the nearest star
I'm your vehicle baby
I'll take you anywhere you wanna go

I'm your vehicle woman..." :angel:

SusietheModel
05-07-2018, 01:17 AM
Owe know! I guess we have to play Head Coach and the Freshman Cheerleader again! :evil:

bluefish
05-07-2018, 06:40 AM
wow!.....this 'sultry' stuff is getting more exciting than plain old 'acrylic talk'....:angel:

Charlie's Mum
05-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Why does food always taste better out of doors?

Our caveman ancestors were so lucky. Barbecue every night. Eating outdoors. Huge mammoth steaks. No worrying about parking at the grocery store.

Why did we civilize?

Of course, you'd have to go kill a mammoth first Colin!:lol:
We're having a glorious hot Bank Holiday Weekend here - almost unheard of and the sunniest for 40 years or so, 23C ......... have to get things done while it's like this so -

- pressure-washed the main patio (others still to do :()
- mowed the lawn
- cleared and cleaned the greenhouse
- continued dead-heading all the hydrangeas (still 3 to do :eek:) cos all the new growth is now rampant
- also did the washing/laundry

will do more when the main heat has gone from this middle of the day but it's nice to see the outside area looking cleaner and tidier - probably not for long!:lol:

LavenderFrost
05-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Thanks all, I did have a nice supper. Steak and lobster mac and cheese. And took home free dessert. My mom also made me a chocolate roll. She uses real whipped cream. Mmmm.

My dad also gives me all the change he saves over the year which ends up being around $300. And I'm thinking I might need to put it toward a new computer, mine has been making a knocking sound sometimes when I open a folder, sometimes it beeps too. Any computer experts here? Should I be worried?

Wow Maureen, you been busy. I still need start doing some yard work. Didn't even finish cleaning off the garden last year. If only we could surgically remove laziness lol.

Today they are calling for a high of 28 C. That's too hot, but it should cool down again tomorrow.

cliff.kachinske
05-07-2018, 11:11 AM
In the ongoing triumph of hope over experience I divided and planted some hostas (also known as deer celery because the plants look like celery stalks when the deer are done with them) this morning.

cliff.kachinske
05-07-2018, 11:16 AM
MIchelle, you should be worried. The knocking sound is probably your disk drive singing its swan song. Back it up now.

The only other moving parts in there would be the power supply fan or cpu cooler if there is one. Never known them to knock, though.

Attalus
05-07-2018, 12:16 PM
wow!.....this 'sultry' stuff is getting more exciting than plain old 'acrylic talk'....:angel:What we "played" was her passing out right after she posted that and me staying awake another hour and a half working on the Fantasy/SciFi Challenge. :(

LavenderFrost
05-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Good luck with the hostas Cliff. They're nice plants when they live.

PattiLou
05-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Michelle, I agree with Cliff, you need to make a full backup now! Computers that knock are trying to tell you something and it is not good news they are spreading. Good luck on finding the 'One' you like, lol. Of course if you can replace the hard drive you can do that too. I had two fail within the past year. They were both old so no big deal (other than the cost) because I keep everything backed up to multiple portable drives.

I think we are finally in full blown summer now from the way it feels in the afternoons and here we are packed and ready to go exploring for the summer. Only one thing left to do and that is hook the car up to the motor home.

Charlie's Mum
05-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Where are you off to this time Patti? Hope all goes well!:)

What a difference a couple of hours can make .......... this morning it was hot and sunny and I managed to kill a lot of weeds, working in the shade ...... now it's raining, breezy and the temp has dropped by about 10 degrees C ........ back to normal then!:lol:

Painting calls ...... it's Vermeer this month for the DS challenge.:)

Attalus
05-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Supposed to get up to 90 degrees F (32.22 C) today. I think it will make it.:clear:

PattiLou
05-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Where are you off to this time Patti? Hope all goes well!:)Heading west... where ever the road takes us :lol: No plans other than to explore. Glad you had a break in the cold weather, we were close to 90 today last time I looked.

Attalus
05-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Heh, sounds like something Susie would like. Exploring. Me driving, her with her feet on the passenger dashboard with her earbuds in, bebopping along, keeping time slapping her thighs. stopping to grin at me every once in a while... not gonna happen unless she agrees to split the driving.

bluefish
05-09-2018, 06:40 AM
Bill....when Susie drives, do you slap your thighs and grin at her...:lol: :wave:

LavenderFrost
05-09-2018, 10:24 AM
It's dangerous to put your feet on the dashboard.

Good news, hubby says he'll buy me a new computer. Hey, I won't argue, that leaves me money to get a new monitor as well, and maybe splurge on some art supplies that I don't really need. I've been curious to try out Inktense pencils. And then he can use this computer. It hasn't made any noises in a while, maybe it will last yet.

Choosing a computer is hard. I don't want to spend a lot so I think I'll go with a lower end Cyberpower. Best Buy has a couple between $700 and $800.

I finally cleaned off my veggie garden yesterday lol. Today would be nice out except for a strong, cold north wind.

idylbrush
05-09-2018, 10:37 AM
My garden nemesis is rearing it’s ugly head. Here it is called knot grass or nut grass. Very difficult to eradicate. Great for cattle but not so good for the vegetable garden. Have yet to find something that kills it. At best, I can set it back a couple weeks. Nasty stuff.

cliff.kachinske
05-09-2018, 11:03 AM
I've seen some of that nut grass in the yard from time to time. I've been able to pull it if the ground is soft like after a heavy rain.

Attalus
05-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Bill....when Susie drives, do you slap your thighs and grin at her...:lol: :wave:Nope, I read, mostly. Though we do talk (mainly when she complains that I am ignoring her and that she is getting sleepy...) I don't listen to music when I can get out of it, which means "when Susie is out of the car." :angel:

Attalus
05-09-2018, 12:07 PM
My garden nemesis is rearing it’s ugly head. Here it is called knot grass or nut grass. Very difficult to eradicate. Great for cattle but not so good for the vegetable garden. Have yet to find something that kills it. At best, I can set it back a couple weeks. Nasty stuff.Nut grass thrives in challenged soil, which, here in Texas, mean "next to the driveway." I soak the ground, then pull it and then forcefully inject 50cc of Round-Up into the hole. Yeah, I know they claim Round-Up is inactivated by contact by the soil, but it seems to work.:

Charlie's Mum
05-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Trouble with that stuff is, leave a tiny bit of root and it thrives! :( I try to dig it up but when it's mixed with 'good' plants, it's hard to get at!
Not sure if you get couch grass over there too but that looks like coarse grass and is difficult to get out of the borders .... spreads by rhizomes and is tenacious!

My worst stuff is mares' tail - that ancient fern-like spiky stuff which likes clay soils - it's thriving this year ..... I bash it with the spade to damage it and then try to kill it even tho' I don't like using chemicals ...... it survives -no wonder it's one of the oldest plants on the planet! Grrrr.

SusietheModel
05-09-2018, 01:00 PM
It's dangerous to put your feet on the dashboard.

I like to live dangerously. :clap: and pretend I am immortal. Well, I am, so far. :smug:

He did get the nut grass eradicated down by the driveway. I dunno why it bothered him so much, it looked just like Bermuda to me :confused:

cliff.kachinske
05-09-2018, 03:44 PM
I don't listen to music when I can get out of it, which means "when Susie is out of the car." :angel:

I hope you mean while driving.

Attalus
05-09-2018, 03:52 PM
I hope you mean while driving.Well, yes. I never listen to music in the house, and S. has got her infernal device with the earbuds so she can go bebopping along doing her chores. She particularly enjoys her feather duster. :rolleyes:

Lady Carol
05-09-2018, 10:23 PM
I like to live dangerously. :clap: and pretend I am immortal. you do know life is terminal? It is a disease that no one survives.

Lady Carol
05-10-2018, 09:03 AM
I am a little annoyed today. I slept poorly as I was supposed to teach immunology to the med students this morning with a colleague. I always sleep poorly before teaching as I worry too much about it. Any way, I started an experiment yesterday and decided to get in early to do the next step, then go teach and then get bored for 2 hours in a faculty meeting. I braved the early morning rush hour traffic, etc. I get here only to discover that my colleague does not "need" me.

LavenderFrost
05-10-2018, 10:08 AM
I never heard of nut grass but we have quack grass. I see it's already growing where it shouldn't. Trouble is it gets inside a plant or shrub so there's no way to completely get rid of it.

Yeah, we're all going to die, but the airbag pushing your knees through your head wouldn't be a nice way to go. Unless you don't have an airbag on the passenger side.

Not a good way to start the day Carol.

cliff.kachinske
05-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Bill: no music at all?

Carol: emps.

Michelle: maybe with a duck call you could lure it out into the open. Duck, quack, get it. Ha ha.

I think dying from a foot-on-dash air bag explosion would be the lesser of two evils.

Lady Carol
05-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Not a good way to start the day Carol.
I have to agree.

Thanks for the emps Cliff

Charlie's Mum
05-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Bad start Carol ......... OR ....... just think of the extra work you did earlier and then find something much nicer to fill the spare time given you! ......... I know, too late now :(
Sleep better tonight!:)

Been to dentist to review a cracked tooth ....... an emergency appointment with another dentist a couple of weeks ago at least eased the pain and it's not bothering me now - just a little sensitive to pressure - so my dentist is trying to make it last as long as poss - as long as the cracks don't deepen/widen I should be OK - fingers crossed.
Back to cold winds again so not venturing to garden - but it is nice to see the trees in full leaf now.

Michelle, that sounds like our couch grass (https://www.google.com/search?q=couch+grass&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=0Tcd9Pwz-X3IjM%253A%252CMXTscaXwp-3eGM%252C_&usg=__kyDz6X6fCvR5X7RZcM1LEW_Pwvw%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir-8zrw_vaAhXKAMAKHSU-CnwQ_h0IvwEwCw#imgrc=0Tcd9Pwz-X3IjM:).:(

Attalus
05-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Bill: no music at all?

.Not unless the ice cream man goes by or some cursed teenager drives by with his car sound system going at full blast." BUMP!...BUMP!...BUMP!..."

I prefer quiet.

Nice day here today. A walk may be in the picture. :)

Lady Carol
05-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Bad start Carol ......... OR ....... just think of the extra work you did earlier and then find something much nicer to fill the spare time given you! (
Agreed. Done everything for today and now I can leave before 2 :smug:

Sorry about the tooth.

SusietheModel
05-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Yeah, we're all going to die, but the airbag pushing your knees through your head wouldn't be a nice way to go. Unless you don't have an airbag on the passenger side.
Hey, at least it would be quick. Who really wants to live forever, anyway?:wave:

cliff.kachinske
05-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Maureen, sorry to hear about the cracked tooth.

Charlie's Mum
05-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Aww, thanks Cliff :)

Attalus
05-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Let me add my condolences to Cliff's. I have no advice to offer, as they teach you nada about teeth in medical school. Must be a union rule or something.

cliff.kachinske
05-10-2018, 09:59 PM
I have at least one cracked incisor, happened long ago. Never hurt or caused any other problem.

Attalus
05-10-2018, 11:03 PM
I chipped an incisor when I was like 13. When I finally got into surgical practice (16 years later), my neighbor the dentist put in a cement plug. He told me not to bite into apples and I never have, since. That would be nearly forty years ago.

LavenderFrost
05-11-2018, 10:22 AM
No apples to keep the other doctors away?

Yeah Maureen, just look it up... also commonly known as couch grass, twitch grass, quick grass, scutch grass, and devil's grass. It's a pain but makes a good noise maker when you put a blade between your hands and blow on it. Maybe that's why it's called quack grass.

I have a cracked tooth that was repaired, and a large filling on the other side that has been redone once or twice. I never know which side to chew on lol. Also chipped my front teeth, especially the bottom ones. Had those repaired and then one repair fell out. So yeah, I can sympathize with tooth problems.

idylbrush
05-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Couch grass, that is quite similar. Nasty little thing. Just when you think you have it gone, it pops up all over the garden.

SusietheModel
05-11-2018, 01:01 PM
No apples to keep the other doctors away?

I can testify that he eats apples by slicing them with a knife. The man has a thing about knives.
Re: teeth. I had one of my incisors knocked out once upon a time. While I was being rushed to the ED, one of the cops at the scene found it, wrapped it in wet gauze, and ran it to the hospital. They replanted it at the same time as my other surgeries, and I still have it. It has a slightly bluish tinge which has caused some half-witty remarks from some of my so-called friends. :rolleyes:

bluefish
05-11-2018, 02:17 PM
great idea for this months theme.....instead of 'girl with a earring', you could all paint...are you ready for this???......"girl with a blue tooth"..:lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

SusietheModel
05-11-2018, 03:01 PM
great idea for this months theme.....instead of 'girl with a earring', you could all paint...are you ready for this???......"girl with a blue tooth"..:lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:Like I say, "so-called friends." :p

Attalus
05-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Like I say, "so-called friends." :pHey, what are friends for? :wink2:

bluefish
05-12-2018, 06:55 AM
Susie....I just couldn't resist 'kidding' you a little....:lol: :wave: ....your 'good friend, blue'....:wave:

cliff.kachinske
05-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Susie....I just couldn't resist 'kidding' you a little....:lol: :wave: ....your 'good friend, blue'....:wave:

Bluefish, you are a good friend to a lot of people on this forum. I'm happy to be counted among them.

LavenderFrost
05-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Well this made me wonder where bluetooth got its name. Gotta love google.

"Bluetooth was borrowed from the 10th-century, second king of Denmark, King Harald Bluetooth; who was famous for uniting Scandinavia just as we intended to unite the PC and cellular industries with a short-range wireless link."

bluefish
05-12-2018, 12:13 PM
so 'bluetooth' didn't originate in Texas, after an accident....:angel: you learn something educational on here daily...:rolleyes:

thank you Cliff...appreciate your comment!:wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Michelle, I learnt that a couple of weeks ago when watching a programme about Scandinavian kings/ history - whoda thunked it!!!..... the ancient kings are interesting!
There's quite a connection with the Vikings and Britain, particularly here in the north.

Attalus
05-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Heh, maybe Harald got his partially knocked out and reset by some Scandinavian proto-dentist.
I claim nerd point for thinking of Harald "Bluetooth" the first time I ever heard of that thingamabob.

SusietheModel
05-13-2018, 01:36 PM
so 'bluetooth' didn't originate in Texas, after an accident....:angel: you learn something educational on here daily...:rolleyes:

Alas, there was nothing accidental about it except me being in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

bluefish
05-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Oy Vey!....do we have a interesting discussion item....did 'bluetooth originate from King Harald Bluetooth of Denmark or in Texas, not accidentally, but by being in the wrong place at the wrong time!...:confused: :eek:

only your intellectual comments can realize an answer.....:angel: :wave:

cliff.kachinske
05-13-2018, 03:53 PM
I think maybe Harald got his the same way: wrong place, wrong time.

'Cause I don't think unifying the Danes occurred without a degree of dissension.

The computer 'bluetooth' has that name because it enables unity among many different devices.

Attalus
05-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Heh, Susie has tried to bleach that darned thing numerous times, but the dental folks tell her that it is not in the enamel, but the dentin, which got bloodstained and is not reachable through topical applications. I barely can notice it til she grimaces and says, "See!!" :)

bluefish
05-13-2018, 09:41 PM
A 'history lesson'......

in Texas, we have a lovely who grimaces and says 'see'...and we see 'bluetooth'!

in Denmark we have King Harald Bluetooth, under 6 feet of good earth and we see no 'bluetooth'!

:lol: :smug:

Charlie's Mum
05-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Ah, but is he underground Blue? ....... or was he given a Viking funeral and waved off to Valhalla in his flaming ship? ........ and now I just know someone will Google that to find out!:lol: :lol:

'Tis a nice day so I must go mow the lawn - then I can paint with a clear conscience!:D

bluefish
05-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Oy Vey Maureen!....now I have to look at the Ocean, look for a 'flaming ship' and see if someone 'grimaces' revealing "bluetooth"...

Oy Vey!....in the 'old days' we just talked 'acrylic paint', not all this highly technical jargon!....mind boogling! :lol: :angel: :rolleyes:

LavenderFrost
05-14-2018, 10:24 AM
I'll change the subject for you blue. I forgot to post my second attempt at a beaded egg. I think I'll stick to painting them, it's easier.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2018/104871-BeadedEgg2_800x610.jpg

And I have to share my mother's day card, I found it quite amusing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2018/104871-MothersDayCard2018.jpg

Diamond is our dog, btw. And I think I'm funnier than hubby lol.

bluefish
05-14-2018, 02:09 PM
love the Mom's day greeting....enjoy every minute because they are grown and gone before you can say 'WOW, that egg is spectacular!.....it would be ashame to fry it with ham.....:smug:

seriously, a great job.....it's beautiful.....:thumbsup:

Attalus
05-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Great looking egg, Michelle. My mother, alas, has gone before, so I am not gonna be able to post anything clever. I did give Susie a new FitBit as she broke hers. We sent her Mom a bouquet, always welcome, right?
Wonderful day, here! I got up early (for me) and went for my walk to avoid the afternoon heat, and it was cloudy with a nice breeze. Susie tells me that she has gotten my May projects (here and F-SF) scanned and posted. So, that's done.

Charlie's Mum
05-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Gorgeous egg Michelle - they'll make lovely gifts!

Such a delightful card to receive from your boy - had to laugh because there's an advert here for Andrex toilet rolls in which children say (the paper is) 'soft as ......... ' and give such weird answers! :lol::lol:

Got the lawn mowed, went shopping for Aliz Crimson to Hobbycraft - disgusted because they're reducing stock to one professional grade paint (Cryla which I'm not keen on) and half the store is blocked off - wonder if they're on the point of going into receivership or something!
Came home and got engrossed in my painting and forgot about dinner - until a phone call made me stop!:lol:
Nice when that happens!:)

Attalus
05-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Got the lawn mowed, went shopping for Aliz Crimson to Hobbycraft - disgusted because they're reducing stock to one professional grade paint (Cryla which I'm not keen on) and half the store is blocked off - wonder if they're on the point of going into receivership or something!
Came home and got engrossed in my painting and forgot about dinner - until a phone call made me stop!:lol:
Nice when that happens!:)That's one big reason I buy my paint on the Internet. I can always find the brand I'm looking for (except Liquitex Navy Blue, curse them! :envy: ) Reminds me of what Roger Welsch said in one of his books: when you find somethng you like, buy a LOT of it, because they'll soon quit making it.

bluefish
05-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Bill....Thalo Blue + Black(Mars?)=Navy Blue....:thumbsup:

Maureen....can't believe you would paint thru dinner....:lol: :rolleyes:

Attalus
05-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Bill....Thalo Blue + Black(Mars?)=Navy Blue....:thumbsup:

Maureen....can't believe you would paint thru dinner....:lol: :rolleyes:Thanks, blue. I could make it, but I'd rather squirt it and put the cap back on. I am basically lazy :angel:

SusietheModel
05-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Yeah, he's lazy. That's why walked five miles today and then he cooked dinner and cleaned up the kitchen before he sat down to do his reading. :rolleyes:

Attalus
05-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Thanks, Sweetie, but I am, you know. I hate wasting paint. I can paint a whole canvas of dappled sea waves with some Liquitex Navy Blue and a little Titanium White. :crying:

bluefish
05-15-2018, 09:08 AM
you mean he didn't watch 'dancing with the stars'?....how will he be able to join in the conversation with the ladies at the morning 'coffee clouch' :lol: :rolleyes:

bluefish
05-16-2018, 07:51 AM
we need an interesting subject in here like "what's the weather in Missouri?' or "5 days till we are blown away with Woody's revealing"....:lol: :wave:

LavenderFrost
05-16-2018, 10:05 AM
The weather in Manitoba... really hot yesterday and freezing cold today.

bluefish
05-16-2018, 11:41 AM
thank you Michelle for enlightening is....:thumbsup:

Attalus
05-16-2018, 01:29 PM
The weather in Manitoba... really hot yesterday and freezing cold today.Opposite, here. Well, not freezing cold. Cold as my granddaddy's air conditioner, maybe. :clear: Nice, anyway :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-17-2018, 07:11 AM
Sun's shining here today but cold wind, so just around 12C ....... low to mid 50sF? Can't garden today though so doesn't matter - our weekend might be warmer :)

Is that boring enough for you Blue?:lol:

bluefish
05-17-2018, 07:56 AM
it's been raining here for over a week with no let up in the future....flood warnings out....never have seen a stetch of rain lasting this long...very depressing...need your sunshine Maureen!.....both internal as well as external...:angel: ;) :wave:

LavenderFrost
05-17-2018, 09:59 AM
It's finally raining here! It's been very dry and fires have been burning all over the countryside for a couple of weeks or so. The firefighters will be happy to get a break. At least the fires have mainly been in fields.

idylbrush
05-17-2018, 10:40 AM
At last, it’s raining here in Florida. Purchased tomato stakes. Have fruit set. Found out my grass is not knot grass but in fact, torpedo grass. Much worse. Even more difficult to eradicate.

Got tomato stakes in the ground and started trying plants. Moving along.

Attalus
05-17-2018, 12:06 PM
My tomatoes have been in the ground for three weeks. Already seeing some good growth. Zucchini and yellow squash, too. Even the radishes are poking up tiny heads.
OTOH, I finally had to turn the a/c on, :(

bluefish
05-17-2018, 01:40 PM
AC?....I just turned the heat up.....it's chilly with all this rain....:wave:

Attalus
05-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Yeah. This is the start of the time when we in the South start envying you folks up North. Plus, you've got Stephanie Plum :envy:

Attalus
05-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Anybody else get Jerry's email on the winner of their $5000 contest? Looks like acrylics to me. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2018/1992124-Lynn_S.jpg

cliff.kachinske
05-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Tomatoes; wish I could. Chased three deer out of the back yard this AM. I think tomatoes are their fave food after hostas.

bluefish
05-17-2018, 07:30 PM
WOW..lovely!....and the painting is interesting to!..:angel:

Attalus
05-17-2018, 08:45 PM
WOW..lovely!....and the painting is interesting to!..:angel::lol:

PattiLou
05-18-2018, 08:57 AM
We had a downpour yesterday afternoon (we are back in Florida... short trip). Needed the rain, the ground was so dry it was like dust.

DH hurt his leg, that is why we are back in Florida and he won't listen to any advice. Went to the doctor yesterday morning. He has a strain and internal bruising. Doc said to put ice on for swelling and then heat for pain. Now where did I here that before... couldn't be what I told him to do cause I know nothing as just the lowly wife. :lol: Men!

Last night a little tree frog got in the door. They lurk around the door frame and when you go in or out they make there entry. Then I have to chase them all over the kitchen trying to catch them and release them back outside. They can jump a long distance and boy are they fast... got my exercise before retiring to the bed.

LavenderFrost
05-18-2018, 10:07 AM
I have two beans growing in the window. lol Son saw a beanstalk growing kit in the Scholastic book catalogue and wanted it but I said we don't need to spend $12 to grow a bean. So I took two clear plastic cups so we can see the roots and we planted a bean in each one. That was a week ago and they have pushed their way up out of the soil.

Torpedo grass sounds bad.

If that's how you win $5000 I guess I'm painting all wrong lol.

Ten foot fence, Cliff.

Ah Patti, that's men. At least he went to the doctor.

cliff.kachinske
05-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Patti, I'm sure he wasn't ignoring your advice. I bet this was his thought process:

1. I am an invincible male.
2. And yet, my leg hurts. Ow.
3. There must be several broken bones in there.
4. Doctor!!!

On a side note, do the tree frogs get on your window screens at night? My parents' house used to have tree frogs on the screens until the area got too developed and the little froggies disappeared.

SusietheModel
05-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Do y'all think that the fact that she is a pretty blonde had anything to do with her winning the prize? :envy:
Re: Men going to the doctor. My man *Is* a doctor. How many times has he gone to another doctor since we have been together, in ten years? Three: right cataract, left cataract, and subdural hematoma. Yearly checkup? hahahaha! :lol: If he can get up, cough it up, and...well one other thing, he feels good to go.

bluefish
05-18-2018, 02:53 PM
WOW..bet Woody would like to paint her...and with the $5000, she could buy the painting!....:lol: :wave:

cliff.kachinske
05-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Do y'all think that the fact that she is a pretty blonde had anything to do with her winning the prize? :envy:

No.

Attalus
05-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Heh, I don't think so, either. I am no big fan of abstraction, but I could see that painting on the wall of a very nice home. Not mine, I don't have the wall space. :lol:

PattiLou
05-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Patti, I'm sure he wasn't ignoring your advice. I bet this was his thought process:

1. I am an invincible male.
2. And yet, my leg hurts. Ow.
3. There must be several broken bones in there.
4. Doctor!!!

On a side note, do the tree frogs get on your window screens at night? My parents' house used to have tree frogs on the screens until the area got too developed and the little froggies disappeared.
I'm sleeping at night and have never checked, lol. I am sure they are there, they are all over the house, the shed and everything in between. If it rains they are loud but I kinda like to hear them. I just would rather they didn't come in the house, they might jump on the bed in the middle of the night and then who knows what would happen. I would look to see what it was but DH would start smacking at it without knowing what it was.

And yes, that does sound like his thought process... leg hurts, ignore it even if the swelling does not go away and he can hardly walk, then finally there must be broken bones so off to the doctor. Then ignore the wife and the doctor so that it is hurting worse today. :confused:

PattiLou
05-18-2018, 07:59 PM
By the way I don't think that looks like a painting at all, more like something where the brushes were cleaned off or spilled paint after trying to wipe it up. Can you tell I don't like 99.9% of abstract art. I have seen a few where the colors are nice. It is kinda like music. I like music with more than three words and I can understand what they are saying. :lol:

cliff.kachinske
05-18-2018, 11:08 PM
I like music with more than three words and I can understand what they are saying. :lol:

"And a vun and a two ..."

bluefish
05-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Cliff...you are watching to much 'Laurence Welch'......"vun, two...."

bluefish
05-19-2018, 07:28 AM
:confused:

ColinS
05-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Ended up awake with DW and watched the Royal wedding at 4:30 this morning. Went off very well. That older American divorcée (:D) that Prince Harry married looked beautiful, and the music was stunning. They looked very much in love.

Fingers crossed for them that the paparazzi give them enough space. :crossfingers:

Attalus
05-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Today, ordered the canvas (18 x 24") for my next project: to emulate and pay tribute to Geoff Hunt. Hope the next Challenge will fit, but if not, well...

cliff.kachinske
05-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Cliff...you are watching to much 'Laurence Welch'......"vun, two...."

Not so much, but it was a staple at my parents' house. They both came from the upper midwest, where people enjoyed polka dancing to accordion music.

PattiLou
05-19-2018, 05:31 PM
"And a vun and a two ..."
Ha, I am that old and I admired his dexterity in the fingers but preferred other choices. :lol:

cliff.kachinske
05-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Ha, I am that old and I admired his dexterity in the fingers but preferred other choices. :lol:

I was much too young to appreciate it at the time, but I saw Viola Turpeinen perform at a Finnish hall in northern MN.

Katie Black
05-19-2018, 08:06 PM
I liked the abstract painting! Yes, she is cute but you can be cute and paint ya know! :cat:

I watched a bit of the wedding today, and they do appear to be in love. :heart:

I'm having a terrible time at the moment with ants! We are under siege. :eek: It all started about six months ago when I first noticed groups of them wandering around my lounge. I could not find where they were hiding. Then, about a month ago I discovered a huge nest in my computer room which we got rid of but I knew there was more someplace.

Then, a few days later after that I found a nest in my bedside cabinet!! Things have gone from bad to worse because a couple of days ago my husband sat on one of the sofas and TONS of ants streamed out of it..it freaked me out!! The sofa is now upside down and outside in the yard with the underside cut open which is where we found a nest from Hell. Inside were large ants, small flying ants and HUGE flying ants.

Unfortunately the huge flying ants have migrated to my bedroom next to the lounge. I have had to move out of my room while it was being sprayed. I have MCS which is why we can't fumigate the house. The large flying ants are almost 2" long and it will take me some time to recover I think.:lol:

Attalus
05-19-2018, 08:40 PM
One of the most memorable nights during our trip to Britain was seeing the Edinburgh Tattoo. Loved the piping.

Attalus
05-19-2018, 08:46 PM
I liked the abstract painting! Yes, she is cute but you can be cute and paint ya know! :cat:

I watched a bit of the wedding today, and they do appear to be in love. :heart:

I'm having a terrible time at the moment with ants! We are under siege. :eek: It all started about six months ago when I first noticed groups of them wandering around my lounge. I could not find where they were hiding. Then, about a month ago I discovered a huge nest in my computer room which we got rid of but I knew there was more someplace.

Then, a few days later after that I found a nest in my bedside cabinet!! Things have gone from bad to worse because a couple of days ago my husband sat on one of the sofas and TONS of ants streamed out of it..it freaked me out!! The sofa is now upside down and outside in the yard with the underside cut open which is where we found a nest from Hell. Inside were large ants, small flying ants and HUGE flying ants.

Unfortunately the huge flying ants have migrated to my bedroom next to the lounge. I have had to move out of my room while it was being sprayed. I have MCS which is why we can't fumigate the house. The large flying ants are almost 2" long and it will take me some time to recover I think.:lol:Katie, my first thought was POISON, :envy: but I had already figured there was some reason for you not to use it. How you get rid of ants without "better living through chemistry" is beyond me. I found a bunch a few years ago on that part of the kitchen counter that has the condiment canisters, and I first washed them off with bleach and then used Black Flag all over. They never came back. But I do know why you don't resort to that. You have my sympathies. :(

bluefish
05-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Katie....we promise to stop 'bugging' you!.....hope your ant situation clears quickly....don't let them get into your 'famous washing/laundy'....:thumbsup: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Wow Katie - horrendous! I gt a few in the kitchen and panic - wash everything down and then spay anti-ant-stuff around the skirting boards - usually controls them - but having the plague you describe? - crikey, sounds like on of the Biblical Plagues! You have my sympathies tenfold!

BlueAC?....I just turned the heat up.....it's chilly with all this rain.... - sympathies for you too with all the rain and I'd def. send the sunshine if I could! We've had two hot days - today too though it's cloudier. I'll blow some warmth your way :D

Lovely day for THE wedding - and I do like to see all the guards of honour and the cavalry men in the dress uniforms ..... the cellist (19 yrs old!) was brilliant, as were the choirs from both sides of the pond.

Michelle, I remember that as small children at school (I know it's a long way back!!!) we all grew beans or peas in that manner - we'd check everyday to see whose had grown most ....... but then, we also had Nature Tables with mini-ponds so we could watch the frog spawn hatch ... and learnt how to identify wild flowers and trees etc ........ not sure they do those things now!

Glad those of you who need the wet stuff are getting it - it's surprising how quickly the soil can dry out - and that makes it difficult to get the weeds out that seem to thrive regardless of conditions!
I have some plants in the greenhouse - but just to protect them before planting out of filling tubs and baskets. Haven't grown toms for a few years - keeping thinking about it now I don't go away from home.... but having filled in my tomato trench in the greenhouse I'd need generous sized posts for them. Maybe .......... :)

What I'd like to know about that abstract painting above - did she very carefully choose each shade and colour then carefully plan each shape and paint it? ......... or did she paint that orange base coat and then throw paint at it? How random v how planned was it all?

Thoughts on a postcard please!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Blimey - that was a long post - it's cos I've been missing for 3 days! :lol:

ColinS
05-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Katie that sounds like a horror movie with those ants. Almost two inches long?

LavenderFrost
05-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Omg Katie, that sounds horrible! Do they bite? I'm sure you must have googled it already but you can find a list of chemical free ways to get rid of ants.

Maureen, my son's class did plant some stuff in school, which was another point I brought up, but he insisted we plant beans at home. He sure gets excited to see how much they grow each day.

We went to a wedding yesterday, I bet it was more fun than the royal wedding. lol Of course my favourite part is the food. I'm not much of a dancer so once we watch the wedding party dance I'm ready to go home.

bluefish
05-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Maureen...in reply to your observation of the abstract painting.....as soon as I can take my eyes off the artist, I'll wonder over to the painting and report....:angel: :lol: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2018, 11:17 AM
^^^ :lol::lol::lol:

Katie Black
05-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Katie, my first thought was POISON, :envy: but I had already figured there was some reason for you not to use it. How you get rid of ants without "better living through chemistry" is beyond me. I found a bunch a few years ago on that part of the kitchen counter that has the condiment canisters, and I first washed them off with bleach and then used Black Flag all over. They never came back. But I do know why you don't resort to that. You have my sympathies. :(

They have gone!! The nest was in the sofa and the soft is outside. The bedroom is clear as well..Praise be :lol:

Katie Black
05-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Katie....we promise to stop 'bugging' you!.....hope your ant situation clears quickly....don't let them get into your 'famous washing/laundy'....:thumbsup: :wave:

Yep, its all clear and clean now..although I feel a bit icky after the whole ordeal.

Katie Black
05-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Wow Katie - horrendous! I gt a few in the kitchen and panic - wash everything down and then spay anti-ant-stuff around the skirting boards - usually controls them - but having the plague you describe? - crikey, sounds like on of the Biblical Plagues! You have my sympathies tenfold!

Blue - sympathies for you too with all the rain and I'd def. send the sunshine if I could! We've had two hot days - today too though it's cloudier. I'll blow some warmth your way :D

Lovely day for THE wedding - and I do like to see all the guards of honour and the cavalry men in the dress uniforms ..... the cellist (19 yrs old!) was brilliant, as were the choirs from both sides of the pond.

Michelle, I remember that as small children at school (I know it's a long way back!!!) we all grew beans or peas in that manner - we'd check everyday to see whose had grown most ....... but then, we also had Nature Tables with mini-ponds so we could watch the frog spawn hatch ... and learnt how to identify wild flowers and trees etc ........ not sure they do those things now!

Glad those of you who need the wet stuff are getting it - it's surprising how quickly the soil can dry out - and that makes it difficult to get the weeds out that seem to thrive regardless of conditions!
I have some plants in the greenhouse - but just to protect them before planting out of filling tubs and baskets. Haven't grown toms for a few years - keeping thinking about it now I don't go away from home.... but having filled in my tomato trench in the greenhouse I'd need generous sized posts for them. Maybe .......... :)

What I'd like to know about that abstract painting above - did she very carefully choose each shade and colour then carefully plan each shape and paint it? ......... or did she paint that orange base coat and then throw paint at it? How random v how planned was it all?

Thoughts on a postcard please!:lol:

I wish I had taken a photo!

Re the abstract painting. To me, it looks like she painted the whole canvas orange first as a base coat. Then, after selecting her palette it looks like she used a silicon wedge (rather like using a credit card) and applied layer after layer.

I used to live in the North East, a place called Hexham, which you probably know of.

Katie Black
05-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Katie that sounds like a horror movie with those ants. Almost two inches long?

Yep, I swear its true. I never exaggerate these things. In fact, if another one pops up I will take a photo. :smug:

I am not even sure I can have the sofa back inside. There is something repellent about it now.

Katie Black
05-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Omg Katie, that sounds horrible! Do they bite? I'm sure you must have googled it already but you can find a list of chemical free ways to get rid of ants.

Maureen, my son's class did plant some stuff in school, which was another point I brought up, but he insisted we plant beans at home. He sure gets excited to see how much they grow each day.

We went to a wedding yesterday, I bet it was more fun than the royal wedding. lol Of course my favourite part is the food. I'm not much of a dancer so once we watch the wedding party dance I'm ready to go home.

I dont know..I dont think so. Anyways, they've gone..I'm left feeling itchy and frazzled. My bedroom was cleaned from top to bottom yesterday with cloro and I slept in there last night with no problem. I'm normally good with insects but this really freaked me out.

Its years since I have been to a wedding!

Attalus
05-20-2018, 01:31 PM
They have gone!! The nest was in the sofa and the soft is outside. The bedroom is clear as well..Praise be :lol:Praise be, indeed! :angel:

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Glad it's sorted Katie .... and yes, know Hexham - I live 20 miles closer to the east coast!:)

cliff.kachinske
05-20-2018, 04:45 PM
I think Katie nailed it as on the technique. Not only is the paint thin, but the way the strokes end in ovals is typical of a wedge.

This technique, with transparent colors over a bold underlayer is extremely high risk. There cannot be a misplaced stroke because a repair will stick out like a sore thumb. It's like improvising in jazz, where once you've played a note there's no taking it back.

idylbrush
05-23-2018, 01:38 PM
In Florida, ants and Palmetto bugs are a seasonal battle. The battle is real & rarely won. I tend toward organic/natural remedies.

Finding more tomatoes almost daily. Happy camper.

Attalus
05-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Yes, ours are beginning to show forth. I served a tomato-basil salad last night and got rave reviews. :)

LavenderFrost
05-24-2018, 10:14 AM
It will be a long time before anyone here picks tomatoes.

I got my corn planted yesterday. Took 2 hours. lol Sometimes you can't just do something without having to do a bunch of other things first. But now when I continue planting I can get right to it. At least I learned that it's quicker to make holes in weed barrier with a torch or lighter than with scissors.

I also cut some grass but it was so hot and dusty so I just did the important areas. I guess it's a good thing I didn't do a lot because I didn't realize the riding mower had a flat tire. Oops.

Not sure how much I'll go outside today. It's supposed to storm and feel like 34 C. Online conversion tells me that's 93.2 F.

Attalus
05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
I always tell people who complain about 98.6F being "such an odd number" for body temperature that it was based on an old Celsius study that reported 37C as the average body temp. One of the few instances of back-conversion hardening into "something everybody knows." There was even a song "Hey, Ninety-Eight Point Six." I always told people who were anxious about "low-grade temperatures" in their kids that if it wasn't above 100.4, it ain't fever.

LavenderFrost
05-25-2018, 10:31 AM
My average temp is 36.4 C. How come that feels normal on the inside and horrible on the outside? lol

I did go outside in the afternoon and planted more veggies. It was cloudy then so it was bearable. It stormed a little in the evening but not bad. I think it was worse in the west.

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2018, 12:09 PM
34C I'd be delighted with this week .... I think I'm suffering from hypothermia .... having to succumb and put heating on ........ I was so cold when I came home late Wednesday to a cold, dark house that I put the fire on and filled a hot-water bottle to cuddle! Sad ........ but it warmed me up before going to bed!:lol:
Right now the heavens are filling our reservoirs - it's teeming icy rain! Brrrr.....

Lady Carol
05-25-2018, 12:17 PM
We have had so much rain this spring. It is kind of good as everything is very lush now.

Attalus
05-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Yeah, Lady C, lush, here, also, including some bugs I have never seen before. I've had to turn the A/C on, boohoo.

ColinS
05-25-2018, 01:23 PM
It is always lush in May here, before the summer drought sets in.

Only 14C though. A little nippy.

The only exotic wildlife we are likely to attract are penguins! :D

Picked up a head cold from our big trip over the long weekend. We are all suffering sinuses, sniffles and sneezes. Blech. I had being sick.

Attalus
05-25-2018, 03:22 PM
I think it's about to get lusher, here. Big thunderstorm just blew in, I had to cancel my walk. :(

LavenderFrost
05-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Feel better soon Colin, this is no time to be sick.

Yesterday morning was nice and then the storm hit in the afternoon. Managed to have some good timing though. Purolater arrived just before the downpour began with my new ultra wide monitor. This will be nice to game on... I mean paint on. :p

Then I went to the post office and got a box from Amazon. Got back home just before the hail started. At least the hail stayed small and didn't damage anything but boy did it pour. All the rain we didn't get just came in one day. There was so much water in the garden, I hope my seeds stayed in place.

Here's my little garden mid storm.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2018/104871-hailMay25_2018.jpg

And my goodies from Amazon.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2018/104871-artsuppliesmay25.jpg

cliff.kachinske
05-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Ink pencils? Draw and then moisten and the color blooms? Right?

ColinS
05-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Feeling way better today and even had the energy to clean the bathroom.

That is some rainstorm Michelle. Have fun on the wide screen.

cliff.kachinske
05-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Feeling way better today and even had the energy to clean the bathroom.

You make that almost sound like a good thing. :lol: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
05-26-2018, 07:22 PM
All right! My new canvas (16" x 20") arrived from DickBlick this morning. I scrubbed it off with warm soapy water (my practice since an unfortunate incident where the acrylic pulled right off the canvas). Not from DB, I hasten to add, a 'bargain' :rolleyes: I got at Hobby Lobby. Anyway,now it is dry, I have started applying the background like a good boy :angel:

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Colin - glad that you're feeling better - seems to be lots of cold bugs around.

Michelle - we've had some really heavy rain - 'stair-rodding' we say! but at least no hail!
Enjoy the new computer and monitor ....... and also the Inktense - I think the pencils are probably better than the Inktense sticks, which I bought and don't like!:( ... have fun!

Been planting up some baskets - still have pots to do - just wish I had a bit more energy but it's hot in the greenhouse and I can only stay there for short periods!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Hey Bill, how about hosting a different Strokes for us in July? We'd appreciate it!:D

idylbrush
05-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Has been raining for several days. Tropical storm and all that. Nothing serious but a slow steady rain. Certainly welcome as we had an extreme dry spring. Putting together a watering system for the tomato pots.

Attalus
05-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Hey Bill, how about hosting a different Strokes for us in July? We'd appreciate it!:DWell, I can't say I don't have an idea. What is involved?

bluefish
05-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Bill....your challenge could be 'Susie with a pearl earring and western attire".....:angel: :wave:

Attalus
05-27-2018, 11:50 PM
Bill....your challenge could be 'Susie with a pearl earring and western attire".....:angel: :wave:Um, no, it involves another artist to riff off of. I can't say I am the only one that ever used Susie as a model, but I am the most recent. :wink2:

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Everything you need can be found in the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19401610#post19401610) Bill ...... and if you need further info, please PM me (or Colin!) and we'll do our best ......... note how I'm roping Colin in!!!!!:lol:

LavenderFrost
05-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Yes, Cliff, they are water soluble and then they dry permanently. That's too bad you didn't like the sticks Maureen. I think people mostly use those by picking up colour with a brush. The pencils are better for colouring directly but you can also pick up colour from the tip.

Glad you're feeling better Colin.

Go for it Bill, it's easy, especially since you already have an idea. Just copy and paste the intro and edit it to suit your challenge.

Attalus
05-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Go for it Bill, it's easy, especially since you already have an idea. Just copy and paste the intro and edit it to suit your challenge.Okay, I'll take July or August, whichever.

cliff.kachinske
05-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Okay, I'll take July or August, whichever.

As long as you have an idea, why don't you take July?

All there is to do besides the original announcement is to check in about every day. I think it's better to engage everyone who posts in the thread. Encourage people.

The more information you post about the artist, the better. Links are okay, too. However, the easier you make it for participants, the better.

Attalus
05-28-2018, 01:03 PM
As long as you have an idea, why don't you take July?

All there is to do besides the original announcement is to check in about every day. I think it's better to engage everyone who posts in the thread. Encourage people.

The more information you post about the artist, the better. Links are okay, too. However, the easier you make it for participants, the better.Okay, will do.

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Bill - I've added you to the Schedule for August ..... and Cliff for July but it's OK for the two of you to swap if preferred. Thanks both :D
Post #187 for the link - but the Schedule thread is a sticky, so always near the top of the forum page.:)

LavenderFrost
05-30-2018, 10:02 AM
I decided to catch up on my blog yesterday, thought it wouldn't take long. Then realized I hadn't posted since October. At least I keep a list of most of my paintings but I didn't write down the reasons for painting them. That's why I was bugging Maureen about catching up on the Different Strokes list. lol I did manage to search up the projects and get my blog caught up. Almost everything have done since October was for a wetcanvas project.

I think today I will finally try out my Inktense pencils.

cliff.kachinske
05-30-2018, 10:33 AM
I think today I will finally try out my Inktense pencils.

Let us know where we can see the results.

bluefish
05-30-2018, 10:51 AM
ditto the Cliff's request!....:wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Michelle -they're all up to date after your prod ...Fede prodded too!;):lol:

AND ...... you need to update your website!!!!!:lol:

Started to learn something new yesterday - Bowls ...... played indoors and really enjoyed it - didn't realise quite how much of a work-out it provides!
Booked a lane for next week too.

Attalus
05-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Good morning, all. Warm to hot, here. Sweating bullets of a different kind working on my latest. Why did Geoff hunt pick such hard weather to paint? :crying:

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2018, 11:40 AM
I'll send some chilled air across Bill - the highest today has been around 11C :(

SusietheModel
05-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Good morning, all. Warm to hot, here. Sweating bullets of a different kind working on my latest. Why did Geoff hunt pick such hard weather to paint? :crying:Maybe because he has been paining since he was a kid, went to art school instead of dissecting puddy tats, and doesn't use paint straight out of the tube? :p

Attalus
05-30-2018, 03:32 PM
He has been "paining" me this week. :lol: As for mixing paint, #1, that is what all those little trays and jar lids that you complain about in my studio are doing there, and, #2, blocking out a pic in mixed paint is masochistic, IMHO. Afterwards is the time for mixing. I'm sure some will disagree. but that's what I do. :)

Attalus
05-30-2018, 03:33 PM
I'll send some chilled air across Bill - the highest today has been around 11C :(The sooner the better, Maureen :)

Charlie's Mum
05-31-2018, 07:01 AM
I think I sent too much .... today it's muggy here! Can't win!

LavenderFrost
05-31-2018, 10:07 AM
I think I might just get rid of my website, it's mostly just an expense.

Also keep thinking I don't really like MKMCreations. But I'm bad with names and decision making.

Bowls? Like bowling?

Very cloudy here, it will probably rain. I have so much to do in the yard, but my new computer came in yesterday and I want to set that up and start transferring files. Also want to finish the picture I started yesterday. And there's laundry. And I want to bake bread.

Can you believe it's the end of May?

ColinS
05-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Michelle, what about "Lavender Frost Art"? I always thought your WC name was very catchy and evocative. I am partial to lavender as we have a lot of it growing around our house and it does well in this weird Anglo-Mediterranean we have. The bees love it when it is blooming.

We walked over to the local pub for dinner last night. A really nice evening for a walk. There is a web of very rural looking back lanes between our place and the "main" street of the village and it is always very pleasant to wander along off the street behind everyone's houses.

I haven't painted much for many months except for the DS Challenges either, but I spent time in the afternoon puttering with a painting I had set aside nearly a year ago. I feel I improved it, from where it was, but it was in a pretty humble state so there was no where to go but "improvement". :lol:.

bluefish
05-31-2018, 12:05 PM
Maureen....when I saw a recent posting, I thught you had started a new career....'modeling'!.....:thumbsup: :lol:

Attalus
05-31-2018, 01:03 PM
Good morning, all. Warm and dry, here. Working on my current project, mainly on the water. I have already learned a lot experimenting on this one. More to do, though.

Charlie's Mum
05-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Maureen....when I saw a recent posting, I thught you had started a new career....'modeling'!.....:thumbsup:
Oh dear, whatever did I say and where?:o :lol: :lol:

Michelle, I like Colin's idea for a name for your website. Such a pretty name, I've always liked it!

Bowls, not 10pin bowling .... played with wooden bowls (called woods) on grass outside, or carpet indoors ... don't you play this across the pond?
I'd include a link but it keeps wanting to paste in a different space ... that's the problem with this tablet!

Attalus
05-31-2018, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=bluefish]Maureen....when I saw a recent posting, I thught you had started a new career....'modeling'!.....:thumbsup:
Oh dear, whatever did I say and where?:o :lol: :lol:

Michelle, I like Colin's idea for a name for your website. Such a pretty name, I've always liked it!

Bowls, not 10pin bowling .... played with wooden bowls (called woods) on grass outside, or carpet indoors ... don't you play this across the pond?
I'd include a link but it keeps wanting to paste in a different space ... that's the problem with this tablet!You mean like Drake was playing when the Spanish Armada hove into sight? I have seen it in pictures but never in life, much less played it. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2018/1992124-Drake_Bowling.jpg

Charlie's Mum
05-31-2018, 05:13 PM
That's the game Bill!
Wikipedia's info (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowls) ......... Michelle - I see by a picture there that Canadians play!:lol:
Took this while watching play in a little Yorkshire town ..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data2//57/medium/Bowls_Pately_Bridge_7_.jpg

bluefish
05-31-2018, 06:32 PM
we play 'bocce', which looks similar....roll balls down a manicured surface ....was in a bocce league last year and just starting for this year....

but always thought this was an Italian game....;)

cliff.kachinske
05-31-2018, 10:10 PM
Bocce is Italian.

ColinS
06-01-2018, 01:58 AM
I don't know about other parts of Canada, but Victoria is a big hub of lawn bowling. There is a well known bowling green downtown. Could be because Drake may have come up as far as Vancouver Island on his round the world trip and left instructions with the local inhabitants.